Not all evergreens are pine trees and not all evergreens keep their needles year around. Sedges are not grass. Dame's Rocket is an invasive plant, Phlox is not but they look the same. Wild Parsley is poisonous only in the daylight. All the parts of day lilies are edible, but tiger lilies are not.
Maybe we should allow some electronics in the field - I have a pad set-up to access the internet over a mobile network - in essence, the pad is it's own wi-fi device - and as long as it can reach a cell tower, it can access the internet - then statements like the above can be checked in the field (apologies to Stosh in advance - I admit to being a precisionist when it comes to facts which means I can come across as pedantic).
"Not all evergreens are pine trees and not all evergreens keep their needles year around" - As written, partially true - spruce and fir are not pine trees and are evergreens, hollies are not pine trees and are evergreens. To say that not all evergreens keep their needles year around suggests that all evergreens have needles (hollies have leaves) and semantically, if a tree loses its needles all at once every year, it's not an evergreen. I'd say 'Not all evergreens are conifers and not all conifers are evergreens that keep their needles year around'. Hollies aren't conifers but they are evergreens and larches are conifers but aren't evergreens.
"Sedges are not grass" - yep!
"Dame's Rocket is an invasive plant, Phlox is not but they look the same" - They do look similar from a distance but close-up, Dame's Rocket flowers have 4 petals, Phlox flowers have 5 petals - a field guide filled or web enabled pad can help make that distinction.
"Wild Parsley is poisonous only in the daylight" - it's Wild Parsnip that has a juice that is photo-sensitive that can cause a rash when exposed to sunlight. In sensitive individuals, the rash usually develops a day or two after exposure so it's often unkown why the rash develops. While the juice of the plant does need sunlight to activate, there hasn't been enough research done to determine if the juice needs to be fresh in order for it to cause a rash (thus being poisonous only in the daylight) or whether dried juices on someones arms or legs can still be activated by the sun - we don't really know if someone who is exposed to the juices at night and hasn't had a chance to wash up, wll develop a rash tooo.
"All the parts of day lilies are edible, but tiger lilies are not." The plant most people think of when they hear Tiger Lily is Lilium lancifolium, aka Lilium tigrinum, a non-native orange flowered lily with spots from Asia, is in fact edible. All parts of this plant is edible by humans but it is toxic to cats. The original day lily, another import from Asia, an orange flowered lily without spots, Hemerocallis fulva, is also edible. The other Day Lilies that we commonfly find growing in gardens and flower beds are either not edible or have questionable edibility. They are generally hybrids created from Hemerocallis fulva but bred for certain characterstics like color, or size, or hardiness. I wouldn't go out in to the garden and start harvesting your day lily floweres for your salads.
Edited by CalicoPenn, 02 July 2016 - 09:17 AM.