• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 JosephMD

JosephMD

Chapter Adviser & Troop Committee

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 01:46 PM

Inspired by another thread on budgets, etc.  I thought I'd do some discussion on OA related expenses.

Lodge Dues - $14

Banquet - $35

Spring Fellowship - $35

Ordeal - $35 (regular member price)

Conclave - $40

LLD - $10

Fall Fellowship - $35

That's $204 / year.  I think I captured everything.  Our lodge does a deal that includes Dues, Banquet, Spring & Fall Fellowships that saves about $15 if you pay in advance.  That's what I do for myself. 

Not sure why the banquet is that expensive. I suppose I could look at their budget. 

I will probably also attend a fall ordeal this year, so, probably another $35

#2 JasonG172

JasonG172

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:15 PM

Our Ordeal cost is $15 for existing members. $35 Brotherhood and $55 Ordeal

Our Conclave was $75

Banquet was $15 a person

Dues $10

#3 CalicoPenn

CalicoPenn

• Members
  • 3122 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:46 PM

Dues = $10

Spring Fellowship (Ordeals, Brotherhood, Vigil) = $50 for Ordeal candidates, $20 pre-registration, $25 regular registration - all others

Fall Fellowship - same as Spring costs - Vigil ceremony not done

Banquet = $30

LLD = $10

Section Conclave = $40 pre-registered, $40 regular registration

Assuming no pre-registrations and not an Ordeal candidate, and attending every event:  $140.00 per year.  $165 for first year Ordeal member.

Not a bad deal at all

#4 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Erinaceomorpha Erinaceidae Member

• Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:21 AM

Dues = $15

Ordeal = $60 Candidate / $35 Brother (both with a $10 discount for early registration)

Conclave = $38

Fall Fellowship = $35

#5 jpstodwftexas

jpstodwftexas

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:16 AM

After Ordeal Around here 95% just pay the yearly Dues...Sash and Dash is where the Money is....

#6 David CO

David CO

• Members
  • 833 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:06 PM

What a rip-off.  My unit has never participated in OA, so I had no idea.  

#7 SWScouter

SWScouter

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 01:22 PM

The OP seems to belong to an expensive lodge.

My lodge:

Dues: $10

Banquet: $15

Spring Fellowship: $15

Ordeals: $25 for members, less for elangomats and ceremonialists. $55 for ordeal candidates (includes sash, handbook, flap, etc.)

Brotherhood: $25 (I think, might be $20 but the cost of the sashes was recently increased)

Also, the lodge offers an "Ididerall" for $100 that includes two plates to the banquet, Spring Fellowship, four ordeals, and a special patch. It's a good deal

#8 SWScouter

SWScouter

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 01:24 PM

What's the ripoff? Usually the price is commensurate with the cost to provide the activity.

#9 JasonG172

JasonG172

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:08 PM

What's the ripoff? Usually the price is commensurate with the cost to provide the activity.

He might mean that the lodge isn't being "Thrifty"

#10 JosephMD

JosephMD

Chapter Adviser & Troop Committee

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:04 PM

He might mean that the lodge isn't being "Thrifty"

Having seen what goes into budgets, you are right.  I think it comes down to, our youth do the planning and from the top down, it is stressed, you can't be negative under any circumstance.  So, they are overly cautious with their budget estimates that dictate the price.  The nice thing is, when the event comes in at a surplus, that surplus goes back into the program in different ways, so it isn't money wasted in the end, so it doesn't really bother me. 

#11 Tampa Turtle

Tampa Turtle

• Members
  • 2505 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:15 AM

Mine is $100-$200 a year. I do not do all activities. I find it run much thriftier than many Troops.

#12 desertrat77

desertrat77

• Members
  • 2249 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:29 AM

I haven't been active in OA since the early '80s, so this conversation is an eye-opener for me.

I recall paying for:

1.  Annual dues (a very low figure)

2.  Events (meal cost and the patch/neckerchief you received for attending)

Financially, the ultimate goal was to keep the costs as low as possible to encourage all scouts to attend and not take resources away from the troop or families.  

In fact, I was recently going through my footlocker and found a conclave neckerchief that was all homemade.   The committee had pooled their resources and figured out a way to make it in-house to keep the cost down.

Some lodges seem to have taken on a life of their own.

#13 Tampa Turtle

Tampa Turtle

• Members
  • 2505 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:01 PM

Our dues went from $5 to a staggering $12. Events run $25 to $45 but you often get a patch and sometimes a pretty nifty shirt. 

#14 Oldscout448

Oldscout448

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:57 AM

Hmm, I would venture a guess that I spend $100-$150 a year of stuff for the ceremonies team. Arrows, belts, glue, an old bow at a yard sale, a couple of gallons of k1 ...My chapter advisor is a good guy and says he will try to get the lodge to reimburse me, but in 10 years of doing this I've not seen a penny yet.
I also buy treats for ' my boys' whenever we do a ceremony, cookies, cokes,etc. Which is my treat to them so I neither ask for not expect any refund.

#15 Back Pack

Back Pack

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:47 AM

We pay $10. I don't do much else so I cannot say. We do have events that have minor costs around $10 or maybe as high $25.

#16 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12198 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:54 PM

@Back Pack 

Ya slipped in without saying "Hi", so I'll welcome you properly!  :)

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#17 Oldscout448

Oldscout448

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:26 AM

Well it looks like I gotta eat my words, I got a check in yestersdays mail for about $70 for what I spent on last months ordeal. That's a first.

As it's my 34th anniversary I guess I'll take my wife to a fancier dinner than pizza hut.

#18 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6612 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:27 AM

Once again, I +ed instead of -ed.
Happy anniversary and enjoy the ride to the burger drive-through!

#19 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Erinaceomorpha Erinaceidae Member

• Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:15 AM

Shouldn't the value of something be considered based on what you get in exchange?  If your unit never participated in OA, you have no idea of what you get in exchange.

So, for our Ordeal it is $60, less the $10 discount is $50.  Included in that is the first year's dues of $15.  So that is $35.  For that we got two HUGE meals, two small meals, two nights camping and a sash, pocket patch and book.

My son went to Conlclave for $38.  That included food on Friday, three meals on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday with two nights of camping.  He also received a goodie bag, pocket patch, hanging patch and more.

However, there are things you can't put a price on.  My son went to Conclave alone -- without me and without anyone from our Troop.  On the way going there I asked him what parts of the scout law he would focus on.  His response is "friendly, helpful and brave -- because I don't know anyone."  He came back after having the time of his life.  He said, "I made like 10 friends in an hour and felt more at home with the guys in my lodge than I do with alot of the guys in our Troop."  He is with a bunch of guys who take scouting as seriously as he does -- not the guys that are doing Eagle for their college application and not the guys who are sash and dash.  He is already planning on running for a chapter position in the Fall.

Over that weekend he learned the meaning of a new word, "fellowship."  PRICELESS.

#20 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1903 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:10 PM

I have not been active with my lodge for a while. Dues are $12/year. There is a payment card that you pay a one time fee, and it covers the 3 Ordeals, Fellowship, and I believe also the banquet, but don't quote me on the banquet.  Anyway, if you bought the card, if you missed 1 event, you still saved money. Unfortunately that came after I stepped down as chapter adviser.

"Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!" William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq