Photo
- - - - -

District Associate to replace District Executive?

district executive district associate

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Snow Owl

Snow Owl

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:08 AM

Is BSA changing the professional position title?  Our Council has announced “The District Associate position will be the new title for entry level field staff members moving forward.”  Our district no longer has a DE or even a new “DA”  see  http://www.bsa-selac...ncil-staff/1376

Any insight on this change?

#2 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2859 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:44 AM

I Googled 'district associate," and up came a long list of councils looking to hire to fill that position and many with that title in place.

"The District Associate position will be the new title for entry level field staff members moving forward."

#3 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1903 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:32 AM

1)  That's my home council!

2) In the very near future, I believe December 1st,  the minimum wage for salaried workers will be doubled.  That will be an incredible burden on non-profits in general.  Looks like this change in title will reflect that they are limited to 40 hours/week.

"Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!" William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt

#4 Snow Owl

Snow Owl

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:22 AM

The DE current salary is well above minimum wage and will still be after any minimum wage increase.  What I am trying to figure out is where is this language coming from?  The new overtime rule is for anyone making less than $47,476 per year - which is most if not all current DEs

#5 blw2

blw2

Troop Treasurer

• Members
  • 1980 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:21 AM

If I were to ponder a guess, I'd say it's probably like an "Assistant to the DE" position

my district, as an example, is split with two DE's, one of them being a "Senior".  I'd guess this new position may be a similar set-up.

#6 T2Eagle

T2Eagle

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:50 AM

It probably is related to the new FLSA rules.  It defines a position that is not intended to be an "exempt" position under FLSA.  Likely there are many DEs who are at or close to the new $47k rate, and any that are anywhere near it will just be bumped up (see the other thread on council level fee increases). Newly hired entry level professionals and maybe some who are still paid close to the old FLSA rate will be given this title.

A new title let's everyone in the organization, probably especially crusty old SEs who will be mad that the whippersnappers aren't properly "paying their dues like we did" be clear that these are in fact hourly positions and if you want them working that many hours you're going to have to pay them.  

Edited by T2Eagle, 26 October 2016 - 09:52 AM.

#7 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1903 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:01 AM

Actually the DE's do not make the  new exempt threshold of I believe $47,000-$48,000/ year.  According to this website $36,000 is the DE's average. http://blog.myscouts...xecutive-worth/

According to this website, https://www.glassdoo...aries-E7807.htm ,  DEs make anywhere from $37,665 (DE) to $45,488 as a Senior DE.

When I was a DE, the salary was much lower, and someone estimated that we made about $1.50/hour, and that doesn't include those pros working summer camp. 

"Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!" William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt

#8 deanofmac

deanofmac

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:35 PM

I haven't seen that in my council, Illowa. I do know that my DE covers 4 counties in West Central Illinois. She could use some help, I'm sure. that's a lot of area to cover. Odd thing is that we are closer to 3 other councils (Mississippi Valley, Abraham Lincoln, WD Boyce).

Dean Roberts

Scoutmaster, Troop 315 Macomb
I used to be an Owl, C3-133-11
..and a Staffer too! C3-133-14 and C3-133-16

#9 T2Eagle

T2Eagle

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:57 PM

Actually the DE's do not make the  new exempt threshold of I believe $47,000-$48,000/ year.  According to this website $36,000 is the DE's average. http://blog.myscouts...xecutive-worth/

According to this website, https://www.glassdoo...aries-E7807.htm ,  DEs make anywhere from $37,665 (DE) to $45,488 as a Senior DE.

When I was a DE, the salary was much lower, and someone estimated that we made about $1.50/hour, and that doesn't include those pros working summer camp. 

That is lower than I thought.

#10 Snow Owl

Snow Owl

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 02:18 PM

The difference in pay between the DEs and the SE is staggering!

#11 SSScout

SSScout

• Members
  • 4012 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:17 PM

Snow Owl:    What would you expect?   Hamburger flipper vs  Mr.  Kroc or Stephanson? 

The CEO of an enterprise always is recompensed at a mega ratio with the proles. 

Edited by SSScout, 27 October 2016 - 05:17 PM.

#12 AKdenldr

AKdenldr

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:55 AM

I suspect it is related to the FSLA change in this way:  many Hr advisors to the non-profit sector are recommending that all titles, job duties, and payroll procedures be reviewed at this point and time.  A full HR audit, so to say.  

A District Executive is really executive of nothing (no full time direct reports to supervise, no budgetary authority of any magnitude, for example.)  Program Associate (or District Associate in this case) makes more sense.

#13 NealOnWheels

NealOnWheels

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:16 PM

Judge blocks Obama rule extending overtime pay to 4.2 million U.S. workers

http://www.reuters.c...e-idUSKBN13H2JY

#14 NealOnWheels

NealOnWheels

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:23 PM

Our council is changing the title for District Executives to District Associates.  They are requiring them to keep detailed hourly reporting.  They are capping their hours.  They are prohibiting them from serving in any voluntary capacity.  All because of the Dept of Labor rules becoming effective Dec 1st.

One DE I know plans to quit his job since he is closely involved with a Troop in a volunteer position and does not want to give that up.

Maybe the court ruling will prevent all this from happening.

#15 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2859 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:33 PM

The LA Times said "Texas Judge blocks overtime."   Other media outlets noted it was a federal judge sitting in Texas who enjoined the executive order as probably unlawful pending final judgment in the case.  "[T]he judge said the increase to the 40th percentile of all weekly earnings in the U.S. effectively eliminated the exception in labor law for 'bona fide executive, administrative or professional' employees. The Labor Dept. must examine the duties of employees to determine who fits the exception, the judge said. But by raising the cap so high, he said, 'the Department exceeds it delegated authority and ignores Congress’s intent by raising the minimum salary level such that it supplants the duties test.'"

#16 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 6082 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:33 AM

Our council recently announced a "new district structure" in which the six districts in the council will not each have their own DE, but rather the council will be split into two "service areas" (three districts each, based on geography) and each service area will be served by four "executives" each dealing with a different subject area.  Here is a little more detail from the recent council newsletter:

We are NOT merging districts; we are simply putting them into 2 Service Areas.  This will provide each district with four executives to address its needs. Each executive will have a different specialty, and each executive will provide their specialty to all districts in their Service Area.  The 4 major “specialties” cover: Membership, Unit Service, Program and Development.  In addition, each Service Area will be led by an experienced field director who will provide guidance, training, and support to the specialty executives.  The field director for each Service Area will also have responsibilities to the district chairman and district commissioner in each of their 3 districts.

Now, it calls the people "executives" but I can't help but wonder, in light of this thread, whether the "executives" will actually be District Associates (a term that is not used in the newsletter).  I would be surprised if the two things were not related to each other.  I did go on our council web site and found that the directory for my district currently lists a Field Director, District Chair and District Commissioner, with no DE.  (We did lose our DE a few months ago and have been waiting to hear of a replacement; perhaps there will not be one, at least as DE.)  Some other districts do have DE's or DD's listed.  I see no mention of a District Associate in any district - but as the newsletter said, this is going to be phased in over the next year.

I guess my question (somewhat rhetorical in this forum) is what are they going to do with the existing DE's, Senior DE's and DD's?  Are they going to "demote" them into this 4-person-per-three-districts structure?  Are they going to change their titles to District Associate?

#17 meyerc13

meyerc13

Roundtable Commissioner

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:00 AM

I was in the Northern Star Council last weekend, and they are doing something similar to what NJCubScouter's Council is doing.  The difference is that they are splitting into two person teams, each covering two Districts.  I believe one was going to focus on membership, the other on program.  They had new position names, but off the top of my head I don't recall what they were.

Personally, I'm curious how moves such as this will help with the amount of time they spend working.  In our Council, if we had two DEs teamed up to serve two districts, the amount of geographical space covered by the two districts would be quite large.  I would think that unless they start hiding out in the office all day that the amount of travel time they incur would go way up.  Is there some loophole that allows the Council to not count time spent traveling to a site?

In any case, I think the amount of work that is going to fall on the District Committee and Commissioners is going to go way up.  Even though this judge has suspended the rule (pending an appeal, no doubt), most organizations are already so far along in planning that I don't see them dropping their plans now on the chance that this injunction might hold up to an appeal.

I do find it very curious how many different ways we've seen Councils handling this issue.  Some are charging Council dues, some are teaming DEs up to cover larger areas but focus on specific aspects of the job, some are asking their DEs to cap their hours, and some are giving their employees raises.  That's just the four ways I know about, I'm sure there might be more ideas floating around out there.

Edit, found a link explaining their approach:  http://www.northerns...-changes-at-nsc

Edited by meyerc13, 23 November 2016 - 11:06 AM.

Yours in Scouting,

Chris Meyer

Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner 2015-Present

Lion Guide 2016-Present

Cubmaster 2013-2016

Father of a Boy Scout 2016-Present

#18 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 6082 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:59 PM

I looked back at the announcement from my council and it also says this (the bolded portion is what is relevant but I am including the entire paragraph for context):

The council’s new structure will increase the number of professional staff, and significantly change the organization and roles of our professional Scouters.  It will also change who our volunteers go to for support, depending on the function.

An increase in the number of professional staff (which presumably includes the new District Associates) does not seem to fit in with the whole cost-cutting theme here... unless the salary of the new DA's (that is usually an abbreviation for something else, in my line of work) is so much less than the DE's that you can have more of them for less, or for the same amount.  Of course, the "increase" could be by one position, so it may not be that big a gap to make up.  Still, it is all somewhat puzzling, and it leaves unanswered my earlier question of what they are going to do with existing DE/SDE/DD's.  They say it is going to be one-year phase in, but is there going to be enough attrition to take care of all these people in one year?  Multiplied by all of the other councils that are presumably going to go through something similar?  If (and this is just my speculation based on what I am seeing) the idea is to have DA's reporting to a Field Director and nothing in between, there are only so many FD positions to go around. I suppose the BSA could offer an "early retirement package" to increase the rate of attrition, but I don't know whether the BSA ever does that (calling @Eagle94-A1 ) and it does not fit in with the whole cost-cutting theme, at least not in the immediate-term.

(Just as an aside, based on years of reading posts by current and former professional Scouters in this forum, and knowing what happened to a couple of pros in my council, my suspicion is that the BSA's "early retirement package" is something like, "We no longer have a position for you, goodbye and good luck."  Hopefully my impression is inaccurate.)

(And another aside:  The information I mentioned above from my council's web site suggests that in addition to whatever the FD's do now, which I assume is supervising the professionals in their districts, their job is going to be expanded (with no extra $ ?) to include being a point of contact for the volunteer members of the Key-3 for 3 districts.  And, I suspect, a portion of the unit Scouters who would have called the DE with a question or concern will now call the FD (whose name is right there on our district web site, and the official phase-in hasn't even started yet) rather than try to figure out which one of 4 subject-matter brand-new DA's is the right one to call.  I am sure the FD's are pleased with that, he said sarcastically.)

Edited by NJCubScouter, 23 November 2016 - 01:16 PM.

#19 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2859 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:25 PM

My oldest council can't find people to take the jobs they have open.  The few who sign on leave quickly.  Fewer paid staff who are paid more might work better.

#20 krypton_son

krypton_son

All Around Troublemaker

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:26 PM

My oldest council can't find people to take the jobs they have open.  The few who sign on leave quickly.  Fewer paid staff who are paid more might work better.

I've never understood that.  I'd love to be a professional scout.  One of my biggest ambitions at one time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq