I was asked tonight to staff Woodbadge next year as a troop guide.  For those that have done this, how much time is involved in doing it?  I want to do it but I need to see how much wife aggravation I will get.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's with the snarky replies? Someone enjoyed scouts in their own way and you guys tell him he's wrong because it isn't good enough? Cchoat said he had one of his best experiences. He didn't say he

That's too bad.  If your most rewarding experiences in Scouting don't involve working with Scouts, something went wrong.   

I'm in training for my first-time staffing a WB course. It's been a bucket list item to staff a WB course. I jumped at the chance and I too had a bit of resistance from my family due to the time deman

Im ASM Troop Guides for our upcoming course.  I told my guides at our first meeting that they have the toughest job in the course because of all the preparation and the multiple hats they wear.  But that they have the best job in the course because they get to truly connect with those 6 people and see, up close, the impact WB has.

Yes, it is a lot of time to be well prepared but it is so worth it.  My WB experience was pretty good but my first time staffing is what solidified my belief in team building and my desire to become a better leader.

That said - I have heard a lot of people who had awful experiences at WB and/or on staff.  My suggestion to you then is to find out who you will be working with and for (your Course Director, your ASM Troop Guides and the other TGs).  Base your decision on how well you like those folks and believe they will do things right (i.e. not a bunch of BS and drama).

Yes, you will get wife aggro.

But it can help you see the course in a whole new way and learn more the second time around when you aren't rushed and feeling like your head is going to explode.

It would be good to do, but its the 2 weekends of the course + being there a day before participants + a few staff developments, one of which is most likely an overnight.

Talked with my wife last night and the conversation was definitely along the lines of "You think adult scouts are more important than your family?  You should do what you feel is right...."

Looks like this is not yet the right time for me accept this opportunity.  :-(  I really wish i could do it but I like being married.

• Upvote 1

Talked with my wife last night and the conversation was definitely along the lines of "You think adult scouts are more important than your family?  You should do what you feel is right...."

Looks like this is not yet the right time for me accept this opportunity.  :-(  I really wish i could do it but I like being married.

Most of my WB staff sons had aged out. You can always wait till then.

"You should do what you feel is right" now THAT is a classic trap. And THAT is why I am staying home this summer while the boys are away.

After 32 years you'd think I'd understand her better.

Scouts can have an unlimited demand on your time if you let it. I have observed the biggest factor in our retaining our Scoutmasters is the tolerance of their spouses and if they have a teenage daughter that they are not spending enough time with.

You can comfort yourself on modeling good behavior for your scouts.

• Upvote 1

Scouts can have an unlimited demand on your time if you let it. I have observed the biggest factor in our retaining our Scoutmasters is the tolerance of their spouses and if they have a teenage daughter that they are not spending enough time with.

You can comfort yourself on modeling good behavior for your scouts.

Our SM really tries to make as many events as he can, and that has caused some friction with his wife on a couple of occasions. He's grown to be a little better about delegating to his ASM's and taking events off. That's the key function of our job, to sub for the SM when he is absent. 

• Upvote 1

Im ASM Troop Guides for our upcoming course.  I told my guides at our first meeting that they have the toughest job in the course because of all the preparation and the multiple hats they wear.  But that they have the best job in the course because they get to truly connect with those 6 people and see, up close, the impact WB has.

Yes, it is a lot of time to be well prepared but it is so worth it.  My WB experience was pretty good but my first time staffing is what solidified my belief in team building and my desire to become a better leader.

That said - I have heard a lot of people who had awful experiences at WB and/or on staff.  My suggestion to you then is to find out who you will be working with and for (your Course Director, your ASM Troop Guides and the other TGs).  Base your decision on how well you like those folks and believe they will do things right (i.e. not a bunch of BS and drama).

I agree with the whole post, but I really like what jjlash said about the staff. Just like in a troop, the staff of a WB will take on the personality of the director. Every WB staff I participated on had a different personality and a different perspective on what the participants should get from the course. I became picky about the directors I worked under.

The Troop Guides do work very hard, but most of the staff are there to support them, so it's generally a very rewarding experience. 

Barry

Would be a nice dilemma to face, but I have never been one of the elite few to be considered to staff a Woodbadge course.

I wouldn't say elite, I am just a dedicated volunteer like everyone else here.  I happen to do a lot at the district level so that is why they asked I am sure.

Don't feel bad, I've never been invited to staff WB.... Or anything else in the council..... Not even attending train the trainers.  :)  I bet it's been 10 years since I was asked to do a session for U of Scouting.  Sometimes it's a good thing to be a boy led, patrol method heretic.  The last session I taught was a one time session on fire building, wood selection, woods tools,  etc.  I asked for two hours.  They scheduled me for 10:00 in the morning.  After two hour no one wanted to go to lunch, but kept the question/answer session going for another 45 minutes.  They wolfed down lunch in 15 minutes to make the 1:00 pm session.  It isn't everyday that they learn how to make a fire with wet wood and no matches.... :) 

• 2 weeks later...

*cue the music*

"I wanted to be a staffer, a good old staffer too!

I've even had some training so I’d know what to do.

But politics so old and feeble, and I can staff no more.

So I won’t wear my beads when I can.

Back to Troop,  happy land"

Your mileage my vary but for me the answer will continue to be No

Edited by oldisnewagain1