Scouting ties in the Trump Administration

I have always thought our nation does not need to stoop to the standard of behavior of our "enemies".   We need to act from the "moral high ground" of  open, honest dealings.   When we act to support dictators and fascist states because it "suits our purpose", we show the world not what our ideals are, but what we see our realities are.

The hypocracy of our actions speaks louder than our protestations to the contrary. 

We often seem to show that our military strength is what is important, not our desire to help bring health, economic stability and freedom of life to others.

Scouting values as a basis of action is not the worst thing possible., but it is hard to follow.  The world intrudes on our dreams of brotherhood.  Do we dare to act on our ideals, or do we give way to the "realities"  propounded by the latest radio pundit?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trump followed up on the military school with five draft deferments and, later, berating John McCain for being captured in Vietnam.

I don't understand why you think it is ironic.

Maybe the Eagle Scouts in Trump's administration should take him camping. Get the President out in the woods, away from the TV and Twitter.  Have a nice campfire with lots of coffee and dutch oven m

Presidents who dealt with dictators or totalitarian regimes:

Rosevelt

Truman

Eisenhower

Kennedy

Johnson

Nixon

Ford

Carter

Bush 1

Clinton

Bush 2

Obama

It's a rough neighborhood out there.  People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

• 2 weeks later...

If one were to read some of the early literature of the BSA one would conclude that the role of SM is significantly less than it is today.  The boys would head out for summer camp (which would last most of the summer) and the SM would come out on the weekends to check on how they were doing.

It is remarkable how much we have "progressed" over the years.

To get back to an earlier point, Tico Perez  is entitled to express his opinion as a private citizen but I didn't not like him using his BSA association to do so. I expect if I was do to show up in my BSA uniform at a protest against Tillerson and the photo went viral I would be getting stated the Apolitical Policy. So I don't but I think Tico took advantage of his status...he knew there was not likely to be any consequences to him. Disappointed. 

But what do I know.

BSA survived Nixon and Bill Clinton.  

The World is full of bad examples.   Many are breathlessly hailed by the Media as the present Great Thing - or not, depending on politics.  

It's our job to do better in our units = Adult Association

• Upvote 1

If one were to read some of the early literature of the BSA one would conclude that the role of SM is significantly less than it is today.  The boys would head out for summer camp (which would last most of the summer) and the SM would come out on the weekends to check on how they were doing.

It is remarkable how much we have "progressed" over the years.

And it's getting worse. Now people are getting arrested and being hassled by social services for letting their kids walk to school or play in the park. Or the "he/she is too young to stay home without adult supervision, he is only 13". Huh? My first babysitters were 12 and 13 years old when I was little. Now 13 year-olds need babysitters?

• Upvote 1

In the wee hours of every morning I would get up and put 12 miles on my bicycle all by myself.  In the winter it was not yet light out.  I was 12 years old and it was called a paper-route, those things that are done today by adults in cars.  Again a society can fall apart in 50 years as being attested to now.

Maybe it was because the 12 and 13 year old kids of 50 years ago were more mature and responsible than their counterparts of today.

Edited by Stosh

Yeah, Stosh, "uphill in both directions."

I know what you're driving at, tho,  I think it comes from lots more of society being done by "others".  Even grass watering is automatic, now.  That was a "job" for the boy back then.  The kid learned about being trusted to do a job to the satisfaction of his "boss" at an early age. Where is a kid to learn about the success/reward of his efforts?  Mom and dad are away from home and then are often too dragged out to pay attention to Jr.'s  activities (Scouts?) so he learns his societal lessons from the Wii.  

The kids around the area here'bouts  often got to go to the County for job training and "Teen Career" opportunities.   Can't just go down to the local store and ask about sweeping up, or collecting pop bottles for the deposit (what's that, dad?)  I made a nice bit cleaning out my dad's  trucks every afternoon.  Not possible now.

But there are notable exceptions....

Since we knew a local custom farmer, and were able to buy haybales from him for CSDC and borrow tractors for "Wonderful Wheels", Scoutson met him early on.  Farmer told him, "See me when you're 16, you'll have a job!"  Scoutson earned his Class B, and has worked for the farmer or his partner ever since.  At 22, he is the operations manager in everything but title, and puts more money in the bank than his mom and dad combined. (We pay the mortgage, so not much goes into the bank!) . Scoutson comes home with stories about the "good ole boys" and "college kids" and "old timers" and  "nouveau riche"  he has come across in his farm  travels.  He is getting an education in life, might even write the novel some day....