Photo
- - - - -

An early leaflet (1910-1911?) - anyone has seen the same one?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2840 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:48 PM

Between disinterest and myth, lots of work remains to get a clear history.  Old newspaper files are a great source.

#22 scoutldr

scoutldr

• Members
  • 4453 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:15 AM

David Scott has been a regular contributor here for many years.  We've missed him recently.

#23 Krampus

Krampus

Side Kick to Nikolaus

• Members
  • 1870 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:19 AM

Yes, that is Mr. David C. Scott. I have contacted him on his e-mail address (found  on his official web site), and he was so kind to reply me on my e-mail and to write his messege here, too.

I've read his last two. Good reads. The one quoted above I liked the best so far.

#24 Sentinel947

Sentinel947

• Moderators
  • 1563 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:50 AM

I've read his last two. Good reads. The one quoted above I liked the best so far.

Also the account that signed off as David Scott was registered on the forum in 1999.  :happy:

Edited by Sentinel947, 07 March 2016 - 07:50 AM.

#25 Miki101

Miki101

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:03 AM

I see that we have a debate going..yes that was me. I'm not writing anything currently but published a best-selling book on a century of BSA heroism last year for Michael S. Malone titled Running Toward Danger. It should be in your local Scout Shop as the National Supply Division is distributing it along with Amazon. Else, I'm off to hear Dr. Julie Seton (the granddaughter of Ernest Thompson Seton) at the national Scouting Museum.

David C. Scott

#26 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12165 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:47 PM

Most primates respond well to lab experiments when rewarded with trinkets and beads....

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#27 SSScout

SSScout

• Members
  • 3996 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:54 PM

If Mr. Scott sees this, tell Ms Seton that the Scouts of White Oak District in Maryland say hello, and thank you for the interesting talk!

#28 CalicoPenn

CalicoPenn

• Members
  • 3116 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:35 PM

So do we know exaclty what this is?

#29 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6502 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:17 AM

So do we know exaclty what this is?

Unless someone comes forward with another printing attached to at least a few more pages (or even the lowly binding), we may not ever know.

#30 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2840 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:27 PM

I have a 9 11/16 x 11/15/16 size, six page, folded and stapled on the left, promo piece for The American Boy Scouts ("Plays and Pastimes")[We would say "play" today rather than "plays.]  C.H.Lawrence '12

Wonder if yours is the same sort of thing.

#31 fleep

fleep

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:01 PM

I am afraid that I can do anything more... possibly, if could be helpful anyhow, I can make some bigger scans (in higher resolution)... will be glad even to send this card to the right address, if someone would like to investigate.

I just planned to frame it and place it on the wall with other prints / paintings / photos I have.

@ Tahawk... this could be easily some kind of promo piece... that is even more possible than this is some kind of notebook cover.. because any kind of handbook or instructions will have some title on the front cover. Also, from that time, even notebooks have had a title "Notebook" on the cover + usually some kind of reference number.

Is your promo piece also printed on the cardboard or on the ordinary paper?

#32 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2840 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:04 PM

All pages are paper about like the covers on old Life magazines.

C.H.Lawrence (of those days) was a well-established children's illustrator   http://childscapes.c...s/Lawrence.html

http://www.hangfireb.../si/023448.html

Edited by TAHAWK, 08 March 2016 - 05:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq