weird patrol names

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 David CO

David CO

• Members
  • 838 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:42 PM

so my son tells me the other day that his patrol wants to change their name to "Illuminati".... I'm scratching my head on that one.... where are they getting this stuff from???

Currently they are "Cyber Ducks" but that was not by consensus and the scout pushing that one dropped out.

They got it from The Davinci Code.

#42 David CO

David CO

• Members
  • 838 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:50 PM

The Barenaked Ladles.  They actually found a patch with a ladle.

They can sing the theme to The Big Bang Theory.  Their patrol yell is BANG!

Edited by David CO, 24 January 2017 - 06:57 PM.

#43 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2863 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:54 PM

That is likely the source given the timing, but the story goes back many decades.  https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Illuminati

I remember magazine ads when I was a boy warning that the Illuminati were secretly at work in the background - up to no good. People worried over such things are still around.  

#44 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12207 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:55 AM

The reason they call all these organizations secret societies is because they don't what people to know that they exist.... :eek:

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#45 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 6082 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:09 AM

The red berets provoke a wide variety of reactions.  I remember that during my time as a Boy Scout, the red beret was introduced as an option, along with the campaign hat and the baseball cap.  (I don't remember whether you could still choose the garrison cap, which had been the only option up to that time.)  Our troop voted for the campaign hat, but within a few years, voted to switch to the baseball cap.  And yet other troops did go for the red beret.  I have seen a couple that still do, even though some effort is involved in obtaining them, since the BSA no longer sells them.

#46 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12207 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:37 AM

There's a couple dozen of them for sale right now on Ebay. 

Between Google and Ebay, there's no longer any reason to come out of your parents basement anymore.

Edited by Stosh, 25 January 2017 - 11:38 AM.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#47 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2863 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:24 PM

https://www.yelp.com...vondale-estates

#48 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12207 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:23 PM

Well, I don't know much about kids today, but when Iwent to college, we would spend most of our time at the Library.

https://www.yelp.com...crosse?osq=Bars

Stosh

#49 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2863 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:36 PM

Brother, lots of what was in libraries is online.

Things change over a hundred years.   :p

#50 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12207 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:27 PM

I assume you didn't look at the link.  What was in this library one couldn't Google.  :)

Stosh

#51 Tampa Turtle

Tampa Turtle

• Members
  • 2505 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:03 AM

Our Scouts love the red berets, we use them for the color guard. 

#52 Deaf Scouter

Deaf Scouter

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:34 PM

Barking spiders.  Just heard it the other day for NSP.

#53 krypton_son

krypton_son

All Around Troublemaker

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:37 AM

Barking spiders.  Just heard it the other day for NSP.

I love that.

#54 elitts

elitts

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:13 AM

About 2 months after the 2015 BSA rule change on homosexual leaders, our new scout patrol finally got around to naming themselves.

I had to stifle a laugh when their patrol leader announced that they would henceforth be "The Flaming Patrol". 

#55 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2863 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

Two more.

Otherwise blank BSA patrol patch with black stitching forming a 1/4" irregular dot slightly off center.   "The Distant Birds."  Call: mouths open and close with no sound emerging.

Solid black patch.  "The Event Horizon"  Call: "Lights Out!"

#56 KenD500

KenD500

Oh Great Bearded One

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:03 AM

2 small Patrols just merged.  The Flaming Tomahawks & the Merlins.  They became the Flaming Merlins.  

#57 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2863 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:16 AM

Flaming Arrows ----> Ice Cubes = Flaming Ice Cubes.  Patrol Call: "We're melting !!!"

Eagles ---> Hawks = Eeeks.      Patrol Call: Eeeeeeeek !!!

Love it.

#58 CalicoPenn

CalicoPenn

• Members
  • 3122 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:04 PM

We had a Rubber Duck patrol - not so weird name actually but the patrol yell was "Rubber Ducky, we're so fine" but the really cool thing was the patrol flag - the patrol had a Scout who was a really good artist and he drew a picture of Ernie driving a chartreuse microbus getting in not just one but two rubber duck references without actually drawing a rubber duck. 

As for the beret - my unit wore berets - the only ones that didn't like the berets were the new scouts whose parents bought them berets a size or so to big because "they'll grow in to them" and whose berets were not worn in yet.  Everyone with well-fit and worn in berets loved them.  Summer camp was a great place to get them worn in by the way (when you "accidentally" forget to take it off when swimming, or stuffing them in your sleeping bag while sleeping, etc.).  Of all of the BSA's hats, the beret was the most useful - hands down.  A beret could be used as a pot holder, a trivet (something to place a hot pot on), a water carrier (or for that matter a mulberry or raspberry or strawberry or blueberry or etc. carrier), a Frisbee, a kickball base, a bandage to clamp on to a gushing wound, a blindfold (with the aid of a neckerchief to hold it), a capture-the-flag flag - and on and on.  A garrison cap can do a number of those but make horrible Frisbees.  A smoky bear hat can do a number of those but would you really use one for a Frisbee or a base?  A baseball cap - well they're just useless except as a carrier.  Plus - the more abused and worn in they got, the sharper they looked because they could be worn correctly.  In a parade of Scouts, while the smoky bear hats looked sharp, the berets looked equally sharp and as a bonus, seemed to radiate active.

#59 5yearscouter

5yearscouter

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:10 PM

WE have a patrol that just renamed itself the Old Spice scented Leprechauns. I'm not sure the patrol yell yet.

#60 SouthernTierScouter

SouthernTierScouter

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:08 PM

We had a breakfast food rivalry going for a while.

The Bacon Ninja Patrol

and the

The Savage Sausages

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq