The summer camp diaries

So at our summer camp this year we shot a bit of a video diary of what we got up to. It's now been edited together and is on line here. If you have 11 minutes to spare have a click! Couple of health warnings....

It won't work on mobile devices 

Youtube have decided to be helpful and fix some shaky camera work. The result is an effect in places that's akin to seasickness! I'm trying to get them to change it back again with little success.....

And if you've ever wondered what I look and sound like that's me at 2.31!

Loved the "Wakey Wakey", I think my adults would be teasing you mercilessly over that! They would rather you, in the time you spent providing "concierge" service a) get a shower or b) start the coffee.

Mustering duty falls on our SPL, who by the average age they get elected is up an moving in time to perform it in his own style. If we're lucky, he has a bugler.

Edited by qwazse

Loved the "Wakey Wakey", I think my adults would be teasing you mercilessly over that! They would rather you, in the time you spent providing "concierge" service a) get a shower or b) start the coffee.

Mustering duty falls on our SPL, who by the average age they get elected is up an moving in time to perform it in his own style. If we're lucky, he has a bugler.

The wakey wakey was a bit of a one off for the sake of the film. Normally if they aren't moving I sing at them. Loudly. And badly. My vocal range has approximately two notes. Which are out of key with each other. It's a truly horrible noise :)

On a more serious note though it does highlight a big difference between us and you. Scouts here runs to 14 and a half rather than 18. It does mean that there does always need to be that bit more adult in put on anything they get up to. It doesn't mean the PLs don't get responsibility, they certainly do, but the average level of maturity and experience will always be that much lower meaning we do have to support and prod them in the right direction that much more. And some times that does mean kicking them out of bed!

On top of that at the moment I have quite a young troop at the moment. I lost 9 x 14 year olds to explorers at Easter. That only exasperates it at the moment! They are getting there though.

• Upvote 1

...  the average level of maturity and experience will always be that much lower meaning we do have to support and prod them in the right direction that much more. And some times that does mean kicking them out of bed!

Now that I think of it, younger SPLs have a rougher time with mustering and reveille. One especially despised method (from an otherwise very nice young man) was standing in the circle of tents shouting. "Wake up! We're burning daylight!"

Older SPL/PLs get by with polite knock on each scout's tent flap until they hear signs of movement.