Yearning to ditch propane and return to white gas

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 perdidochas

perdidochas

• Members
  • 2165 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:19 AM

I hate to say it, I was at a camporee that only 1 patrol was able to start a fire. ONE. FREAKING. PATROL!  One patrol, an NSP, had no clue on how to build a fire, and everything they needed to build one was there: saw, axe, tinder, kindling, fuel, matches. The event judges even showed them how to build one, and they still had a deer in the headlights look.

Wow.   My troop was running a "boil water over a fire you make using a ferro rod to starte it" event at a camporee, and most patrols did it in less than 15 minutes.

#42 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1778 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:27 AM

Yes, I  was shocked. The excuse an ASM gave for his NSP was that we've been in a fire ban since they joined the troop. Yes we had a long period of fire bans, heck we secured special permission from the local FD to have the event IF the fire ban was in effect at the time of camporee (helps if a FD Lieutenant is running the event ;) ) But most New Scouts I know go to that section and start learning form the book as soon as they get it.

But the rest of the patrols?

What's interesting was the patrol that got the fire going was the one that doesn't use stoves UNLESS there is a fire ban or they are backpacking. And the only stoves they have are backpacking ones. Unfortunately they went to Trails Life. Oldest wanted to join that troop first.

"Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!" William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt

#43 blw2

blw2

Troop Treasurer

• Members
  • 1939 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:35 AM

Wow.   My troop was running a "boil water over a fire you make using a ferro rod to starte it" event at a camporee, and most patrols did it in less than 15 minutes.

Do you recall what you had available for tinder?  I'd imagine that makes a HUGE difference.

#44 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11965 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:31 PM

Even with fire bans in effect, in my neck of the woods, cooking fires, barbeques, fire-rings, etc. are allowed.

I was sitting around a campfire at a state park with my family when the forest ranger approached (he is legal law enforcement in the park). He informed me that campfires were banned.  I inquired whether that included cook fires.  He said, "No, cook fires were okay."  I offered him a S'more and he smiled and moved on to the next site.  There were two buckets of water, a bucket of sand and a 5 gallon water jug sitting there with me.  The area had been raked clean of leaves 10' radius and all the bases were covered.  It wasn't a bonfire, just a modest campfire.....with marshmallows.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#45 perdidochas

perdidochas

• Members
  • 2165 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:08 AM

Do you recall what you had available for tinder?  I'd imagine that makes a HUGE difference.

Some kind of natural fiber.  Don't remember exactly. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq