• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1903 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:13 AM

I too lament the lack of interest in the OA. Back in the day, it was indeed an honor to get in, heck to even be eligible.  I was excited to be on the ballot, and couldn't wait to get in.

While my excitement died down since when I got in, the OA chapter didn't do anything, years later, I did get very involved with the OA.

So some of it has to do with how active the chapter and/or lodge is.

But talking to my son prior to and after my troop's OA election in December, one in which he was on the ballot, he could care less if he got in or not. 

"Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!" William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt

#22 Krampus

Krampus

Side Kick to Nikolaus

• Members
  • 1870 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:16 AM

I'd like to think that 'back then' (when I turned down a request to a dance for very rainy and cold ordeal weekend) was not so far removed from now.
  :mellow:

I love camping. I love being outdoors. But if I were 15 and had the option to get my service hours close to home, play some PS4 on Friday night when I was done, take my girlfriend out Saturday night and still have time for some climbing on Sunday, I think I'd take that. The option is clearing brush 2.5 hours from home, in a sub-par council camp with lousy latrines and a total lack of camaraderie and atmosphere.

#23 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2859 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:36 AM

LOL Krampus, swinging an axe/machete is still good medicine for me!

PS.   But I don't recall being so darn sore afterwards....

The tools were better then.  That's it !

#24 desertrat77

desertrat77

• Members
  • 2249 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:15 PM

I love camping. I love being outdoors. But if I were 15 and had the option to get my service hours close to home, play some PS4 on Friday night when I was done, take my girlfriend out Saturday night and still have time for some climbing on Sunday, I think I'd take that. The option is clearing brush 2.5 hours from home, in a sub-par council camp with lousy latrines and a total lack of camaraderie and atmosphere.

I'm tracking re the girlfriend/date.   Priority 1 at that age!    In my case, I was in AK and though the camp was primitive, scouts and particularly OA members would show up to any event at camp, regardless of the weather or the work that awaited.   It was truly a unique place, and the camaraderie was second to none.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq