History of Scouting Trail Washington DC

Today, my sons and I spent the day in Washington DC walking James E. West History of Scouting trail.  One of four hikes put together by the National Captial Area Council History Committee.  My older boy tried to get this going with his patrol but had no takers, so decided to take his little brother instead.

It was't a long hike, at least not the planned route, but logistically challenging and took much of the day for various reasons.  The idea is you walk to various locations via instructions given on a guide and answer challenge questions at various stops along the way.  Some of them were easy, others, not so. 

If you ever have a unit or patrol in Washington DC, be sure they know about these hikes.  They take you around all of the sites in the down town federal zone around the mall, captial, and white house. 

http://www.ncacbsa.org/activitiesevents/host-hike/

Did you "earn the patch" or "Medal"?  

Of course.

My younger son is probably the most proud of his medal and hopes to get it presented at the year's last pack meeting, hopefully his extra dangly bar will come.  Older son thinks the medal is cool, but was more interested in the patches.

It was an expensive day for sure.  $10/person registration, included event patch and participation CSP.  $10/medal plus $5/add on bar (they didn't have the one for cub scouts).  $5/ for the "earned" CSP looking patch, which they didn't have for our hike.  $15 parking, so, over $100 at this point. 

The good news is that most of the "profit" goes to the council history committee, my son the patch collector gets some goodies, and a good time was had by all. 

z5Kxm19.jpg

Obviously, some left overs from 2015!