Looks like I'll be finally checking off IOLS this weekend.  Doing a last minute sign-up to the course they are running concurrent with our troop's camporee.  Wasn't planning to attend camporee since they didn't need more adults, but figured this is maybe a more efficient use of the weekend.... I can camp and eat with the troop and go to "school" while they are having fun.

Not too exciting looking at the agenda, but i am hopeful that it'll be fun and that I'll learn some good tips, maybe a different twist on doing things the BSA way, make some friends, etc....

But didn't I see rumblings that IOLS was switching to a shorter course length.....as in maybe a day course or something?  This is still a Friday evening to Sunday thing.....

Looks like I'll be finally checking off IOLS this weekend.  Doing a last minute sign-up to the course they are running concurrent with our troop's camporee.  Wasn't planning to attend camporee since they didn't need more adults, but figured this is maybe a more efficient use of the weekend.... I can camp and eat with the troop and go to "school" while they are having fun.

Not too exciting looking at the agenda, but i am hopeful that it'll be fun and that I'll learn some good tips, maybe a different twist on doing things the BSA way, make some friends, etc....

But didn't I see rumblings that IOLS was switching to a shorter course length.....as in maybe a day course or something?  This is still a Friday evening to Sunday thing.....

Wait IOLS without you being assigned to a patrol where your PL assembles a crappy menu, and you kind of go along with it because the staff were gonna prop themselves up as judges and award the best meal?

Bro, you're being shortchanged. :p

Actually, it sounds like the best way to endure it ... go to class ... go back to your troop site and cry about it ... repeat.

But, be patient. Make new friends. Look for the nuggets.

IOLS was where I first learned about geocaching. Picking up a new hobby that sometimes annoys the heck out of family ... worth the price of admission.

haha, yeah, I've geocached already a little bit.... then a couple years ago took geocaching with my son at U of Scouting.  I'd like to do more of it from time to time but its not something I see myself really ever getting in deep with....

Actually it's role playing that I might dislike the worst about things like this.... so the whole "playing patrol" doesn't sound like much fun to me.  Playing is very different that really doing it I think.

I'm already and avid camper and have always liked doing most of the things that scouts do so I'm just hoping this isn't a repeat of baloo.  No doubt there will be some nuggets, and I'll be looking for them.

I just wish they were tagging on wilderness 1st aid to the class too.  that'll be the only other formal training I'm looking to check off....

IOLS is only properly done if you are a patrol for the weekend, in my opinion. We had 4 Patrols when i did it several years ago. We had a PL, duty roster for cooking and cleaning for meals, etc. We did everything the way the boys are supposed to, so that we learned to see the program from the Scout's perspective. If you are "playing patrol", or just there for the lessons, you aren't getting the whole experience. My program ran from dinner on Friday through mid-afternoon on Sunday, and we could have still covered more. I was a Scout, and have been involved as a leader since my 15 year-old was a Tiger. This is not anything like BALOO or OWLS if done properly.

• Upvote 1

What he said....

IOLS is supposed to be Scouting For The Adult Leader.   The idea was (is?)  originally to "earn"  the First Class rank:   Find trees and animal sign, cook and clean up, Do map and compass, knots, lashings, Knife and Axe (make a tent peg?) and learn what "Scout's Own " is supposed to mean.  And the ever popular "et cetera".

They (they) dropped First Aid from the offishul curriculum , but our training committee decided to add in a "Human Physiology Under Duress"  section as an "added value".

Class room instruction next to a Camporee?   Might work, but I dunno...   You need the overnight thing, the Patrol thing, the Campfire thing.... Even the Sabbath Allowed weekend is appropriately needed.

Walk around the Camporee site and note the different types of Troop Camping bring that to your IOLS instructors for discussion.   See what they say about the different philosopies demonstrated.

See you on the trail.

I can camp and eat with the troop and go to "school" while they are having fun.

Not too exciting looking at the agenda,

Think of this as an opportunity to network and meet others in the scouting community!  Have fun!  Be serious, BUT not too serious!  Don't be THAT guy!

Have FUN!   

ok, valid points that I can understand based on that logic.

but

the kink is this

we're adults, with adult experience and knowledge, not boys.

and even though we might ideally be the boy-man that BP described (wasn't that the term he used?). we still can't truly look at it from the boy perspective fully (unless perhaps if we're an 18-20ish year old)

and we are coming into this very often with extensive camping and outdoor knowledge and experience.  granted maybe not the best experience sets, but still.....

it certainly seems like a challenge to balance and get this thing "right".

Should be fun to see how it goes.

IOLS is only properly done if you are a patrol for the weekend, in my opinion. We had 4 Patrols when i did it several years ago. We had a PL, duty roster for cooking and cleaning for meals, etc. We did everything the way the boys are supposed to, so that we learned to see the program from the Scout's perspective. If you are "playing patrol", or just there for the lessons, you aren't getting the whole experience. My program ran from dinner on Friday through mid-afternoon on Sunday, and we could have still covered more. I was a Scout, and have been involved as a leader since my 15 year-old was a Tiger. This is not anything like BALOO or OWLS if done properly.

if done properly.  I don't want to be so much the pessimist going in, but I have seen very little to none of the bsa training I've had to date really shine as being "done properly".  I'm not sure what "proper" should be in this case really, so we'll see.....  at least it'll be a good try!

Walk around the Camporee site and note the different types of Troop Camping bring that to your IOLS instructors for discussion.   See what they say about the different philosopies demonstrated.

I don't know.... that could be a great classroom exercise.....ok class, grab your notebooks, we're gonna tour the camp for the next hour and observe different troops form afar....

IOLS is only properly done if you are a patrol for the weekend, in my opinion.

I agree with this!  They have shortened the agenda so the people that BELLY ach about having to go to a weekend long training would shut up.  Now they will have a different reason to complain.

I disagree, Patrol Method should be taught as part of Scoutmaster/ASM Position-Specific training, IOLS should concentrate on the basic nuts and bolts of how to camp/cook/firstaid safetly.  Combining the two trainings into one weekend is ideal, but shouldn't be the only delivery method.

would it be more appropriate to say that it should concentrate on how to teach those basic nuts and bolts?

or

based on how other have defined it

maybe it should concentrate on how to apply the patrol method (meaning hands-on)?

Our council once did a poll of Scoutmasters to learn why they felt the Council Youth Leadership course JLTC (NYLT) wasn't working. Top on the list the Scoutmasters said there was a disconnect between the troop leaders and what the course was teaching the scouts. How could they support their scouts if they don't know what they learned. 

blw2, have you asked the Scoutmaster (or CC, I guess) what they would like you to bring back from the course to help the troop program? What can IOLS teach you that your troop can't or hasn't already taught you?

Barry

• Upvote 1

blw2, have you asked the Scoutmaster (or CC, I guess) what they would like you to bring back from the course to help the troop program? What can IOLS teach you that your troop can't or hasn't already taught you?

no, but an interesting question to ponder.....

my guess is that neither would know how to answer such a question.

The cc isn't really overly knowledgeable about the program other than having been involved as an interested and active parent (don't intend that as an insult or complaint in any way, just fact as I see it)

and the SM already know what he knows, whey would he need me to bring anything...

AND

I haven't been asked to be an ASM.  I'm only doing it to be a better MC (BOR's, etc...), and because it's where my interest really lies...... I enjoy the stuff that scouts do, not MC stuff really.

still an interesting question to ponder......

I took it a few years ago so I'm not sure how it has changed but it was a condensed road to first class. I've been camping for more decades than I care to admit and I have advanced first aid certifications. I thought I knew it all when I went to the training but I still managed to learn a lot and have a good time.

Go with an open mind and remain with your patrol. I'd advise against going to eat with your troop. Afterall, would you want your kids who are going through NYLT sneaking away to go join your troop at summer camp?

Yes WB works the Patrol Method , and the SMSpecific SHOULD  teach the Patmeth, but IOLS is meant to let the erstwhile Scouter  LIVE the PatMeth themselves. 

BSA wants everyone to at least try to be equally knowledgeable.  Not everyone is experienced in camping when they decide to help the unit. Scouting?  Absolutely the thing I want our boys to have, to experience. Look at Neil Armstrong and all those other great Eagle Scouts!  But how do you do it?  

If you are to "judge" the Scout in his earning First Class, what does that mean?   Which way is North?  Is that really a bowline, or will it slip when you need it?  Tautline hitch?  Aw, I'd rather use a bungee cord (you would?  The rope is always there. bungees break...).  B-P  wanted our boys to be amateur naturalists, not only to be comfortable in the woods, but to appreciate them. Not everyone is that ready.  IOLS is meant to give folks a primer in these skills,  maybe make a neophyte want to  explore things more. 

I tell the story of the American Chestnut to our IOLS classes. Most are totally ignorant of this classic example of ecological disaster. On the trail above our campsite,  I point out the American Chestnut stumps, with their short treelings , trying to grow, only to be killed off by the blight before they are a foot high.

If ,as you say, IOLS looks "not too interesting" because of your own expertise,  go and share your knowledge.  Help someone else "get the urge".   Heck, I bet your District would love to have some help setting up the next course!  

I know  "death by Power Point " deflated our Round Table sessions.  Same thing can happen at IOLS. 

Like all things Scout, it SHOULD be learned by DOING, not by watching only.  

I once had a man attend our course, he said he was eager to help his son's Troop do Scouting, but he said he would never think of being a Scoutmaster. This (IOLS) was his first camping trip.  He had bought a tent at a yard sale, would I help him set it up?   It was an old Eureka, a good tent, but it had no rain fly!   Oh, what's that?  We found a tarp to stretch over his "almost " tent.  The mere fact that others would help him thru his problem (yes, it rained that night) made Scouting all the more important to him.

"Pass it on" by attending and teach as well as learn....

See you on the trail.

• Upvote 1