Eagle Scout Medal at Blue and Gold Banquet

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Cubmaster Pete

Cubmaster Pete

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:49 AM

Acceptable for an adult to wear one at a B&G? I will wear an eagle necker, but a B&G seems like an acceptable occasion to wear the medal. Thoughts?

Cubmaster 2015 to present

Eagle Scout, 1999

#2 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6824 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:15 AM

Sure. The boys would love it.
Mike Walton gives some details on this http://www.scoutinsi...om/eagmedal.htm
And B&G is as formal as it gets in the Cub world.

Although, I never did. Figured my shirt with the knot for Eagle and AoL was plenty.

#3 Stosh

Stosh

• Members
  • 12423 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:28 AM

Except in the woods where one might lose it, what scout activity would it be inappropriate?  Personal choice - 100%

#4 gumbymaster

gumbymaster

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:47 AM

I did, for my Son's first B&G - of course I was shortly thereafter drafted to become the new cubmaster :).

#5 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6824 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:56 AM

One more reference from Bryan's blog: http://blog.scouting...le-scout-medal/

The comments show that you are not the first one to bring up wearing the medal at B&Gs.

#6 Oldscout448

Oldscout448

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

I did, for my Son's first B&G - of course I was shortly thereafter drafted to become the new cubmaster :).

Lol,  pretty much the same thing happened to me !

#7 hendrickms24

hendrickms24

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:28 PM

Lol,  pretty much the same thing happened to me !

I bet you both learned from your mistake.  ;)

#8 Stosh

Stosh

• Members
  • 12423 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:26 PM

I bet you both learned from your mistake.  ;)

Probably not, they are still with Scouting....... :D

#9 Gwaihir

Gwaihir

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:32 PM

lol, wore mine for my son's first B&G... was asked to be the new Cubmaster that same day.  Still debating if I will say yes.  But probably leaning towards it.  

#10 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:48 PM

lol, wore mine for my son's first B&G... was asked to be the new Cubmaster that same day.  Still debating if I will say yes.  But probably leaning towards it.  

Do it! You will regret it if you don't. You know the system and know how it should be run. 

#11 gumbymaster

gumbymaster

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:48 PM

For me, it was a wonderful experience; however, I also had a great pack committee and seasoned (multi-sons) den leaders to support my efforts.

If you can find any remnant of your inner child, and have a desire to improve the scouting experience for your son(s) and the other boys in the unit, then I strongly recommend you accept.

Edited by gumbymaster, 21 February 2017 - 01:49 PM.

#12 Gwaihir

Gwaihir

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:07 PM

For me, it was a wonderful experience; however, I also had a great pack committee and seasoned (multi-sons) den leaders to support my efforts.

If you can find any remnant of your inner child, and have a desire to improve the scouting experience for your son(s) and the other boys in the unit, then I strongly recommend you accept.

Well, that's just it, I have the "desire to improve the scouting experience for my son", it was why I became his Den Leader.  My concern is that the Pack Committee seems to be going through a transition too, so that would be rebuilt as well and I'm not sure what the status on the Den Leaders is, as far as leaving the unit due to age out.  It's a good pack, and I don't think the current Cubmaster and Committee chair would just walk, but theyve been doing it a long time and are looking to step aside and maybe be in an advisory role. Like I said, I'm leaning towards taking the role, just tempering expectations. :) 

#13 Gwaihir

Gwaihir

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:07 PM

Do it! You will regret it if you don't. You know the system and know how it should be run. 

yeah, that's what I'm thinking. :)

#14 gumbymaster

gumbymaster

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:33 AM

I feel like all of us who have been suckered :) into the position are standing around you in a circle chanting "Drink the Coolaid!"

In all seriousness, as long as you are confident that from the start you will not have to do the entire thing yourself (i.e. you have at least some reliable support), then that will give you the time you need to draft additional help and leaders to support your vision.  Sometimes, having this type of change (committee changes after the CM change or vice versa) can be good - if you have a strong vision of what you would like to accomplish.

In my case, I loved doing it, and I was able to bring my vision of some changes I wanted to see, but I was also sometimes intimidated by trying to direct others that had been there and leading the pack (or at least their dens) longer than I had.

#15 Gwaihir

Gwaihir

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:58 AM

I feel like all of us who have been suckered :) into the position are standing around you in a circle chanting "Drink the Coolaid!"

In all seriousness, as long as you are confident that from the start you will not have to do the entire thing yourself (i.e. you have at least some reliable support), then that will give you the time you need to draft additional help and leaders to support your vision.  Sometimes, having this type of change (committee changes after the CM change or vice versa) can be good - if you have a strong vision of what you would like to accomplish.

In my case, I loved doing it, and I was able to bring my vision of some changes I wanted to see, but I was also sometimes intimidated by trying to direct others that had been there and leading the pack (or at least their dens) longer than I had.

everything youve stated has run through my head, and despite my better judgement (i kid), and with some of the encouragement here, I took the position last night.  Now comes the hard part. :)  I'm looking forward to the challenge tho.  Like you said, trying to direct those who are set in their ways and have been doing this a long time, vs the 6th month in new guy... will be interesting.  

#16 Stosh

Stosh

• Members
  • 12423 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:44 AM

Being a new guy is difficult at best.  What we often omit in the discussion is the importance and power of silence.  Listen, observe and reserve judgment.  Gather the intel and be patient.  The time will come when someone in the group offers an opening.  "Well, you've been here for a while.  What do you think?" Now you can speak from your experience of what you've learned by watching, listening, and keeping one's mouth shut. 

Others often are bothered by silence and will open the door for you to walk through unimpeded.

#17 Gwaihir

Gwaihir

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:31 PM

Being a new guy is difficult at best.  What we often omit in the discussion is the importance and power of silence.  Listen, observe and reserve judgment.  Gather the intel and be patient.  The time will come when someone in the group offers an opening.  "Well, you've been here for a while.  What do you think?" Now you can speak from your experience of what you've learned by watching, listening, and keeping one's mouth shut. 

Others often are bothered by silence and will open the door for you to walk through unimpeded.

Thanks Stosh, thats good advice I'll keep in the back pocket. 

#18 gumbymaster

gumbymaster

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:30 PM

@Gwaihir,

The nice thing about cub scouts is that in two years, you will be the old guy, no one will remember that you were the new guy.

#19 Gwaihir

Gwaihir

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:43 PM

@Gwaihir,

The nice thing about cub scouts is that in two years, you will be the old guy, no one will remember that you were the new guy.

too true. :) 

#20 Gwaihir

Gwaihir

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:08 PM

So one of the things I've noticed right off the bat... is seeing the proliferation of handheld video games by the Webelos and AOL scouts (and some of their younger siblings in the other dens) at Pack meetings.  For me, this is not only disrespectful to the other dens, it's a clear sign the older boys are bored.  Anyone run into  this in their units and have some tips on weaning that out?  Granted the AOLs will age out and cross over, but I really want to nip this in the bud but without dropping some kind of ban hammer on them.  That's only going to breed resentment.  Thoughts? 

Edited by Gwaihir, 25 February 2017 - 10:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users