Wayback machine... 1983-ish

Maybe some of our "greybeards" can help me with some vintage uniforming questions. (And, yes, my own beard is pretty grey these days.)

My uniform collection consists of original ODL, brown button shirts and the matching pants with the cargo pockets on the side. I'm familiar with what was correct accessories and patch wear for a Scout/Scouter of that time but I never paid any attention to the Cub Scout side at the time. Now that I'm a Cubmaster, I'd like to know what was period correct wear. What hat, neckerchief and slide, specifically, would have been worn by a Cubmaster back then. Was the current "Cub Scout Leader" neckerchief the same as the one worn back then? Would the Cub Scout slide bearing a Wolf on a blue background be period correct? And what kind of hat was the Cubmaster supposed to wear? The green ball cap with the red front? Anything else I'm missing?

1983? That's the year I was born! (A few weeks later and it would have been 1984, lol)

Anyway, in regards to your questions, I believe there was at the time a generic "Cub Scout" hat that was blue and yellow with a red logo on the front. I am not sure if I am thinking of the right period (I don't remember those days very well), but I am inclined to believe that may have been the correct headgear at any rate. I am sure others here will know better.

Edited by The Latin Scot

That was the beauty of ODL, switching programs was just a matter of switching epaulets and neckers ... Unless you decided to advise an explorer post or Sea Scout ship. For those folks, tan shirts were a step down.

I was really proud of my new tan shirt until I realized that those scouts weren't shedding their greens or whites. So much for one shade to rule them all.

1) WELCOME TO DA FORUMS!

2) Regarding Cub Scout Leaders uniforms and ODL mk1 uniforms, pretty much what is worn today The current CS leader necker was the same. Webelos DL had a patch on it with the gold edging, not the embroidered emblem of today.

The hat and the slide have changed. Correct hat for a CM and DLs would be this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CUB-SCOUTS-WOLF-HAT-SNAPBACK-ADJUSTABLE-UNION-MADE-IN-THE-USA-VGC-/272483876135?hash=item3f714dfd27:g:zYQAAOSw-0xYTyvB 

Webelos DLs would have this one minus the pins http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cub-Boy-Scout-Hat-with-Pins-Excellent-Condition-/201730348939?hash=item2ef810d78b:g:afgAAOSwiONYK6ou

Slide for DLs and CM would be the general CS one     http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cub-Wolf-Boy-Scout-Neckerchief-Slide-Tie-Clip-Gold-Blue-/371731606215?hash=item568cee2ac7:g:Jh8AAOSwgZ1XqlD~

WDLs would wear the current Webelos slide.

And as Tampa Turtle states, you could make your own.

• Upvote 2

Thanks Eagle94-A1!

That fills in the missing pieces for me. I was pretty sure about the neckerchief and slide, but I wasn't too sure about the headgear back then. Heck, even today it's not obvious what the "correct" official headgear is for a Cubmaster. As near as I can tell it's the green Boy Scout ball cap, but the Cubmaster is the only one in the Pack to wear it.

While I still have my original ODL "mk1" (LOVE that term, btw) and can still button the shirt, my wife says I may not wear it in public. But I REALLY don't like the zip-off pants and I'm none too impressed with the newer shirts either. So thanks be to eBay. So I'm still on the lookout for the old "Trained" version of the Cubmaster patch with the silver/mylar highlights and now, apparently, an appropriate hat. But other than that eBay and patience has been my friend.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

The zip off pants are great in the field, especially the "gen 1" switchbacks with the zippers at the ankles. I've unzipped the ankle zipper, unzipped the lower leg, and pulled the leg off without taking off the boots.

FYI the ODLs, the "Centennial Uniform" (i.e. the one with the "smokes pocket on the sleeve) and whatever they are calling the current ones (without the smokes pocket) are all interchangable. So you can wear your ODL shirt with the new pants, wear the old insignia on the new uniform etc.

• 1 year later...
45 minutes ago, krikkitbot said:

1983? Weren't Cubs wearing beanies back then? ;)

Well, I know I wore the "beanie" when I was a Cub Scout (1966-1969; I don't recall a separate Webelos hat from back then) and I know they were long gone by the time my son became a Cub Scout around 1998.  When they got rid of them in between there, I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in cub scouts during that era and my dad was cubmaster.  My recollection is he NEVER wore a neckerchief and slide of any kind.  He did wear a long sleeve shirt and necktie.  This is a photo of me getting my Bobcat badge, and that is my dad (CM) holding me.

Jeffrey Bobcat.jpg

• Like 1