• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Krampus

Krampus

Side Kick to Nikolaus

• Members
  • 1870 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:27 AM

Some of the camps we have been with charge you the same if you use their tents or your own. Also no difference in price if you eat in the mess hall or cook on your own.

Wow, really? I thought the largest cost of summer camp was the labor (staff) and the food.

Maybe it is just our region but summer camps with mess halls are more pricey than those where you cook on your own. Likewise, camps where you bring your own cot/mattress are slightly less costly than camps that provide them. Maybe it is a southwest thing.

#42 Lurking...

Lurking...

• Members
  • 12252 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:12 AM

Central WY Council's camp Camp Buffalo Bill, has no tents and costs more than my local Council camp.... and as an out of council troop we would need to pay $100 more, another $25 for late registration and the adults aren't free.  There's a big difference one has to check out when looking to go to any Scout Camp.  When one can do 9 days in BWCA at half the cost of 5 days of summer camp, the Scout is Thrifty comes into play rather quickly.

#43 blw2

blw2

Troop Treasurer

• Members
  • 2002 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:18 AM

interesting.... I'm attending summer camp this year.... my 1st since I was a scout

and I was wondering about the tent situation

As I understand thy'll have the wall tents for us.... figured it was just the normal thing at all scout reservations...

but honestly I'd almost rather sleep in my tent, even though it's small.  i figure I'll sleep better on my mattress and on my own... and have been wondering if that would be frowned upon....

#44 Lurking...

Lurking...

• Members
  • 12252 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:02 AM

interesting.... I'm attending summer camp this year.... my 1st since I was a scout

and I was wondering about the tent situation

As I understand thy'll have the wall tents for us.... figured it was just the normal thing at all scout reservations...

but honestly I'd almost rather sleep in my tent, even though it's small.  i figure I'll sleep better on my mattress and on my own... and have been wondering if that would be frowned upon....

There are certain expectation rules for the boys.  Adults can do what every they wish.  I've done it both ways.  I kinda like my own tent over the big wall tents, but they are all right. 

#45 Krampus

Krampus

Side Kick to Nikolaus

• Members
  • 1870 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:55 AM

Central WY Council's camp Camp Buffalo Bill, has no tents and costs more than my local Council camp.... and as an out of council troop we would need to pay $100 more, another $25 for late registration and the adults aren't free.  There's a big difference one has to check out when looking to go to any Scout Camp.  When one can do 9 days in BWCA at half the cost of 5 days of summer camp, the Scout is Thrifty comes into play rather quickly.

They are near Yellowstone so they charge a premium. Medicine Mountain is near Rushmore and is only $270...a better deal. We found the same thing with Colorado. BDSR was far cheaper than Alexander and, IMHO, in a much better and more scenic area.

I think the key is, if you look around you can find some great deals.

#46 Lurking...

Lurking...

• Members
  • 12252 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:30 PM

Heck, I'd rather do BWCA at half the price and twice the fun.

#47 King Ding Dong

King Ding Dong

Snack Master

• Members
  • 1382 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:49 PM

Heck, I'd rather do BWCA at half the price and twice the fun.

But there is that pesky age limit thingy.

#48 Lurking...

Lurking...

• Members
  • 12252 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:17 PM

But there is that pesky age limit thingy.

No there isn't.

#49 King Ding Dong

King Ding Dong

Snack Master

• Members
  • 1382 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:53 PM

You can take 10 year olds to Ely now?

#50 Lurking...

Lurking...

• Members
  • 12252 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:44 PM

Yep, just lent my canoes out to a family that had young children and they are headed to the BWCA this month.

#51 scoutermomks

scoutermomks

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:20 PM

Quivira Scout Ranch is my council's camp and no, they have never had tents or platforms, except for staff.  Our troop went to Lewis and Clark in South Dakota last year and they didn't provide tents either.  I think in the midwest it's hit and miss on camps that do provide tents.  I've been looking into out of council camps for next summer and I'm finding that about half of them have tents and half don't.

At QSR it's good to be in an enclosed sleeping area since there are tarantulas, snakes, ticks, and scorpions.  And the campsites aren't all in areas where you could easily hang a hammock.  Some have lots of trees but some don't.  Any tent you bring you'll want to make sure you bring a ground cloth to put under it, some of the campsite are rocky and since there was just a wildfire there last month there could still be some stubbly vegetation in some sites.  I know from experience that the stubble will poke right though the bottom of a tent.

#52 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2887 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:38 AM

All the council camps in the part of the world use the green, two-man canvas tents from B.S.A. Supply.  

No insect netting.  

Mist comes through in heavy rain (Bring the blue tarps!).  

Rot in a few years so they have to be replaced.

I have an ancient Eureka Nylon "Cabin Camper" - an 8 x 8 wall tent.   We bought it decades ago for family camping and when the coating started to smell sorta' organic, it became the Summer Camp Tent. I have recoated it twice.  Still keeps the bugs and rain out.  I use six pieces of 8" x 8" x 1/2" plywood to keep cot legs from puncturing the floor.  Including the plywood, it weighs only a pound or two more than the two-man canvas floorless "Explorer" I packed as a Scout.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

IPB Skin By Virteq