Son and Friends Starting a New Venturing Crew

UPDATE:  Our COR for the Troop and Pack is on board and very enthusastic about this.  He has obtained approval from the CO and has talked to Council about what we need to do to proceed.  We are up to 5 young woman and 5 young men that are interested just through word of mouth.  We have 2 female adults and 3 male adults volunteering.  

The next step is for the three catalysts - my son and the two young woman who are his co-conspirators - to meet to plan for the introductory meeting of the potential Venturers.  The planning meeting will probably be at the end of the month due to vacations and the introductory meeting most likely wil be in September.

In the meantime, my son and I will start reading the Venturer's Handbook and Advisor's Handbook -- well, as soon as they arrive from scoutstuff.com.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Six month update...   Crew is up to 12, with 3 more likely to join over the next two months as they turn 14 or graduate 8th grade.  That will make 15 (8 young woman 7 young men - 4 of whom are doubl

Then you'll find there's not much in the HBs that you haven't already consumed.   I would suggest that you and your son and his posse take this approach: Note the strengths and interests of the ad

Good luck.  While I haven't been involved in Venturing yet, I know some day I will be because my daughter wants to join very badly (she's only 8 right now).  An interesting book by a Scoutmaster who r

Nice!

If you are anxious for something to read, you can try the VLST syllabus: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/33491.pdf

Clicked there, read that.  I also found the guide to Crew Officer's Leadership Training, the spreadsheet for tracking the ranks, the description of the Ranger, Trust and Quest awards, the Crew Officer Orientation videos (awful), the Personal Saftey videos (really awful), the GTA sections related to Venturing; the Venturing BoR guidelines (very cool in that it is run by the youth) and the Venturing uniform guidelines.

Clicked there, read that.  I also found the guide to Crew Officer's Leadership Training, the spreadsheet for tracking the ranks, the description of the Ranger, Trust and Quest awards, the Crew Officer Orientation videos (awful), the Personal Saftey videos (really awful), the GTA sections related to Venturing; the Venturing BoR guidelines (very cool in that it is run by the youth) and the Venturing uniform guidelines.

Then you'll find there's not much in the HBs that you haven't already consumed.

I would suggest that you and your son and his posse take this approach:

• Note the strengths and interests of the adults.
  • Note the strengths and interests of the crew.
  • Each youth pick one activity they would like to do by the end of this year.
    • If they overlap with one another that's okay.
    • If an activity doesn't match anybody's strengths that's okay too.
  • Each adult determine if their is an activity that they could support a youth in implementing. (This might involve as little as providing the phone number of a consultant or as much as committing learn whatever.)
  • This information is all you need for the first open house. Which should be sort of like the AA meetings:
    • Hi, my name is ___ and I'm a {venturer/scouter}.
    • I can {insert strengths} I wish I could {insert interest}
    • Sometime in the next three months, I would like to {Insert activity}

From there, you get to say "And here's how we're gonna do that".

Exactly what you say next depends on your youth. If they are into bling, talk about ALPS; If they are into program, talk about the calendar; If they are into leadership training, talk about courses or clubs like Toastmasters. You won't be able to talk about it all (and you really shouldn't because you have 5 minutes max), so this part always ends with something like "And there's more, but all we need to know is if you want to be part of it (and can stand a little paperwork). Questions?"

• Upvote 2

I'm very interested in this, and I'm wishing you well with it!  (I have two daughters coming up behind my scout son, and I'm also interested in the type of stuff that venturers would do.

our SM is forming a venture patrol in the troop.  He is opposed to a crew.  Says he experienced years earlier when he was scouting with an older son, that a crew will take the older boys away from the troop and hurt the troop.

I understand that logic, but it seems to me that maybe it just wasn't done right.  Seems like it could work.... and it also seems to me that even if it did happen like this, there's no reason the troop couldn't continue on just fine anyway!... if done right.....

Regardless, we are in Northern Florida, and not even close to mountains......and so the obvious venture stuff, such as great trails for distance hikes, climbing, rafting, and so on are out.... so I'm at a loss as to what a crew would do around here that isn't so different from what a troop can do already.... except the coed thing

I'm very interested in this, and I'm wishing you well with it!  (I have two daughters coming up behind my scout son, and I'm also interested in the type of stuff that venturers would do.

our SM is forming a venture patrol in the troop.  He is opposed to a crew.  Says he experienced years earlier when he was scouting with an older son, that a crew will take the older boys away from the troop and hurt the troop.

I understand that logic, but it seems to me that maybe it just wasn't done right.  Seems like it could work.... and it also seems to me that even if it did happen like this, there's no reason the troop couldn't continue on just fine anyway!... if done right.....

Regardless, we are in Northern Florida, and not even close to mountains......and so the obvious venture stuff, such as great trails for distance hikes, climbing, rafting, and so on are out.... so I'm at a loss as to what a crew would do around here that isn't so different from what a troop can do already.... except the coed thing

A venture patrol is so much less administrative headache. I agree with your SM. Chances are, the culture that let things be done poorly before will let it happen again. Unless the CO or a couple of parents see the need for youth in the community who are not currently in the BSA, leave it at that.

If only you and your daughters see the need, start the crew with a different CO. That's one way to get yourself out of that treasurer's job!

As to what to do in North FL? Scuba, snorkel, kayaks/canoe trails, fishing, rodeos, the races ...

yeah, I'm pretty ure this was a different CO in a different city even.... a long time ago....

regardless, you make a valid point.

Scuba, snorkel, kayaks/canoe trails, fishing though.... all things scouts can do anyway..... but I guess the point is they can focus more on it.

... Scuba, snorkel, kayaks/canoe trails, fishing though.... all things scouts can do anyway..... but I guess the point is they can focus more on it.

Yes! Think nationally recognized certifications instead of MBs.

Plus handguns.

....  Scuba, snorkel, kayaks/canoe trails, fishing though.... all things scouts can do anyway....

One more thought on this ... although these are all things that scouts can do ... they may not be the things that any given troop or even a venture patrol within a troop will do.

For example, my 2nd wave of venturers were fully committed to Council and Area gatherings (and shouting across the dark autumn ravine "Hey, Boy Scouts, you wanna play cards?") ... a complete sea change from the 1st wave who, when other scouts were in the vicinity, pitched camp as far from them as possible. Looking back, I think this was because the Boy and Girl scouts in the first wave had had their fill of Camporees, Klondike Derbies, and other meets of like Jambo or the HA bases. Even in their respective troops, they actually were opting not to participate in such things. The second wave, however, had fewer such opportunities (thanks to their seniors' programming decisions).

The third wave? Well I think the pendulum has swung back a little. They are also preferring to camp with friends who wont join the crew, which hurts our membership. The troop on the other hand ... well it is the result of boys from different troops preferring to camp with one another! They're having a great time. And although the older scouts talk about wanting to be in "the crew",  they seem quite content with just what their troop is doing. So, I am trying to figure out if a crew will have anything to offer this lot.

Then you'll find there's not much in the HBs that you haven't already consumed.

I would suggest that you and your son and his posse take this approach:

• Note the strengths and interests of the adults.
  • Note the strengths and interests of the crew.
  • Each youth pick one activity they would like to do by the end of this year.
    • If they overlap with one another that's okay.
    • If an activity doesn't match anybody's strengths that's okay too.
  • Each adult determine if their is an activity that they could support a youth in implementing. (This might involve as little as providing the phone number of a consultant or as much as committing learn whatever.)
  • This information is all you need for the first open house. Which should be sort of like the AA meetings:
    • Hi, my name is ___ and I'm a {venturer/scouter}.
    • I can {insert strengths} I wish I could {insert interest}
    • Sometime in the next three months, I would like to {Insert activity}

From there, you get to say "And here's how we're gonna do that".

Exactly what you say next depends on your youth. If they are into bling, talk about ALPS; If they are into program, talk about the calendar; If they are into leadership training, talk about courses or clubs like Toastmasters. You won't be able to talk about it all (and you really shouldn't because you have 5 minutes max), so this part always ends with something like "And there's more, but all we need to know is if you want to be part of it (and can stand a little paperwork). Questions?"

I like the introductions and will suggest.  My recommendation is to have the core group explain the program by focusing on the possibilities -- Adventure, Activities, Group Identity, Service, Advancement and Personal Growth.  Leaving the best for last - Leadership.  Then I will tell them the most important thing - they are in charge and the program is theirs to decide.

Edited by Hedgehog

It doesn't sound like it was done right.  Our COR is truly behind this and he understands how the program operates and how it won't hurt the troop.  I'm going to be the Advisor and I"m the incoming SM for the Troop next June.  We have one SM of another neighboring Troop who has signed on as an Associate Advisor, the current SM of our Troop is likely to take an adult leadershp position and a current ASM of the troop as another Associate Advisor.  So many of the adults recognize the importance of having the older Scouts participate in the Troop.  As a result, this is being pitched as something in addition to the Troop.  The boys who are interersted are the ones that attend almost every outing and are looking for a reason to do more.  The idea of being a servant leader means that the boys will continue to serve and lead in the Troop.  Also, I've decided that Boy Scout advancement should be done through the Troop and not the Crew.

As I've mentioned before, our Troop has a great outdoor program with a lot of great activities -- rock climbing, canoing, horseback riding, beach camping, COPE, winter camping, backpacking and high adventure (50 miler / Sea Base).  The Venturing program will mirror a lot of those activities but the Venturers will decide what they want to do.  So the Venturing program isn't desinged to provide something that is missing -- just to provide something different.

We are up to 6 young woman and 5 young men interested in the Crew just by word of mouth.   The Crew's existence is being driven by what appears to be an untapped need in our community to provide adventure on a co-ed basis.  Although a lot of the potential Venturers don't know it, the program has a very different design than Boy Scouts and presents a lot of different challenges and opportunities.  It should be a very interesting year getting this Crew started.

Update: We are up to 7 young woman and 5 young men that are interested. We have two current scoutmasters, two assistant scoutmasters, and two committee members from two area troops volunteering along with two or three other adults for a total of 4 woman and 4 men. I'm meeting the CoR for coffee tomorrow to go over details and he has an appointment with the IH next week to sign the paperwork. Have the first meeting scheduled for late August. Should have a new Crew by September.

• Upvote 1

I hope you do well.  I had similar numbers lined up and it ended up all smoke and no flame.  Hang in there, it's worth the risk getting started and don't be disappointed if there are bumps along the way.  I'm excited for you!

I hope you do well.  I had similar numbers lined up and it ended up all smoke and no flame.  Hang in there, it's worth the risk getting started and don't be disappointed if there are bumps along the way.  I'm excited for you!

I think there will be flames.  At least 7 of the youth are already in Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts so they have an interest in scouting.  Most of the young women who are interested are REALLY interested in the focus on adventure and the guys are "hardcore" Boy Scouts who go on every adventure they can.  Also, the way this developed is that the core group are all friends.  I was laughing because four of them got together to watch the fifth perform in a play a couple of weeks back.

That sounds like a really nice depth chart. How many of your female adult leaders are back-country ready?

We have one female leader who is very experienced in backpacking and one who is comfortable hiking, boating and camping.  The other female leaders are willing to do day adventures - biking and hiking but I"m not sure about camping.  Three of the female leaders are the wives of the SMs or ASMs from the Troops.  I think we should be fine with two co-ed deep on adventures.