Sign Off's, What are your troop's Rules?

In your troop

Who can sign off on a Scout's advancement requirements?

Who can sign off on things like his camping log, his volunteer log, etc... in the back of his book?

No doubt this is spelled out in the GTA & I know I've read it before....but honestly I do not recall....

what it says about signing off on Scouts' rank requirements, etc...

My understanding is that this varies between troops as well (maybe this should go in the scouting myths thread)

and I don't know what our troop's rule on it is....but I'll bet if I ask 3 different people I'll get at least 2 different answers.

This came up in a discussion I had with my Tenderfoot PL son this AM.  I steered him to think that maybe he should contact his SM if he wants to know, thinking that many of the scouts may not know a consistent rule....

My Son's troop, generally, allows any of the adults present at the activity (or meeting) to sign off on requirements for anyone other than their own child.

Most of the adults will defer to others if approached to sign requirements they are unfamiliar with, and the leaders definitely steer scouts looking to get things signed off to parents they think are qualified to do so.

The process is less formal than I think it should be, but in practice, it seems to work out pretty well.

If memory serves, it is up to the SM on who signs off. SM can be the sole signer, allow other adults to sign, allow youth to sign, or a combination.

My troop only allows adults to sign off at the moment, especially with the performance at the camporee this weekend, As some of you know, there are two factions among the adults in my troop: pro youth-led and the youth have to prove they are readyto lead/adult led. All three patrols performed poorly at the camporee, which has reinforced the they aren't ready faction's position  The two proponents of the they aren't ready faction had a chat while staffing the canoe orienteering, and have come up with a plan to get the S-T-2-1 skills up to speed. They have already talked to the new SM, and it looks like it will be implemented after the first of the year.

The Scouts knew what was on the line before going into camporee.

In our troop scouts 1st Class and above sign off on T21, but that gets a countersignature from an adult.  I will spot check the skills that an older scout has signed off, if I think it's not up to snuff I have both older and younger scout go back and work on it some more.

My troop only allows adults to sign off at the moment, especially with the performance at the camporee this weekend...

All three patrols performed poorly at the camporee...

The Scouts knew what was on the line before going into camporee.

Isn't the purpose of a Camporee to have fun, share some fellowship with other scouts, and generally just be off playing the game of scouting?  How was anything on the line?

• Upvote 1

GTA 4.2.0.0

"Both adult and youth leaders approve Boy Scout and Varsity Scout advancement. This permits greater emphasis on standards and more consistency in measurement, but it also places another level of importance on teaching and testing. As Scouts work with one another, learning takes place on both sides of the equation as they play teacher and student in turn. Parents are involved at home encouraging, mentoring, and supporting, but they do not sign for rank advancement requirements unless they serve as leaders or Lone Scout counselors."

In our troop it traditionally is scouts First Class and above who taught the skill or were at the activity. It is rarely adults signing off requirements. 

I take the GTA to mean that adult and youth divide up responsibilities. The PL signs off on most skills mastered. The ASM/SM sign off Service, Nights Camping, SMC's and BoR's. SM, obviously, signs blue cards.

Any logs are on the scouts' honor. We don't sign off every row. Just when they've completed a milestone for the next rank.

The SM adjusts that boundary depending on the maturity of the PLs. When we merged, the new SM had just gone through a round of immature PL's who were signing off their buddies without actually seeing them perform the skill, so he had an "only adults" rule. I promptly commenced talking us back from that ledge. They seem to be back at the usual mix.

Edited by qwazse

Right after I started this thread, I pulled up the GTA, here's what i found:

4.2.1.2 The Scout Is Tested

The unit leader authorizes those who may test and pass the Scout on rank requirements. They might include his patrol leader, senior patrol leader, an assistant unit leader, another Scout, or the unit leader himself. Merit badge counselors teach and test him on requirements for merit badges.

Seems to support what @@eagle 94-A1 wrote.... up to the SM

Patrol Leaders sign-off for Scouts in their Patrol.  SPL sign off for PLs.  If the PL is uncomfortable or not familiar with the skill, he passes them off to the SPL.  SM can also sign but encourages Scouts to seek out their PL.

At one point the Troop's rule was any scout first class and above could sign off on the ST21 requirements.  I'm not sure if that is still the rule.  Currently, we encourage scouts to have requirements signed off by their PL, APL or the Troop Guide assigned to the patrol.  We like the person to be someone who saw them fulfill the requirement or taught them.  The SPL and ASPLs can sign off but rarely do.  For the Star, Life and Eagle ranks, the SM signs off based on a discussion with the scout (how did you meet this requirement) and a review of the advancement records (which merit badges have been earned).  At all ranks, the SM signs off on the service requirements based on a discussion with the scout who should be tracking that in the back of their book.

Isn't the purpose of a Camporee to have fun, share some fellowship with other scouts, and generally just be off playing the game of scouting?  How was anything on the line?

Camporees are competitions in this neck of the woods. This year, there was an emphasis on basic Scouting Skills. The Scouts in the troop know there is friction between the two groups of adults. After one committee member respected by both groups talked to the scouts, and got a real honest to goodness read on the situation, He  talked to all the adults. Long story short, things the Scouts wanted to happened did happen. Why things have been OK lately and nothing added to the thread I started back in May. BUT the Scouts also knew that if they gave a serious reason to the "they aren't ready" faction to implement their plan, it would probably happen. Let's just say that I was severely disappointed with them this weekend. I know they can do better. But I also know that they have only been doing this since July, and the way the schedule was implemented, they really only had 1 camp out as a patrol prior to camporee. June was summer camp, July a backpackign trek for the older guys and weekend for those who did it, abot 5.  August was a canoe trek.

I'm hoping the guys realize they screwed up, and get their act together FAST. I really do not want the adults to take over.

• Downvote 1

Sign off in this order of priority

PL

APL

TG (new scout patrols)

Instructors (only if they are POR Instructors)

SPL for the PL's

SM for the SPL

The responsibility has to directly pass down.  APL can sign only if the PL says so, etc.  It is for a single item.  The responsibility always remains first with the PL.

In our troop any First Class Scout (or above) can sign off on any of the requirements for First Class or below (I have suggested in the past that this be tightened up a bit, but it hasn't been), with the exception of Scout Spirit which is signed off by the Scoutmaster at the SM COnference, and any requirements that must be done with a specific individual.  The only one of those that I am aware of is First Class requirement 5 (discuss your rights and responsibilities as a citizen with a designated teacher, lawyer, etc.)  For the higher ranks, generally the SM signs off on those except the Life  "skill teaching" requirement can be signed off by any Life or Eagle Scout.

Camporees are competitions in this neck of the woods. This year, there was an emphasis on basic Scouting Skills. The Scouts in the troop know there is friction between the two groups of adults. After one committee member respected by both groups talked to the scouts, and got a real honest to goodness read on the situation, He  talked to all the adults. Long story short, things the Scouts wanted to happened did happen. Why things have been OK lately and nothing added to the thread I started back in May. BUT the Scouts also knew that if they gave a serious reason to the "they aren't ready" faction to implement their plan, it would probably happen. Let's just say that I was severely disappointed with them this weekend. I know they can do better. But I also know that they have only been doing this since July, and the way the schedule was implemented, they really only had 1 camp out as a patrol prior to camporee. June was summer camp, July a backpackign trek for the older guys and weekend for those who did it, abot 5.  August was a canoe trek.

I'm hoping the guys realize they screwed up, and get their act together FAST. I really do not want the adults to take over.

I would think summer camp, a backpacking trip, and a canoeing trip would be fantastic adventures to be using the basic scout skills everyday.