boy-led summer camp patrol method

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Eagledad

Eagledad

• Members
  • 5996 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:01 AM

For many troops, the SPL is busy because he attends all the meetings and responsibilities for the unit leaders. In most summer camps, camp policies and information for the patrols are given to the unit leaders to pass down to their scouts. The SPL is that unit leader in some troops.

Barry

"Experience is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first, then the lesson."

#22 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2883 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:38 AM

Reserve "leader" for youth.  We should be "Scouters" or "adults."

#23 Lurking...

Lurking...

• Members
  • 12252 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:55 AM

They call them Senior Patrol LEADER and Patrol LEADER and ScoutMASTER for obvious reasons....  If one doesn't have Leader as part of their title, then get out of the way of those who do.

#24 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2883 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:34 PM

Sign facing Scouter's section of seating at planning meeting for Dorchester International Brotherhood Camporee: "If you absolutely, positively have to contribute to the planning discussion, have a cookie instead."

#25 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Erinaceomorpha Erinaceidae Member

• Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:59 PM

I actually told the Camp Program Director that I was getting confused when they kept using the word "Leaders" to refer to the adults.  The camp pretty much told the adults the same thing at the "Leader" meetings that they told the SPLs at the "SPL" meeting (actually, the SPLs seemed to get more specific information).

#26 Lurking...

Lurking...

• Members
  • 12252 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:22 PM

I usually go to the "leaders" meeting at summer camp to get coffee.  Sometimes they have treats, too.  Other than that, they're pretty much a waste of time.

#27 SSScout

SSScout

• Members
  • 4033 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:18 AM

Our Panaderia here down the street will be open in a while.  What kind of pie do you want, Stosh?

#28 Lurking...

Lurking...

• Members
  • 12252 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:03 AM

Don't even get me going.  There's a restaurant in a small town in the west central part of the state called the Norskenook.  They make pies to die for!  I mean they do the from scratch, gotta be 65+ and a Norwegian grandmother to work in the bakery.   On March 14, 2015 (3.1415 etc) my whole family including my brother and his whole family who drove up from Illinois to have pie.  I took off from work to be there!

About 10 years ago they opened another restaurant in the northern part of the state..... 6 miles from the Boy Scout Camp!!  It was the worst week of my pie life.  So close and yet so far!

Edited by Stosh, 09 August 2016 - 09:04 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boy-led, summer camp, patrol method

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq