What's the best campsite between Pittsburgh and San Antonio?

So, in a couple of weeks I'm driving daughter's car to her new job sight. If we manage to spare a day (or even a couple of hours between shifts driving) where would be your favorite stop?

So, in a couple of weeks I'm driving daughter's car to her new job sight. If we manage to spare a day (or even a couple of hours between shifts driving) where would be your favorite stop?

What route are you taking? 

If you take 40 over Nashville and Memphis, you GOTTA STOP at Bozos Hot Pit BBQ in Mason, TN. They don't serve booze, only sweet tea. The BBQ is to die for. Their sauce is pretty good too. It is off the beaten path but everyone knows about the place. The fried pies are pretty good afters.

If you love BBQ like I do, then the guys who keep up this map will be your folk heros. The Texas BBQ Posse has used Google Earth for the best purpose ever: To map all the best BBQ joints in Texas. As you go through the Dallas area be sure to try the Meshack in Garland. Hole in the wall but don't let that scare you. Great, cheap BBQ. 

If you hit Austin at lunch time there's Franklins.

The mecca down in San Antonio for BBW is the New Braunfels Smokehouse

Most of these joints are on the way and require little re-routing.

What else does your daughter like. There's tons to don on a drive like that.

Thanks! I do like BBQ. And gravitate to suspect hole-in-the-wall joints.

I think my daughter would simply like a nice campground to pull in late and leave early ... splitting the drive in half or 1/3. We'd be leaving first thing Tuesday (or late Monday if we can get the title transferred quickly), and I think she reports to work Friday.

Thanks! I do like BBQ. And gravitate to suspect hole-in-the-wall joints.

I think my daughter would simply like a nice campground to pull in late and leave early ... splitting the drive in half or 1/3. We'd be leaving first thing Tuesday (or late Monday if we can get the title transferred quickly), and I think she reports to work Friday.

Any Texas State park is nice, though the ones in East Texas got a ton of rain this week. There are spots in AR but none close to 30 and the ones east of Little Rock or south of 30 are suspect.

Enchanted Rock is a great park but a bit out of the way. Worth the trip but get to the park early. Weekdays you'd shouldn't have a problem. Watch for rattlers. :)

PM me if you want to share the route and timeline. I can give you a few more tips. Shouldn't take more than two days to drive. I do Dallas to DC in 16 hours. :)

• 3 weeks later...

So, this week was a wash (quite literally) as far as campsites go. But these are great ideas. I'll keep them in mind.

It just so happened that I could meet @@Krampus, who unlike his avatar, was rather nice to my kid. (Think Santa Clause with BBQ instead of toys in the off season, you get the idea.) Good thing too, because where we met, anything with horns was on the menu.

We touched on the tragic week his troop was dealing with, and it sounds like he has good people. But our job was mainly to be friendly strangers passing through so he could offer a couple hours of hospitality and scoutmasterlyness. (My daughter is already starting to line up her hiking buddies on his advice.)

This is a fun brotherhood. We try to remind everyone here to manage their back and forth so that if you meet in person, you'll never hold what you wrote against one another.  This world is small enough that your paths might indeed cross.

• Upvote 2

@@qwazse, it was great to meet you both. I am so glad you had a safe trip. We don't get a lot of rain in Texas, but when we do it is torrential. ;) Easy to see where your daughter gets her adventurous spirit. She will do well in her new job and I am sure she will like Texas a lot.

For those who are native Texans there's a saying, "I wasn't born in Texas...but I got here as quick as I could."

If you are dropping through Texas again let me know. Hopefully it is on a weekend where I can hook you up with my unit. They'd love to get a "Yankee's" take on Scouting. ;)

Safe travels back to Mrs. Qwazse and hoping we meet again.

• Upvote 1