• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 The Latin Scot

The Latin Scot

part Latino, part Scottish ... get it?

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:29 PM

I admit, having grown up here in Southern California, I never wore shoes except to Church or special events. My pair of rainbows is practically a part of my skin; I run, hike, show, and travel in them. The only outdoor activity where I put on boots is where there are potential hazards from animals, plants, or terrain. Otherwise my toes go free.

There is no such word as "Webelo." 

The only proper singular of Webelos Scouts is ... WEBELOS SCOUT!  

#42 clivusmultrum

clivusmultrum

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:55 AM

The singular of Webelos Scout is ... WEBELOS SCOUT!  That's it! Please take the extra half second and get it right! Thank you for indulging my little pet peeve!

Did I mention my obnoxious OCD?   :D

Are you sure? I think first person singular would be IBELOS. If you are addressing one of same you call them YOUBELOS.  Where I am writing this you might hear the occasional Y'ALLBELOS in lieu of WEBELOS - regionally accepted.

Glad I could help.

Clivus

Edited by clivusmultrum, 30 May 2017 - 11:56 AM.

#43 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2835 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

Are you sure? I think first person singular would be IBELOS. If you are addressing one of same you call them YOUBELOS.  Where I am writing this you might hear the occasional Y'ALLBELOS in lieu of WEBELOS - regionally accepted.

Glad I could help.

Clivus

Yes.  He's sure.  And he's correct.  

" Adventure pin A recognition device given to a Webelos Scouts for completing the requirements for an adventure."

"A Webelos Scout who has earned the Arrow of Light rank has now completed all the requirements for the Scout badge and may join a Boy Scout troop. "

"The highest rank in Cub Scouting is the Arrow of Light rank, which you will begin working on as a Webelos Scout."

The "S" is for "Scouts", not the plural.  We will be loyal Scouts.   "On Akela's trail, we will never fail. And without any doubts, We will be loyal Scouts. We are Cub Scouts after all."

#44 The Latin Scot

The Latin Scot

part Latino, part Scottish ... get it?

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:34 PM

Well, first of all I hope my signature is understood to have been born not out of agitation, but rather out of respect to the thousands of Webelos Scouts who have to endure being called a "webelo" by adults who just won't take the time to learn what the word means nor how it ought to be used.  :mad:

That said, I will assume @clivusmultrum posts in jest when he addresses my signature, although it is distracting somewhat from the point of this thread (but then where else would one poke fun at another's signature?). I also appreciate your stepping in @TAHAWK in defence of both my certainty and my position - both are appreciated. 

It's an uphill battle fighting the misuse of a word that by now should be generally understood by the Scouting community, but "Webelos" is a lovely term that deserves defending, so I will climb that hill to fight that battle as long as I can ... even in my beach-worn, open-toed flip-flops. Because this thread deserves to be kept on-topic somehow.  :rolleyes:

Edited by The Latin Scot, 30 May 2017 - 04:36 PM.

There is no such word as "Webelo." 

The only proper singular of Webelos Scouts is ... WEBELOS SCOUT!  

#45 Chadamus

Chadamus

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:34 PM

Keeping a thread on topic is also an uphill battle, Latin Scot. ☺
I read clivusmultrum's post as an attempt at humor. One I personally found successful, thus my upvote. Sometimes things are too serious around here...

#46 krikkitbot

krikkitbot

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:49 AM

I decided to get a pair of closed toe sandals for summer camp. I opted for KEEN even though Merrell makes something that looks like a running shoe in the front half and a sandal in the back half. I was concerned about having burrs stick to it or pebbles that could not be shaken out. 

I know, I know, sticks and stones... I'm so used to sandals that I have even worn sandals when climbing things up to a 5.7 or so. 

Now to find out who will make a stink out of my "closed toe shoes" first, camp staff or other parents. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq