Concurrent registration as Cub Scout and Boy Scout

My youngest son just turned 11 last week and is just starting the 5th grade next week.  He started Tigers with his peers in the 1st grade.  He is now a Webelos working on his Arrow of Light.

He is also the youngest of 3 boys, all of whom are really active in scouts.  His oldest brother will be SPL in his troop this year. As a result of doing something scout related nearly every week since 1st grade and being the oldest boy in his den, he is ready for Boy Scouts.  But, he also wants to finish what he started with his Arrow of Light. 

Being 11 trumps everything so I know that he could transfer now but that would mean skipping and not earning Arrow of Light.

Does anyone know if there is a specific policy regarding whether a scout can be registered as a Cub Scout and a Boy Scout concurrently? 

I asked council, they said a boy cannot hold multiple registrations in both Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts.  However, I have found that sometimes council will give you an answer without actually looking up the answer or confirming what the most current policy is  ....  So I am asking here. 

I do not believe that you can be concurrent except possibly as a leader.

Its been many years - but I my son had a similar issue.  He was one of the oldest in his grade level and beyond ready to transition to Boy Scouts by that second year of Webelos.

What we opted for is letting him finish his Arrow of Light requirements (which took about 1 month into the school year) and then having him cross over to a BSA troop.  The leader for the Boy Scout troop had him come to a couple of the meetings during that month so he could get to know the other boys.  (he had also visited previously with the Cub group) 

Yes, he "missed" the AoL ceremony they did at the end of the year but since he had completed the requirements he still got the official award. For him that wasn't a big deal to miss the ceremony.  We had moved to the area recently so he hadn't been lifelong friends with the others and he was just bored of being a Cub Scout.  We did ask him what he wanted and it was his choice to move up. 

• Upvote 1

Your son has to make a choice: Stay with his friends and earn AOL or  Move up to Boy Scouts. He cannot do both.

I do not know how your pack handled the transition to the new requirements. Nor do I know how your pack handles its program. It may be that he has a month or two left, or he has 7  months minimum ahead. He has to think about it and make the decision.

My son figured out last year that if he wanted to, he could skip Webelos badge since it is not longer required, and start work immediately on AOL so that he could cross over at 10.5 and go to summer camp. He eventually decided to wait it out with his friends. He'll be 11 when he becomes a Boy Scout, while his buddies are 10-10.5, but he's OK with that.

• Upvote 1

Like others said I don't think he can be registered as both a Cub and Boy Scout.  But since it sounds like he already knows what troop he'll be joining, could he just "visit" until finishing AoL?  5th grade scouts are supposed to be visiting troop meetings, going on campouts with a troop anyway.  Only (minor) drawback is that he could not start on Boy Scout advancement yet--but since the new "Scouting Adventure" pin and Boy Scout rank are pretty much the same thing, he'd probably qualify for his scout rank a few minutes after his transfer application hits the council registrar's desk.

what does he want to do?

If he was my son and wanted to skip the AOL and move on to the troop now, I would support that decision 100%, and not look back.

Honestly, it's about his growth and challenge and adventure. That AOL award patch really doesn't mean much..... except from the perspective of finishing what you start.

But if he just wanted to finish, that's good too....

As @@Chisos said, as a Webelos, he can attend Boy Scout Events ... however, technically this needs to be either with two cub-scout/webelos leaders OR you the parent attending those events as well.

Another option would be to work with the Webelos (AOL) Den leader to "work ahead" and complete the AOL adventures quickly.  He could then have the AOL, join the Troop, and if he wanted, comeback and be recognized for his AOL when his friends are.

As others have said, he cannot work on the AOL and Boy Scout advancement (including Merit Badges) at the same time.

Depending upon the willingness of the Den Leader ... one other possibility is that if he earns his AOL early, joins the Troop, then he could (potentially) come back as a Den Chief and still work with the boys in the Den.  The advantage here is it will very likely help the Webelos to Boy Scout transition of his peers, the disadvantage is he would probably rather participate in the activities of the AOL den rather than help run them.  For this reason, I personally try to keep at least 2 years of age difference between the Cub Scout Den and their Den Chief.

Edited by gumbymaster

I think this is a case where your Council knows what they are talking about.  After all, someone at Council hand enters all applications into the system and would know what it will and won't accept.  Leaders can be registered in multiple units; and boys can be registered in Exploring, Venturing, and Boy Scouts simultaneously.  Younger boys can be registered in Cub Scouts and most likely the new STEM Scouts. 

For Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts, it is treated as a transfer application.  The only way to get around that would be a lie of omission, not putting his current unit number on the application.  This might still get caught (same name and same address), and it would definitely be very unScoutlike to try it (a Scout is Trustworthy).  Not to mention it would result in his Scouting record being split between two Scout IDs, which can definitely cause issues down the road.  As a Scout leader, I know that boys who age out and don't join a Troop continue to show up on the Pack roster, but boys who correctly fill out the Transfer application are removed from the Pack and added to the Troop.

• 3 weeks later...

As @@Chisos said, as a Webelos, he can attend Boy Scout Events ... however, technically this needs to be either with two cub-scout/webelos leaders OR you the parent attending those events as well.

Another option would be to work with the Webelos (AOL) Den leader to "work ahead" and complete the AOL adventures quickly.  He could then have the AOL, join the Troop, and if he wanted, comeback and be recognized for his AOL when his friends are.

As others have said, he cannot work on the AOL and Boy Scout advancement (including Merit Badges) at the same time.

Depending upon the willingness of the Den Leader ... one other possibility is that if he earns his AOL early, joins the Troop, then he could (potentially) come back as a Den Chief and still work with the boys in the Den.  The advantage here is it will very likely help the Webelos to Boy Scout transition of his peers, the disadvantage is he would probably rather participate in the activities of the AOL den rather than help run them.  For this reason, I personally try to keep at least 2 years of age difference between the Cub Scout Den and their Den Chief.

You have to be first class To be a den chief.

You have to be first class To be a den chief.

Although a very good idea, the position does not require a particular rank, http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/Leaders/About/ThePack/csdcf.aspx:

Qualifications: Is an older Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, or Venturer. Selected by the senior patrol leader and Scoutmaster, Varsity Scout Coach, or Venturing Advisor at the request of the Cubmaster. Approved by the Cubmaster and pack committee for recommendation to the den leader. Registered as a youth member of a troop, team, or crew.