SM pulls rank advancement after successful BOR

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#101 David CO

David CO

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:07 PM

My guess is that the dysfunctional leadership of that troop felt the need to address a perceived problem with the scouts by creating their demerit system, when the real problem was likely a leadership deficiency all along. 

As you say, that is just a guess.  I would guess something entirely different.  But that would just be a guess, too.

#102 David CO

David CO

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:08 PM

Yup, sounds like it. On it's face it sounds like the SM is trying to up the attendance rate by putting in this demerit system. If that's why, your're exactly right @EmberMike, that's leadership devoid of any ideas of how to spark attendance and build excitement around the program. Too lazy to work with the PLC to develop energizing programs.

That is all speculation as well.

#103 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:24 PM

That is all speculation as well.

True, but informed speculation. I am trusting that the Scout is telling the truth. We are supposed to take each other on our word, right? 

Otherwise, how do I know you are "David" or you know that I am really a "Colonel"?  :p  :D

#104 EmberMike

EmberMike

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:59 PM

As you say, that is just a guess.  I would guess something entirely different.  But that would just be a guess, too.

It's less of a guess knowing that local council investigated and confirmed rank, which in turn confirms a lot of what has been said throughout this discussion.

#105 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11074 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:35 PM

Even with all the professional ministry and working with youth all my life, especially Scouts, I had an interesting epiphany just recently.  Since retiring I have upped my volunteerism and have taken on working with the American Red Cross.  My first national deployment I was lead on a crew doing Bulk Distribution, which means I drove a truck out into the neighborhoods and handed out food, water, supplies, clean up kits, and things of this sort.  When we handed out stuff we could tell there were many items going out that were going to be showing up on craigslist and Ebay by that evening.  But we were told to never question it, just hand it out, no questions asked. 

I was in one neighborhood and I handed out a full compliment of supplies to a young boy about 15 years old.  Within a few minutes he was back asking for another load.  I had to give it to him by ARC policy.  Sure enough he came back a third time, but this time I watched him.  He took it over to a house nearby and knocked on the door.  An elderly woman answered and he pointed to the stuff he had just put on her porch.  He was back again, this time going to another house, and back for more.  By the time I had emptied my truck I was on cloud nine.  If I had but one boy like this in my troop I'd be in heaven.  When I got back in my cab to drive back to the warehouse, a terrifying thought ran through my head.  "What if I had said no?"  I might be an old-fashioned stogie in my thinking and opinions cemented into place, but like W.C.Boyce's experience in London, I may never know his name, but it changed my way of thinking forever.  No is such a devastatingly destructive word.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq