• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Gwaihir

Gwaihir

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:49 PM

Okay,  I'll bite

1) Mrs. Trump has been a US citizen for only 10 years.  I will cut her a little slack in the US Flag Code for civilians.  Is the First Lady a "civilian"?    I dunno.  Probably.   I'm not going to judge. When in doubt, stand at attention.  Which she is doing.

2) President Trump is Commander-in-Chief of all US military.  Military salute is in order.  Civilian FLAG CODE does not apply to non-civilians.  

Commander-in-chief of the US military is still a civilian.  this was by design.  Presidents saluting the military in return is fairly new (around Reagan).  I dont have context for the photo tho, are they standing for the flag, or military on parade as they pass by?  

#22 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11752 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:53 PM

Whereas the salute is now a sign of respect, whether it be a hand to the eyebrow, a hand over the heart, a sword swoop, or simply standing at attention, it is all the same.  Like @UncleP said, they are all showing respect, and for me that's better than most out there.

I Scout Salute when I'm in uniform, hand/heart salute when not,  When I was a reenactor I saluted with hand, gun and sword depending on what rank I was currently in.  I never served in the military in that I was medically unqualified and given a 4-F designation.  I appealed it and was denied. 

And I also stand at attention and face the Canadian flag when Oh, Canada plays. 

As far as that picture goes, the serious expression on each of their faces says more than which salute they happen to chose to honor the flag.

I haven't seen such an uproar about saluting since John Kennedy, Jr. saluted his father at his funeral. 

Edited by Stosh, 22 January 2017 - 08:56 PM.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#23 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 5769 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:03 PM

The president is definitely a civilian. But it is a unique civilian position. Members of the military salute the president and there has been some discussion over the years of whether the president is supposed to salute back. I personally don't care what the president does with his hand when the flag is going by. In the current administration, it doesn't even make the list of things I'm concerned about.

#24 ianwilkins

ianwilkins

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:16 AM

Isn't the most important thing that they were showing respect for the flag.

Yes. Unless you're looking for a stick to beat someone with.

#25 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 5769 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:25 AM

This has nothing to do with anything, but can anyone tell me the branch of service and rank of the military officer standing in the middle of that photo?  I used to have sort of a generalized familiarity and interest in U.S. military uniforms, but apparently I haven't kept up.  I am pretty sure it is an Army uniform, but what about the rank?  I understand that the insignia on the shoulder is not visible, but there is that wide stripe on each sleeve.  I thought that was just a Navy thing.  I know we have some military people here who will know the answer.

#26 walk in the woods

walk in the woods

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:30 AM

This has nothing to do with anything, but can anyone tell me the branch of service and rank of the military officer standing in the middle of that photo?  I used to have sort of a generalized familiarity and interest in U.S. military uniforms, but apparently I haven't kept up.  I am pretty sure it is an Army uniform, but what about the rank?  I understand that the insignia on the shoulder is not visible, but there is that wide stripe on each sleeve.  I thought that was just a Navy thing.  I know we have some military people here who will know the answer.

Looks Army to me.  Double eggs on the brim of the cover so "up there" a ways.

#27 MattR

MattR

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:37 AM

Haven't a clue, NJ. He looks like he's wearing an army uniform but I thought the pants were supposed to be blue. As for his rank, he's got stars, or he wouldn't be standing where he is.

What does strike me is his posture. Note to self, never salute while standing next to someone in the military.

#28 Cambridgeskip

Cambridgeskip

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

In most navies a single broad ring on the sleeve is a commodore or equivalent (so equivalent to an army brigadier) but like you say in most countries it's a navy or air force thing. Also brigadier/commodore while a senior rank still seems rather junior to be stood where he is.

#29 Fehler

Fehler

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:18 PM

That is Major General Bradley Becker, according to Google Image Search.

#30 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 5769 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:38 PM

That is Major General Bradley Becker, according to Google Image Search.

Thanks Fehler. And Google tells me that Gen. Becker is commander of Joint Force Headquarters - National Capital Region, which explains what he is doing in the middle of that picture.

#31 DuctTape

DuctTape

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

I wish all people would show respect to others and treat them with kindness more than they do for symbols.

#32 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11752 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

:) we wouldn't have anything to talk about under I&P.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq