Unsupervised Youth Rescued

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 SSScout

SSScout

• Members
  • 3939 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:11 PM

If my Scoutson has a schmart phone, and I have a schmart phone, how close to each other do we have to be for me to be "supervising" him?

I will posit the news items about "free range children"..

https://www.washingt...d8e5_story.html

and   http://www.freerangekids.com/

"Make sure you're back in time for dinner".

"Okay, mom."

#22 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11748 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:05 PM

:)  When I was a kid my mom said the same thing.... except added the caveat, "otherwise it's a long wait for breakfast."  As a kid I ate a lot of PBJ before bedtime.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#23 MrBob

MrBob

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:28 PM

If my Scoutson has a schmart phone, and I have a schmart phone, how close to each other do we have to be for me to be "supervising" him?

Depends on the curfew ordinance of whatever municipality you and he happen to be in at the time.

#24 Beavah

Beavah

• Members
  • 8158 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:43 AM

Depends on the curfew ordinance of whatever municipality you and he happen to be in at the time.

Yah, curfew ordinances are funny things, eh?  They're a law that treads on the line of Constitutionally protected liberties.  We tolerate 'em as a society when they're used as a sort of response to loitering and mischief.   Otherwise not so much.  Kids who are asleep in tents at an approved campsite that they paid for (and where da park accepted their payment givin' 'em a contractual right) aren't likely to run afoul of curfew ordinances.  If they do, they should assert their right to peaceably assemble...    :cool:

Besides, by and large curfew ordinances are a feature of urban areas, not da rural areas with outdoors around that yeh actually want to camp in.  Most of 'em have exceptions for errands and other activities done under the parent's direction, and many have exceptions for activity as part of a youth program of some sort.

Beavah

Edited by Beavah, 05 July 2016 - 09:44 AM.

#25 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11748 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:16 PM

We had a curfew of 10:00 pm for minors in the town I grew up in.  One could be out doing whatever one wanted to do after curfew, but it was reserved as another fine when doing something one wasn't supposed to be doing in the first place.  If one caught caught speeding after curfew, one got two tickets, one for speeding and one for being out after curfew.  If the police saw someone out driving around and they knew they were under 18, they would ignore it as long as one was driving appropriately.  Being out after curfew was as much a parental issue as it was the child's.  If your kid was out playing in the park with his buddies, no big deal.  If they were in the park after curfew shooting off fireworks, then it's a whole different story.  Then Mom and Dad got yelled at too.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq