Can wind up with gastric distress.

An adult planned a culinary surprise on a recent outing. All he would say was it would be made only from raw ingredients using a dutch oven. The rest of us focused elsewhere so as not to spoil his surprise. 

Well SURPRISE he didn't make it to lunch. He had abdominal pain and nausea. He mentioned he had coffee. a powerbar, and a few beans at breakfast. What beans?

Friday night, he emptied a bag of raw kidney beans into a dutch oven and added water to soak beans overnite. The next morning he sampled some beans  before adding more water and placing the oven on some coals. He skipped rinsing beans before soaking and draining and rinsing beans after soaking and before cooking.

So he ate raw beans, raw kidney beans, and learned the hard way that beans must be cooked before consuming! Here's a link to explain food poisoning caused by lectin in beans. Kidney beans are particularly bad. He was rather lucky.

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2014/02/05/hemagglutinin-and-food-poisoning-from-beans.htm

Beans are not the magical fruit that we sing praises. They need to be cooked. :o

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 2

So he ate raw beans, raw kidney beans, and learned the hard way that beans must be cooked before consuming! Here's a link to explain food poisoning caused by lectin in beans. Kidney beans are particularly bad. He was rather lucky.

I hope he's not the cooking MB instructor.

He clearly did not grow up in the South. Any self-respecting Southerner knows red beans and rice is cooked on Monday and you never, ever, ever eat raw beans!!!

• Upvote 2

It's nice to learn something new at someone else's expense. :confused: Because I don't know beans, thought I'd ask ...

... emptied a bag of raw kidney beans into a dutch oven and added water to soak beans overnite. ...

Anybody just cut the corner of the bag, fill will water and hang it or set in a small pot overnight?

Just trying to think of ways to light-weight/leave-no-trace this activity.

It's nice to learn something new at someone else's expense. :confused: Because I don't know beans, thought I'd ask ...

Anybody just cut the corner of the bag, fill will water and hang it or set in a small pot overnight?

Yep. Soak an hour (overnight is better), drain, rinse, soak TWICE, drain again, and BOIL  SLOW COOK the beans....preferably all day on a Monday. Make sure you add in andouille and a ham hock.  

Corrected this advice. ;)

Red beans should be slow cooked over low heat with these accouterments. Just sayin'. ;)

• Upvote 2

Yes - in my college backpacking class one of our assignments was to try to figure out ways to lighten the load.  One of the vegetarians in the class thought of cutting the corner off a bag of kidney beans and filling it with water to soak the beans.  She was thinking just like you.  It worked a treat as the Two Fat Ladies might say except it really worked a trick.  After 8 hours the beans had soaked up a lot of the water (they are dry beans - soaking in the water helps to rehydrate them).  The bag was bulging to near bursting and the beans were oozing out of the top - those that couldn't "escape" the bag were crushed by their neighboring beans - if you want mashed beans - this will work (unless the bag does actually burst - would hate to have to clean up that mess).

There is a solution though.  The problem is that the bag the beans come in is too small - so she tried again, this time transfering the beans in to a gallon ziploc - that actually did work well - plenty of room for the beans to expand in to.

• Upvote 1

Around here....Soaked over night in Cold water...Rinsed Twice and then Get slow Cooked with..Ham Hock/Salt pork, A Dash of Sea Salt, Coarse Ground Black Pepper, Spanish Paprika, A Dash of Chili Powder and Cumin, A Whole Large Diced Sweet Onion and a Healthy Heaping of fresh Sliced Jalapeno (seeds included) and some fresh Diced Garlic 

• Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...

This... sounds like an excellent way to rust out your cast iron dutch oven.

Kinda depends @@LVAllen 

If the guy was smart and using an aluminum Dutch oven he'd be okay.

If the guy was smart and had seasoned his cast iron Dutch oven with bees wax, he'd be okay.

If the guy was smart and had dumped the beans to soak in an oil seasoned Dutch oven, he'd have plenty of high protein beans with an extra high iron content to boot.  These are kidney beans so the gross color wouldn't be a factor.

Yes - in my college backpacking class one of our assignments was to try to figure out ways to lighten the load.  One of the vegetarians in the class thought of cutting the corner off a bag of kidney beans and filling it with water to soak the beans.  She was thinking just like you.  It worked a treat as the Two Fat Ladies might say except it really worked a trick.  After 8 hours the beans had soaked up a lot of the water (they are dry beans - soaking in the water helps to rehydrate them).  The bag was bulging to near bursting and the beans were oozing out of the top - those that couldn't "escape" the bag were crushed by their neighboring beans - if you want mashed beans - this will work (unless the bag does actually burst - would hate to have to clean up that mess).

There is a solution though.  The problem is that the bag the beans come in is too small - so she tried again, this time transfering the beans in to a gallon ziploc - that actually did work well - plenty of room for the beans to expand in to.

Isn't there a physics problem with your initial example?  If you ad water to the beans in a bag, unless you don't seal the bag there's no way the beans expand any bigger than the container.  The beans can only expand to the extent that they absorb the volume of water added.  They don't, I don't think, form crystalline structures like ice, and certainly cannot do that if the bag is sealed.

This story has actually bothered me for a couple days and I just couldn't put my finger on why until now.

I've never heard of seasoning cast iron with bees wax!

Works just as good as oil and NEVER GOES RANCID!  One can store the cast iron for years and it will always be ready to go.  I use it on my camping iron that will sit in the basement from one season to the next.  Heck, with bees wax, one can leave it outside in the elements all winter and it won't bother it,  Damp garage?  Basement?  No problem.

I use oil on my everyday cast iron.

With the Asian beetles, box elder beetles, the honey bee hum is quite relaxing and when one heats up the Dutch oven, it smells like heaven even before one puts any food in it.  :)

I've never heard of seasoning cast iron with bees wax!

I first heard of this last summer at Webelos Resident Camp.  The Camp Ranger is a Cast Iron collector, and teaches a Cast Iron Cooking class to the adults while the boys are working on their adventure pins.  He mentioned that he makes his own 'pucks' out of a mixture of beeswax and Crisco.  He said if you don't want to make them yourselves, you can buy the 'Crisbee puck' but warned that they are pricey (but do work quite well).  I haven't tried using this yet, but have a couple of pieces that I need to strip and reseason and might give this a try.