SHOULD NEPHEW GO TO SUMMER CAMP, OR IS IT TOO SOON

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Tampa Turtle

Tampa Turtle

• Members
  • 2704 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:58 AM

Ah yes 'the game with no name' or BS ("Boy" "Scout". yeah right).

#22 Beavah

Beavah

• Members
  • 8158 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:12 PM

Yah, I think your approach is right on, @UncleP.  Uncles are special people, eh?  Thank you for bein' there for your nephew.

All the advice you're gettin' is very good, eh?  Da one thing I'm goin' to suggest is that yeh let da Scoutmaster know about the lad's temperament when he gets overtired.  Camps can be a bit of a sleep deprivation experiment, eh?  Lots of folks around to late at night, early mornings with reveille, lots more physical activity than in a boy's typical day. 

Sometimes it helps for first year lads to get "strongly encouraged" to get more rest, and for da youth and adult leaders to know about overtired behaviors.  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Beavah

#23 UncleP

UncleP

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:24 AM

POPULAR

My thanks to everyone for their encouragement and good advise.  My nephew is going to Summer Camp, and I will speak to the Scoutmaster regarding his needs.  He will being taking the "First Year Camper Program" and "Swimming" Merit Badge.  That should leave him plenty of time for fun.

Maybe the problem is that I should have more confidence in him, and not worry so much.  

#24 scoutldr

scoutldr

• Members
  • 4472 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:21 AM

He will do fine.  Scout on!

#25 desertrat77

desertrat77

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 06:41 AM

Uncle P, thanks for sharing the great news!

#26 Zaphod

Zaphod

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:42 AM

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( and yes I'm shouting at ya! ;)  )

Seriously though, I did not go to summer camp my first year. I didn't find out about it until about a month before camp and couldn't' come up with the money. My peers who went had such a huge advantage on me when they came back, not only rank wise, but also acceptance-wise with the troop, That I eventually became discouraged and quit. Only by being reminded of some cousins' troop did I get back in.

That played a big factor in me sending my brand new scout. He joined a Troop of 12 boys and ALL 12 of them are going to camp! It's hard enough being new, but imagine being new and missing the biggest bonding experience of the year? I didn't want that for him so even though he is pensive about it, he is going. 

#27 JasonG172

JasonG172

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 08:55 AM

1.  Should he attend or is it too soon (experience might overwhelm him)?

2.  If he does go to Summer Camp, any advise on how to get the most out of the experience.

Thank you

1. Depends on this Webelos leader and if he/she prepared him for Boy Scouts.  My son is a Scouter (1st year Boy Scout) and he was prepared for Summer Camp

2.  Trailblazer Program (if the camp has one) Swimming and FireSafety.  There is enough time for Merit Badges

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users