I saw this last week but since April 1st was Friday I thought maybe it was a hoax.  Apparently not.

Bubble-ball similar games have been banned.

My first thought is a dumbfounded wow.  I witnessed Bubble-ball at Winter Camp.  The Scouts had fun and they were running around.  The cushion provided by the bubble was ~2 ft thick.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let me be less subtle: No balls in Scouting.

What Scouting skills are learned by these?  Dodge ball Log rolling Zip lining Tug of war Tomahawk throwing Knife throwing Go karting Dirt boarding These are all great activities which have

I love all this total gibberish about risk management and bubble balls.   It is far less dangerous than fire building, axe usage,  food allergies, bees, bears, Dutch oven cooking, swimming, whitewat

For those who are not familiar with Bubble-ball, here's the video from their website.

When I first saw it played, I thought this is every first year Mom's dream.  Finally their Scout will be wrapped in a giant bubble before he interacts with others or the outdoors.

• Upvote 1

The indoor/sedentary folks are in now fully in charge; it will only get worse.

Pretty soon, all that will remain will be STEM and Reading MB.

STEM: measure the circumferance of a sphere in paces, from the inside! Estimate how far you could travel by rotating in a sphere. Determine the relative efficiency of traveling by propelling oneself from in a sphere across various liquid and solid surfaces. Develop and implement experiments to test these results.

STEM: measure the circumferance of a sphere in paces, from the inside! Estimate how far you could travel by rotating in a sphere. Determine the relative efficiency of traveling by propelling oneself from in a sphere across various liquid and solid surfaces. Develop and implement experiments to test these results.

Good point...but unfortunately the implementation phase will not include fun activities like bubble ball.   :)

Like fire building.  You can gather the tinder, kindling and wood, know all the dynamics of wind, but you can't light it on fire.  You can play all the bubble ball you want, you just can't get in it.

From the link:

"No one in a Scouting setting has been seriously injured in one of these to date, and we prefer to be proactive and cautious in our approach to this activity. Hence a multidiscipline task force comprised of program, marketing, development, legal, risk management, and health and safety professionals and volunteers has evaluated the risks of their use, reviewed their accident history, as well as the positions of various state and federal agencies on their use. This task force has come to the conclusion that the orbs (of any size) do not have a part in either the program or as an activity of the Boy Scouts of America or its affiliates."

These people have to be actually trying to ruin Scouting.  

Make what you will from the colored text sequences.

Edited by JoeBob
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

So what scouting skill, or any skill for that matter, was learned by running around in the latest fad?  Generations of Scouts have gotten along just fine without "bubbleball", I think this generation can get along without it as well.

I know, I know - "National is taking away the fun things again".  Cry me a river.  National has taken the time to actually evaluate this activity from a lot of different angles, and I'm sure that one of those angles is that if they were to approve it for regulation field play, sure enough there will be Scouters out there that will, because it's fun, start hauling these out on camping trips to keep the Scouts entertained and let them run around un-kept fields and roll down hills - I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to be there when some Scout is rolling down a hill and runs over something that punctures this ball and causes it to collapse around the Scout as if he's been wrapped like a mummy and not be able to get there in time to get the Scout out of it before he suffocates.  Oh - let me guess - "that'll never happen".  Maybe not on a regulation soccer field, but do you really want to be that Scoutmaster that has to tell a Scout's mom that her son died in a stupid accident like that?

Give us a good reason for it to be part of the program - and not just "well because it's fun" or "National is just being too cautious" - tell us how this enhances the program and maybe I'll come around - but for now, I support the BSA in this.  Yeah, there are some things that are ridiculous (a Webelos can't use a pointed shovel or a wheelbarrow?  Really BSA??) but on this, it's much better for them to get ahead of this rather than try to put the plug in the bottle when it becomes common in Scouts.  The BSA program is chock-full of activities that can be done - I find it very hard to believe that Scout Units can't find enough in the program to keep Scouts busy without having to do things that aren't part of Scouting.

• Downvote 1

So what scouting skill, or any skill for that matter, was learned by running around in the latest fad?

One of the Aims of Scouting is the development of physical, mental & emotional fitness.  Bubble-ball and it's like encourage Scouts in the development of physical fitness.

I'm imagining my boys collecting pampas grass to start weaving at this very moment!

What Scouting skills are learned by these? 

• Dodge ball
  • Log rolling
  • Zip lining
  • Tug of war
  • Tomahawk throwing
  • Knife throwing
  • Go karting
  • Dirt boarding

These are all great activities which have little or nothing to do with actual scout skills but they are AMAZINGLY FUN and why boys join scouts.

What other fun things are the adults and lawyers going to take away?

You can eat a Snickers in your tent at Philmont and get mauled by a bear (true story), but God forbid that you have fun rolling a human gerbil ball in to your friend in the water.

• Upvote 4

Given that this decision was made by the same group of folks that banned water guns, I guess it should come as no surprise.

Just waiting for some kid in STEM to get burned by a Bunsen burner or get some material in his eye before they shut down the baking soad volcano making.  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1