Venturing Uniform Pants

So I've always heard that for Venturing uniforming, its either the complete uniform made available by the BSA or a totally distinct uniform. ...

What do you think?

I think you either heard your instructor poorly, your instructor was misinformed, or your instructor's zeal for uniforming drove him/her to deceive.

The only uniform for Venturing is the recommended green shirt and gray pants.  There is nothing required of a uniform at all at the Venturing level, just the option of having a green shirt.

I was a Venturing Advisor for 12+ years and we never had a crew uniform.

The deception may have started at the scout shop http://www.scoutstuff.org/venturing-uniform.htmlwhose lackeys stand to gain from ignorance that, for a person to be nationally recognized as a venturer, the hat is not required, and belt and grey pants may be purchase from any vendor and be of style appropriate to the needs of the venturer.

... for a person to be nationally recognized as a venturer, the hat is not required, and belt and grey pants may be purchase from any vendor and be of style appropriate to the needs of the venturer.

Couldn't you be "nationally recognized as a Venturer" just by wearing the uniform shirt?  Since the official BSA web page linked by the original poster says that "each crew may determine what, if any, specific uniform pants or shorts they will wear based on crew activities."  (It doesn't mention a belt in that section.)  So if the crew has decided that they are just going to wear the uniform shirt and everybody can wear whatever pants they want, wouldn't the "uniform" for them just be the shirt, and they would still be "nationally recognized as a Venturer"?

I suppose that a Boy Scout wearing just the uniform shirt also would be "nationally recognized" as a Boy Scout, but they would be recognized as a Boy Scout not wearing a proper uniform, which would not be the case with the Venturer.  (Although if you saw 12 Venturers together with the same unit number and 11 were wearing charcoal-grey pants and one was wearing blue jeans, you could make a pretty good guess that that crew had adopted the uniformed pants and that the jeans-wearer was not wearing the proper uniform.)

My Venturing crew was a Civil War reenacting group.  Depending on the need for the activity, sometimes they wore the Federal blue and sometimes they wore the Confederate grey.  ---  except for the national First Bull Run event where they wore Federal grey......  Most reenacting groups knew they were a BSA Venturing Crew, but it didn't show except in their better than average portrayal of the historic soldier.

I did not wear my green shirt to Roundtable when I was in attendance, I wore Federal blue...complete in every detail.

• Upvote 1

@@NJCubScouter, as @@Stosh describes, venturers like to live the differences.

But, VOA officers and crews who would rather identify with the national movement their unique unit ... those members are supposed to be in The Green Shirt and any convenient grey pants.

When it looked like my crew was settling on an activity shirt, I wore the prototype. But when they did not implement it, and I was attending a lot of council and area events, I sprung for The Green Shirt.