Movies worth watching (with Scouts?)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 SSScout

SSScout

• Members
  • 3901 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:12 PM

I came back to the Scouter to look for movies to satisfy (1)   Satisfy Merit Badge Requirements  (American Heritage ,   Citizenship in Community,  Movie Making (no requirement to watch a movie?? )

(2)    Suitable for "lock in" or Cabin Camping viewing,   (3)  Just because there really are movies worth watching.   

Great list of  movies mentioning/about Scouting:   https://en.wikipedia...popular_culture

Boys Life list of 100 Boy Movies (I like the notation: "some suggestions will require parental guidance"):  http://boyslife.org/...ovies-for-boys/

Scouter dot com :  http://scouter.com/i...rican-heritage/

Did not see "The Martian" listed, or "The Life of Emile Zola"  or  " Lincoln"

Any more out there?  

#2 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

TTFN

• Moderators
  • 2219 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:18 PM

My scouts have liked

Ant-Man, Avengers,..

Interstellar

Little Boy - WW2 but homefront

The Giver - many had read the book

October Sky - I think this was PG while the above were PG-13 so have to check with parents.

#3 Cambridgeskip

Cambridgeskip

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 03:26 AM

On a 3 hour long coach ride we watched The Hunt for Red October, went down an absolute storm.

I've always thought The Burbs might go down well but did wonder if is is a bit dated for today's generation? (I have tears run down my face with laughter every time I watch it!)

#4 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 5997 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 06:47 AM

I haven't had the opportunity, but with the venturers I wanted to share "The Gods Must Be Crazy".

#5 Sentinel947

Sentinel947

• Moderators
  • 1468 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:43 AM

October Sky, Rudy, Pay it Forward. All good movies with good messages.

#6 Krampus

Krampus

Side Kick to Nikolaus

• Members
  • 1870 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:48 PM

On a challenge the scouts lost to the adults in a blind cooking competition at camp. The stake was selecting the first movie on the way back from summer camp. The entire bus complained when Casablanca started. By the time Sydney Greenstreet was shown in the Blue Parrot the bus was intently watching. After it was done they wanted to watch it again. Go figure.

#7 howarthe

howarthe

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 03:53 PM

The Martian is brand new, so its unlikely to appear on many lists yet, but i think it is really excellent.  It is rated PG-13 for language, but it has lots of really good examples of American heroism.  I just love it, and before the end, I felt like the United States really had sent astronauts to Mars. :-)

#8 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11356 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:17 PM

Films of the classics of literature that were identified by the BSA during the last century (Every Boy's Library) would do well.  The books themselves are far better than what Hollywood could ever produce, but I don't think one is going to get the boys to read anything.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#9 CalicoPenn

CalicoPenn

• Members
  • 3003 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:23 PM

My Side of the Mountain; Battleship; Godzilla (2014 AND 1954)

#10 SSScout

SSScout

• Members
  • 3901 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:00 PM

Attached File  WBCasablanca.png   182.91KB   0 downloads

#11 Krampus

Krampus

Side Kick to Nikolaus

• Members
  • 1870 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:44 AM

The Martian is brand new, so its unlikely to appear on many lists yet, but i think it is really excellent.  It is rated PG-13 for language, but it has lots of really good examples of American heroism.  I just love it, and before the end, I felt like the United States really had sent astronauts to Mars. :-)

Most films that have this issue (Raiders is one of them), you can edit out the bad stuff on your own and save them to digital for showing to Scouts.

We always pre-release our movie schedule just in case a mom has an issue. Had one parent who forbade her kids from watching Harry Potter (magic was a no no as being anti Christian), but some how Star Wars was okay (despite Anakin being immaculately conceived and the prolific use of the force/magic).

Edited by Krampus, 29 February 2016 - 06:47 AM.

#12 Sentinel947

Sentinel947

• Moderators
  • 1468 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:26 AM

Most films that have this issue (Raiders is one of them), you can edit out the bad stuff on your own and save them to digital for showing to Scouts.

We always pre-release our movie schedule just in case a mom has an issue. Had one parent who forbade her kids from watching Harry Potter (magic was a no no as being anti Christian), but some how Star Wars was okay (despite Anakin being immaculately conceived and the prolific use of the force/magic).

I'm not sure if Anakin was immaculately conceived, more like Lucas was bumbling through the script and forgot to mention a father and what happened to him.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sentinel947, 29 February 2016 - 07:26 AM.

#13 Krampus

Krampus

Side Kick to Nikolaus

• Members
  • 1870 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:02 AM

I'm not sure if Anakin was immaculately conceived, more like Lucas was bumbling through the script and forgot to mention a father and what happened to him.  :rolleyes:

Yeah, don't get me started on SW 1-3 or the last one. ;)

#14 Sentinel947

Sentinel947

• Moderators
  • 1468 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:00 AM

Yeah, don't get me started on SW 1-3 or the last one. ;)

Midi-Cholorians.... :p 

I was entertained with the 7th movie. Wasn't he best movie ever, but it was fun. 

I think part of the badge is to get them to watch movies they may not watch otherwise. 

In response to the OP: Another good one is "Remember the Titans."  A little more violent, (It technically has a PG rating,, but that was because the modern ratings weren't in place yet.) is "Glory."  

#15 Krampus

Krampus

Side Kick to Nikolaus

• Members
  • 1870 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:20 AM

Whatever movie you watch, might I recommend you PREVIEW the WHOLE movie for situational issues and language. Some of the most mundane movies you may want to watch might have the f-bomb, s-bomb or suggestive scene you won't want your 11-13 year olds seeing (e.g. Transformers). 

#16 Cambridgeskip

Cambridgeskip

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:51 AM

I wonder whether A Bridge Too Far might work? Rather long but does have quite a few lessons for scouts;

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

Keeping going against the odds

Keeping your sense of humour

Looking after your friends

Leading from the front

#17 JasonG172

JasonG172

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:48 AM

If not mentioned

GOONIES!

#18 SSScout

SSScout

• Members
  • 3901 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:04 PM

"Battleship"?   Ha!  When we visited Hawaii, Scoutson  was all over the Missouri.   When that waste of mylar came out,  he was quick to point out the problems/inconsistancies:  Aliens that can immobilize an entire battlegroup but can't land on land?  Destruction of everything?  They don't want slaves or "booty"?  Tactics by Cartesian coordinates?  He understood the EM pulse handicapping all the solid state stuff, but instantaneous re-upping a forty year old ship?  Using how many gallons of how old bunker oil? And where did they instantaneously get those 16" shells and cordite bags?  And the aliens waited while all this was  happening?  Nice to see all those old timers lauded as heroes again, and the boy gets the girl...

"Godzilla".   Absolutely, as entertainment,  but include at least the  American (if not the Japanese)  original with Raymond Burr.  Compare rationales. 

Double feature suggested:   "In the Shadow of the Moon" (Ron Howard details the Apollo missions by interviewing the astronauts) and '"Destination Moon"  (George Pal's animation/special effects were surprisingly accurate for the 1950's)

#19 CalicoPenn

CalicoPenn

• Members
  • 3003 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:41 PM

Ok, yes - instant re-commissioning of an old Battleship is a major gap in realty but we are talking about a movie titles Battleship in an era where we have no modern battleships so I let that one pass (and the scene where all the old salts are standing on various high points of the ship always causes the dust in the room to get in my eyes). 

But, I must overrule some objections.  It's entirely possible that an alien civilization may have large ships that are incapable of landing and operating on land - though they did have smaller craft that could - these aliens had special helmets to cut down on the light of the sun - one conclusion that could be drawn is that they come from a dark planet - but since they have specialized helmets that allow them to venture in to the sun, I would suggest that they might live either underground, or, since they have ships that move so well in water and can't land on land, that they live under water, where it would also be dark - a water based civilization would have large craft that operate in water with smaller landing craft for land based operations.

It's been a long established tradition in Science Fiction writing that there could be civilizations who invade and destroy everything without taking "booty" or slaves - I call your attention to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy where Earth is to be utterly destroyed to put in a new space highway.  This invasion was by a vanguard who lost their communications ship and was trying to re-establish contact with their fleet to bring down the real destruction - perhaps terraforming the planet to meet their needs or perhaps just to plunder some resources.  Maybe they were there for the booty but didn't have time to get it - and if they were going to terraform or just plunder, they might not have need for an "insignificant" species like ours for slaves.

And that insignificance could be the answer as to why the heroes could retrofit the Missouri - they have defeated us and we could be ignored.

As for the Cartesian coordinate tracking - what better way to try to track vessels that are invisible to more modern means of detection - it's yet another example in the movie of how the old-fashioned ways of doing things can still be useful - besides, it's a movie based on a classic board game that uses Cartesian tactics - I thought it was cleverly done.

But too each their own - you can show your boys The Sound of Music, Black Beauty, Babe, Mulan, Life is Beautiful or The Empire of the Sun if you want.

#20 Krampus

Krampus

Side Kick to Nikolaus

• Members
  • 1870 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:36 PM

Prisoner Zero will vacate the human residence or the human residence will be incinerated!

- The Atraxi

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq