• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12189 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:39 PM

I was in the reenacting world for 15 years.  In all that time we had only 2 buglers.  They were fantastic.  At a national event where there were a number of buglers, that was the best, and functional bugling I have ever heard.  As a captain of a company, I had to be on my toes to make sure I KNEW what was being called.  Pushed my envelop, it was great!

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#22 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12189 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:52 PM

During the Civil War, the troops were trained in the manual of arms based on Napoleonic tactics and thus used French bugle calls.  The bugle call at the beginning of the war was Lights Out as the precursor to today's modern "Taps"

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#23 The Latin Scot

The Latin Scot

part Latino, part Scottish ... get it?

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:25 PM

I have (well, had, he just crossed over last month) an 11-year-old boy in my Webelos Den who takes trumpet at school, and is always anxious to play it. As it turns out he is also passionate about Scouting, and has always shown a keen interest in achievement and Scouting history. Well, I mentioned to him that the rarest merit badge of all is Bugling, and that Bugler counts as a position of responsibility towards Star and Life Scout - now he is trying to convince his parents to find him a bugling teacher! 

My fingers are crossed that in a couple of years we might be one of the precious few troops with a real bugler on hand!

There is no such word as "Webelo." 

The only proper singular of Webelos Scouts is ... WEBELOS SCOUT!  

#24 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12189 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:51 PM

If the boy plays trumpet in school he can learn the bugle real easily.  Just don't push down any of the trumpet valves and you'll do just fine. A bugle can play only 4-5 notes, the valves on a trump allow tubing to adjust such that all the notes in the scale (sharps and flats, too) can be planed.  Bugling is a lot easier to play than a trumpet or coronet.  Get this boy the music and he'll do just fine!  You're a lucky dog @The Latin Scot

http://www.ebay.com/...4AAOSwdGFYrJv8 

Looks tough, had some hard wear, but it'll play just fine.  Have him use his trumpet mouthpiece.

Don't have him take his good trumpet into the field.  This is a G trumpet, but the slide pulls out to the F pitch which is lower and easier to play.  If the slide is stuck a music store should be able to free it and with Vaseline, it'll move very easily.  The mouthpiece on this bugle is not an original and should be easier to play, he may not need to use his trumpet mouthpiece.

Edited by Stosh, 24 February 2017 - 10:12 PM.

Stosh

#25 The Latin Scot

The Latin Scot

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:36 AM

Awesome, thanks for the extra information Stosh! Coming from a family of musicians, I have been bred to guard fine instruments with my life - I have already forbidden him from taking his nice trumpet on outdoor adventures; it's been regulated to indoor troop events until he can find a bugle that is durable enough to go along on his adventures. His dad works for a major computer technology company, so the kid won't have any problems getting a hold of a good bugle with enough hard work and begging, lol. I will forward the link you gave me to them right away.

In addition to that, one of my older brothers is a symphony clarinetist and he is asking his associates in the brass section for the name of an affordable teacher who could give the boy some tips on the differences between trumpet playing to bugling (I wish you were here to show him the ropes @Stosh). Hopefully we can get whomever we find to register as a Bugling merit badge counselor so that this young man can get the Bugling merit badge! This Scout in particular is exceptionally driven and quick to learn; I am confident he will master the basics in no time. We are lucky indeed!

#26 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12189 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:36 AM

I have 3 bugles at my disposal.  A Brutish duty bugle (small, coronet sized bugle), a US military Conn G/F bugle (what we would consider a regular bugle), and my prized trophy, a mint, BSA, silver, G/F bugle that has no scratches or dents.  Looks literally brand new.  Yes, the silver bugle does not go in the field, that's what the US Conn is for.  :)

Stosh

#27 The Latin Scot

The Latin Scot

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:06 PM

:eek:

You own a MINT BSA SILVER BUGLE?!?!?!?

THAT is a treasure if ever there was one! If I had such a prize it would be hanging over my mantelpiece in all its glory; what a beautiful artifact to possess! 

#28 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12189 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:44 PM

Sorry for the huge pictures, I didn't know how to make them smaller, but it does show the detail. 

Having trouble with the pics. 

Nope, the forum isn't going to accept them.  I compressed them, cropped them and still won't work.

Edited by Stosh, 25 February 2017 - 02:56 PM.

Stosh

#29 The Latin Scot

The Latin Scot

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:07 PM

Well that's a cryin' shame - I would love to see it if anybody can figure out how to get those pictures to upload!

#30 blw2

blw2

Troop Treasurer

• Members
  • 1979 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:04 AM

yeah, I tried for a long time to get a good buy on ebay for a bugle right after I signed on, but was always outbid.  Eventually gave up

#31 pchadbo

pchadbo

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:53 AM

My son, a trumpeter in his school band and now has all the pieces he needs.  He got a Bugle for Christmas, he has the Merit badge book, a MBC in the Troop, and a soon to be educated SPL who will have fun making his new Bugler work, and he and I downloaded all the music for the MB required calls, 15 in all.

#32 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12189 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:10 PM

I picked up that BSA silver bugle for about $80.  It was not that long ago either.

Stosh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq