Scouting ties in the Trump Administration

Regarding the nudity and its inappropriateness in a scouting statue, can you find any official scouting literature or website which pictures this Boy Scout Commemorative Tribute Memorial? Maybe the Scout Handbook? Sculpture MB? Art MB? Citizenship in Nation MB? Guide to Safe Scouting?

As I recall, it is a waypoint for several (if not all four) of the History of Scouting Trail hikes.

http://www.ncacbsa.org/activitiesevents/host-hike/

Does Boys Life count?

http://boyslife.org/features/141272/scout-history-tour-of-washington-d-c/

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trump followed up on the military school with five draft deferments and, later, berating John McCain for being captured in Vietnam.

I don't understand why you think it is ironic.

Maybe the Eagle Scouts in Trump's administration should take him camping. Get the President out in the woods, away from the TV and Twitter.  Have a nice campfire with lots of coffee and dutch oven m

As I recall, it is a waypoint for several (if not all four) of the History of Scouting Trail hikes.

http://www.ncacbsa.org/activitiesevents/host-hike/

Does Boys Life count?

http://boyslife.org/features/141272/scout-history-tour-of-washington-d-c/

Yes Boy's Life counts. I appreciate the courteous camera angle. :)  Gumbymaster, you win a rubber chicken dinner.

scouthistory.jpg

Back on topic.

My predictions/hopes:

- There will be more in-person appearances at scout fundraisers and events to our benefit. Some may argue that it will be political self-serving by the new administration, but IMO it would be an improvement over past administrations ignoring scouting due to perceived political correctness.

- We could use a better working service relationship with the US Park Service maybe centered on a modified Hornaday Award. Work for free access?

My $0.02,

Ah, but if our next president were to actually do all that, would you fellows be willing to give him the credit due him?

My biggest concern is that any in-person appearances to promote scouting would be protested and disrupted by left wing agitators.  Scouting doesn't need that.

My hope is that we can get scouting back in the schools. I would like to see a real push for school chartered Boy Scout units.

Edited by David CO

The times we live in. I was impressed with FBI Director James Comey politeness and professionalism during heated hearings and interviews - his "Boy Scout image*" as some media called it. Maybe that should be a new public role for Scouting - help restore civility in the US.  IMO much harder than other scouting roles: helping Smokey, disaster relief, physical fitness, STEM, even leadership.

I agree we need to get scouting back in schools.

*To my knowledge, James Comey was not a scout.

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1

"we've uncovered the hidden Boy Scout influence on [the Trump] administration"

Unfortunately, they laughed at this quote. Again, the image is that Boy Scouts are quaint. It seems that character is about as important as hair color.

• Upvote 1

The proportions of the figures are not wrong.  It is intentional. By making the 2 figures larger than life, the artist is further conveying the message that they are meant to be seen as allegorical figures.

I think the memorial is really ugly. I have no problem with neoclassical style, or the nudity. Nor is it that the adult figures are oversized. It's that the figures are badly realized and distorted. Enough to enter the uncanny valley. The result just looks wrong.

I've seen plenty of neoclassical sculpture, and they don't usually appear distorted like this. These simply look badly done.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, they laughed at this quote. Again, the image is that Boy Scouts are quaint. It seems that character is about as important as hair color.

I think they were laughing because, while Trump may want to associate with people in Scouting, his controversial background tends to run against the principles of Scouting.

I think they were laughing because, while Trump may want to associate with people in Scouting, his controversial background tends to run against the principles of Scouting.

Unlike a president who had used illegal drugs throughout much of his teenage years, Donald Trump led a spit and polish life in military school, played sports, and worked construction during the summer. If he had had the time, I think Donald Trump would have made a very good Boy Scout.

No, I think they are laughing because they are liberal pundits who like to mock the other half of the country.

Edited by David CO

Does National wait until the National Annual meeting in May to name a new Honorary President?

IMO during Scout Week in February with abundant social media attention, National should dispatch select groups of scouts with invitations to Jambo, etc. Whoever we want - the President, Cabinet members, famous Eagles, etc. invite them during Scout Week.

We might even get a Scout display in the Trump Tower lobby. :D

Another $0.02,

Edited by RememberSchiff

Donald Trump led a spit and polish life in military school, played sports, and worked construction during the summer. If he had had the time, I think Donald Trump would have made a very good Boy Scout.

Trump followed up on the military school with five draft deferments and, later, berating John McCain for being captured in Vietnam.

• Upvote 3

Does National wait until the National Annual meeting in May to name a new Honorary President?

IMO during Scout Week in February with abundant social media attention, National should dispatch select groups of scouts with invitations to Jambo, etc. Whoever we want - the President, Cabinet members, famous Eagles, etc. invite them during Scout Week.

The naming of the honorary president is probably automatic -- it has happened for every US President since Taft.  I assume the President, as well as past and present BSA national presidents, board members and major donors are invited to the Jamboree as a routine.  There may be a good chance that Trump attends the Jamboree this year, as the G20 summit will occur weeks earlier.

The naming of the honorary president is probably automatic -- it has happened for every US President since Taft.  I assume the President, as well as past and present BSA national presidents, board members and major donors are invited to the Jamboree as a routine.  There may be a good chance that Trump attends the Jamboree this year, as the G20 summit will occur weeks earlier.

The method of invitation may need some reconsideration. Consider

Setting the Record Straight Presidential Visits to the BSA National Jamboree

"Of the 18 National Jamborees that have occurred (not counting the cancelled 1935 National Jamboree and combining both 1973 locations into one event), a sitting President of the United States of America has only attended 7 times. That’s only about 39% of the time."

Interesting information in that link.

- The first National Jamboree was to occur in 1935 but was canceled due to a polio outbreak. FDR attended the rescheduled first National Jamboree in 1937.

- Before elected President, General Eisenhower attended the 1950 Jamboree as a speaker. He only attended one while President.

- Nixon attended two Jamborees as VP but none as President.

- The most/least Jamborees occurring during a Presidency: Eisenhower (3), Kennedy and Ford (0)

- Longest consecutive streak of unattended Jamborees by a sitting President: 5 (1969-1985)

- While serving as President, Obama, Carter, and Reagan never attended a Jamboree.

The only sitting Cabinet member to attend, that I found, was Secretary of Defense Robert Gates.

""The only sitting Cabinet member to attend, that I found, was Secretary of Defense Robert Gates.""

Yeah, but did he sleep in a tent?  :-)

Hiker67:  You sound like someone of my vintage.

I would point out (in agreement with the College Board Testing Corp.) that the only prediction of future behavior/activities is past behavior/activities.  And that is not always accurate, yes?  Still, if we look at Mr. Trump's past statements, pronouncements and activities and behavior,   what could we expect?   He made his monetary success based on strategically declared bankruptcies and not keeping his corporate word or being really concerned about the ultimate results of his  decisions on other people.   

There are too many times Mr. Trump has stated something as "fact"  and refused to retract or correct his statement when it has been proven incorrect or flat out wrong.  The world really is round. There are too many times when he has denigrated a "type" of person or one individual purely because he has not liked what they said about him.  This is a politician?  Is this someone who is willing to work WITH people toward a jointly beneficial goal?

Perhaps we really do get the president we deserve. 

"""Politics is the best show in America. I love animals and I love politicians, and I like to watch both of 'em at play, either back home in their native state, or after they've been captured and sent to a zoo, or to Washington."""   =  Will Rogers =