non uniform shorts for Philmont?

Okay, I've really done my best trying to make the official bsa uniform pants work for my scout.  Scoutstuff.com doesn't even have the classic cut in his size (men's small or medium.)!  The relaxed fit do not work, at all.

He's heading off to Philmont this summer.  Can a pair of non-uniform shorts work?  Anyone have a suggestion as to brand in a nylon?

Edited by AKdenldr

As long as, on the back pocket, you sew a leather patch branded, "Not official, but worth every penny," :p 

What will your position be while you're there? That may influence people's answers.

If your son is working Philmont, they issue a uniform I believe.

If he's on a trek, wear the BSA pants or knock offs traveling and in base camp only, then ditch them for lighterweight nylon zip offs of gym shorts. Pack lighter, hike smarter.

Okay, I've really done my best trying to make the official bsa uniform pants work for my scout.  Scoutstuff.com doesn't even have the classic cut in his size (men's small or medium.)!  The relaxed fit do not work, at all.

He's heading off to Philmont this summer.  Can a pair of non-uniform shorts work?  Anyone have a suggestion as to brand in a nylon?

Well, our guys have one pair of uniform shorts they bring for arrival day, pictures, etc. Uniform shirts and pants get stowed while on the trail. We weare crew shirts and other BSA (casual) gear on the trail. Once at Philmont you don't need to stay in BSA uniform. Our guys try to stay ultra-light, so there's not a whole lot of clothing changes on the trail. ;) If going over 7 days we arrange for a re-supply with Philmonth staff.

Our guys swear by the Magellan hiking, cargo and switchbacks. You can find a few pairs in olive green...pretty darn close to the BSA green.

It's been a while since I bought new shorts, but find a nearby Army/Navy Surplus store and compare their shorts with the BSA shorts. They used to be almost identical in color and appearance. 

Barry

Well, our guys have one pair of uniform shorts they bring for arrival day, pictures, etc. Uniform shirts and pants get stowed while on the trail. We weare crew shirts and other BSA (casual) gear on the trail. Once at Philmont you don't need to stay in BSA uniform. Our guys try to stay ultra-light, so there's not a whole lot of clothing changes on the trail. ;) If going over 7 days we arrange for a re-supply with Philmonth staff.

Our guys swear by the Magellan hiking, cargo and switchbacks. You can find a few pairs in olive green...pretty darn close to the BSA green.

At the day of my oldest son's EBOR, half of the District reps were in the Magellan switchbacks.  Most didn't even bother to take off the magellan tag :-)

• Upvote 1