Photo
- - - - -

District Associate to replace District Executive?

district executive district associate

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2929 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:31 PM

I've never understood that.  I'd love to be a professional scout.  One of my biggest ambitions at one time.

1000s of openings.  Do it.  

60-70 hrs/wk - or more

Almost all work with adults

Main job raising money to pay your salary.

10-12 yrs until chance of promotion to middle management

Great pension plan when you get there

But at least the pay is low

Edited by TAHAWK, 23 November 2016 - 01:31 PM.

#22 krypton_son

krypton_son

All Around Troublemaker

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:33 PM

60-70 hrs/wk - or more

It would still be worth it to me.  I've always wondered what they start out at.

#23 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 6315 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:52 PM

60-70 hrs/wk - or more

And even beyond the statistics, most of the former DE's on here have indicated in various ways that for all their hard work, no time with their families, low pay, they generally got treated like, um, dirt.  Yes, that's the Scoutlike word for it.  I also recall some talk that being in that position tends to wreak a heavy toll on a marriage.

This is just an anecdote and not scientific data, but my district has had 10 or so DE's in the past 15 years, and the BEST one (in the opinion of myself and other unit Scouters who I have spoken with at district events) was a guy who, after however many years in the DE/SDE/DD cycle, decided he needed to have a little more stability and took a position in the Scout Shop in the council office.  Some stability, he got caught up in a round of layoffs and found himself, in his late 40s I would estimate, without any job at all.  I don't know whether he got a job with another council or not.  I do know that our council's chance to give a good man a rest for a few years and then bring him back into the "direct line" (maybe as an FD) is probably gone.

#24 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1992 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:59 PM

I've never understood that.  I'd love to be a professional scout.  One of my biggest ambitions at one time.

To quote the Ninth Doctor, " RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!"

As a former DE, I can tell you it is extremely stressful, no matter where you go. And if you get a lousy boss amplify your worst nightmare a 100 fold. In the 22 months I was a DE, my council went through 9 DEs, a field director and finance director (both middle managers). I stayed around for 6 months before going to national supply, and they went through an additional 3 or 4 DEs.  My replacement was one of those who left within 3 months.

Shortest term as a DE was about 2-3 weeks. Guy was in the emergency room with the neighbor who brought him. Neighbor call the Director of Field Service ( #2 guy in council) and t the DFS what was up. The DFS told the neighbor to tell the DE to come to the staff meeting or get fired.  DE quit over the phone.

In my case, I was having stress related health issues. But the deciding factor was when my wife of 2 months told me I had to pick: her or the job.

"Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!" William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt

#25 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1992 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:06 PM

I also recall some talk that being in that position tends to wreak a heavy toll on a marriage.

I told you the ultimatum my wife gave me.  One long time pro I worked with was married to wife #3. After I quit, I found out she separated from him within a year.  2 coworkers got divorced because of the hours. One of my DEs told me the reason his wife divorced him was the job. By the time he did something about it, it was too late. Once divorced, he came back.

Worst story was a DE I had who put his wife through law school. As soon as she graduated and passed the bar, he was served divorce papers.

On the flip side, if you are young and SINGLE ( emphasis)  it can be a great starter job. You will gain a heck of  lot of experience. One friend left the profession, and  doubled his salary. My coworkers are dumbfounded by some of the things I did as a DE.

#26 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 6315 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:38 PM

Worst story was a DE I had who put his wife through law school. As soon as she graduated and passed the bar, he was served divorce papers.

That's not good.  That sort of thing is not inherent in being a professional Scouter, however.  Anyone can marry the wrong person.  I went to law school with a woman who had made a deal with her husband, he would put her through law school and after she graduated, she would put him through medical school.  One guess what happened shortly after she graduated.  (Fairly obvious, otherwise I wouldn't be telling the story.)  I suppose it's a matter of perspective as to which of those stories is "worse", but neither one is very good.

#27 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1992 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:41 AM

True. I say the law school divorce was worst because it came completely out of the blue. The others had some inclinations as they were having problems, and in one case, the DE gave up the job to work on the marriage only to still have it fall apart. Even my wife was giving me signs of frustration with the job before the ultimatum.

Long story short, I do not wish the job on my worse enemy,

#28 David CO

David CO

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 02:40 AM

As a Catholic school teacher, I don't earn more than a DE.  I work pretty long hours and I don't get paid overtime. I do, however, get to spend much of that time working directly with kids, ...and that has made all the difference.

Edited by David CO, 24 November 2016 - 02:41 AM.

#29 Stosh

Stosh

• Members
  • 12466 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:03 AM

I worked professionally a long time ago within a council.  Working with kids was never a part of the job.

#30 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1992 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:53 PM

My old DE, who is now a FD in another council made this comment about the rule change and the judge's blocking it: how many DE's have already either lost their job, or received notice that they will be losing their job, over the executive order?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users