JosephMD

Chapter Adviser & Troop Committee

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:06 PM

Son: I want lights

Me: Sure

Son: headlights and tail lights

Me: that might sound easy, but I'm betting you want white headlights and red tail lights.  There is a problem with that, white LEDs are 3.3 volts, red are 2 volts, are you willing to do the math to design that circuit?

Son: I just want headlights

Me: Good choice, otherwise, everyone would think your dad did all the work.

I didn't tell him that no one would really know that a proper LED circuit would be required, nor that it would all work fine on a 3 volt source, but the whites would be a little dim and the reds would burn out a little fast, but it wouldn't matter in the time it takes to run a few pinewood derby races.

The real hard part would be wiring back to front and to keep it all looking nice!

#2 SSScout

SSScout

• Members
  • 4008 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:29 PM

"I saw the light, I saw the light, no more darkness, no more night.  Now I 'm so happy, no sorrow in sight, 

PRAISE the Lord, I saw the light!"

#3 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12183 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:40 AM

How many volts volts does it take to run the sonic tractor beam? 

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#4 The Latin Scot

The Latin Scot

part Latino, part Scottish ... get it?

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:24 PM

I suppose that would depend on what kind of a reactor you are using on your s̶t̶a̶r̶s̶h̶i̶p̶  car. 

There is no such word as "Webelo." 

The only proper singular of Webelos Scouts is ... WEBELOS SCOUT!  

#5 gumbymaster

gumbymaster

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:11 AM

I believe that it is one-point twenty-one gigawatts.

Finish the race before you start :)

#6 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 6081 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

Now they are going to have to rewrite the rules to ban transporter devices, tractor beams, warp engines, etc. on Pinewood Derby cars.

Flux capacitors too, I guess.

#7 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12183 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

I remember "back in the day" of the Soap Box Derby, there was a boy that used a magnet to pull a jump start off the retaining gate at the top of the hill when it dropped.  I guess boys will be boys.  :)

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#8 gumbymaster

gumbymaster

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:29 AM

Actually, I believe that magnets are explicitly banned in the Pinewood Derby cars (per our district rules) for just such a reason.

#9 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12183 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:17 PM

Of course they are, it offers an unfair advantage to the gravity fed cars whether it be Pinewood or Soap Box.

Stosh

#10 SSScout

SSScout

• Members
  • 4008 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 02:24 PM

Magnets ? Ha !

Let's get serious in our PWD cheat !    ANTI- GRAVITY !   https://www.youtube....h?v=IkNrNFAU4So

#11 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12183 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

Okay, @SSScout how's that car ever going to get to the bottom of the track if it keeps hovering over the starting line?  :)

Stosh

#12 CalicoPenn

CalicoPenn

• Members
  • 3121 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:21 AM

The real hard part would be wiring back to front and to keep it all looking nice!

Unless it was designed to look like an homage to the Back to the Future DeLorean.  It wouldn't have to be carved to look like a DeLorean but attach a Mr. Fusion unit, and run the wiring along the sides, and it will look just fine.  Power each LED off it's own flat battery (which, at about .80 ounces for 4 can double as weights) and you can have both front and rear lights, and add to the effect of the car.  Wanting headlights?  At this point, you're going for the cool factor - maybe winning the design trophy (if the pack has one) and not speed.

Either that or create a nano-sized stable wormhole generator with programmable exit points.

Edited by CalicoPenn, 27 January 2017 - 09:22 AM.

#13 JosephMD

JosephMD

Chapter Adviser & Troop Committee

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:37 PM

A photo of the finished product is attached.

It was not very fast, 12th place overall, but the boy was proud of winning the overall coolest car award. 

Cant seem to attach the file :(

Edited by JosephMD, 30 January 2017 - 12:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq