Photo
- - - - -

What Does Your Unit Do, How Much Do It Earn and What Do Scouts Pay?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Chadamus

Chadamus

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:18 PM

You know, pine needles like from Loblollies, Virginias, and Longleaf varieties among many others.

#22 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12183 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:15 PM

I'm gonna have to ask the Mrs. about this one.  :)  Where I'm from pine trees don't have leaves.  Maybe she can tune me into the finer points of what these are.  Virginia?  I'm a Yankee.  What do I know about Virginia.  I'm intrigued so I'll follow up on that.  Here in the upper midwest, we don't put pine needles on anything, turns the soil acidic and about the only thing known to tolerate and even like needles is blueberries so my blueberries get heavily mulched with them.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#23 wdfa89

wdfa89

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:51 AM

When we lived in Alabama folks came round the neighborhood selling pine straw.  Sort of like big pine needles, thinner than actual straw.  can harvest from woods in quantities like grass clippings.  we used it as decorative ground cover in our flower beds.  was cheaper than bags of  mulch

#24 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12183 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:20 PM

When we lived in Alabama folks came round the neighborhood selling pine straw.  Sort of like big pine needles, thinner than actual straw.  can harvest from woods in quantities like grass clippings.  we used it as decorative ground cover in our flower beds.  was cheaper than bags of  mulch

The acidic nature of the pine needles will do the trick for plants with larger root systems.  I can't imagine putting it on flower beds unless a good dose of lime also goes on it as well.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq