Non-Uniform Pants, a new discussion

Since I first got started back in scouting as a scouter, I have always been strict on myself about wearing the official uniform as much as possible.... from the shirt down to the socks.

The only deviation I have made is my Tilley hat.

SO, I'm shopping for a pair of long pants.  I only have one pair, and they are the zip off convertible ones... IMHO they are horrible.

Like most things that are multifunction.... they are not good shorts and they are not good pants either.  the zipper falls right at a bad point on my knee.

Anyway, looking over at scoutstuff, the only non-dress uniform pants they have are zip offs!  Ugh!!

Now I'm considering getting a pair of those tactical style pants if I can get the right color.  

I hate to do it.... but they leave me no choice!

Any suggestions for a good pant that's a decent match for the uniform?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And let us sing praises of Smartwool-like socks.

As an Adult I wore the 5:11 Tacts also..Much better than the Official Pants...and unless you point it out 99% of the Scouters around you will never Know....The pants are close enough in color. I had a

I have a pair of uniform pants that I've been wearing 1/2 the time since 1992 when I got my first uniform.  In 1999 I got a second pair of long pants so I don't have to do the laundry as much.  In eit

I have a pair of uniform pants that I've been wearing 1/2 the time since 1992 when I got my first uniform.  In 1999 I got a second pair of long pants so I don't have to do the laundry as much.  In either case. both are still being worn and have only slight wear in them.

By slight wear, I mean a bit shiny in the seat, otherwise there is NO SCOUT EVENT that I'm not in full-uniform.  I have the same shirt from 1992 as well and I'll be wearing that to tonight's meeting as well.

I would suggest a pair of the old cargo pocket pants from off of E-bay.  

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 1

The scout-shop had some official canvas shorts. Best wearing piece of gear I've ever had from them. If they're still issued, I'd encourage any boy-scouter to get them.

With the variety of uniform socks that are available, I'm comfortable most seasons/events. These few weeks being the exception ... but I'm only venturing nowadays, so I've stopped worrying about it. My only problem: I'm now wishing they had standard issue grey canvas shorts!

Of course, if you're shy about those gambs, there are the convertible canvas pants. I'm just not a fan of breakaway clothing.

A few years back, I saw some green pants at Walmart that were 99% identical to the current Boy Scout pants. the 1% difference was that they were hemmed.

Like Stosh, I too am using pants and shorts from the 1990s still. I do have a pair of the original Switchbacks, the ones that were sized to large and had the zippers at the ankles.

Ebay is my friend, find oldr uniform items there. Also OA trading post at family camp had some old uniform items.

Why doesn't anyone complain about the "buffet buster" waistband? I know my waist size and would not have a problem buying pants that fit. The first time I tried them on I laughed; the only other time that I have seen anything like it is on a rented tux.

• Upvote 1

thanks for that tip on 511 pants.  looks like they have lots of good options.

a couple different green colors though.... tdu green, pine, tundra, and maybe another OD color.  Do you remember which one is the match?

Yes, that buffet buster waistband (love that term!) is funny.  I really don't like elastic pants, because I tend to take care of my stuff and keep it a long time.... elastic just doesn't last.  I've had to throw out a lot of clothes only because the elastic oxidized and was shot.  In fact, now that you mention it by scout switchbacks are sagging a bit, prob wont last much longer... 5 years now, so maybe 6 is all I'll get out of them.....

In fact, now that you mention it by scout switchbacks are sagging a bit, prob wont last much longer... 5 years now, so maybe 6 is all I'll get out of them.....

I have 5 pairs of them. 4 are the centennial switchbacks, 1 bought in the last two years. The latter is falling apart faster than the former. Decent pants though. All have lasted pretty well given I wear them every week or weekend for something, plus camp outs, summer camp, high adventure.

When you think about it, if you wear them often enough, try thinking about any other item of clothing you wear as often and that takes that much of a beating and is still in decent condition.

Olive Green 511 Tactical Pants.  I swear by them.  I wear the tan for work.  Never had a problem.

True story: The PLC approached me and said they were making jeans the official uniform pants. I did my usual questioning to guide them and ask them what their Handbook said about the official uniform. Well we kind of went round and around with my questions and their answers not quite hitting the mark. I never told them what they had to do or should do, I just asked the questions that guided them to the right and wrong of their proposals. Kind of a weird debate really.

They though about this for awhile came up with plans of how to get away for the BSA official pant. They approached me and made a proposal to use the OD BDUs that they could get for $21 at the surplus store. The color was spot on with the BSA pants, which made them hard to see a difference at a distance. However, the BDUs had the advantage of double fabric in the same the seat and knees like tactical pants, huge cargo pockets, and they were adjustable 4 sizes. That meant a new scout could grow into his pants for at least three years. They looked nice but were perfect for outdoor activities

Anyway, since the hang up was the word "Official", the PLC said they would propose their reasoning for switching to BDUs to the Council and ask that the BDUs be accepted as "official" at scouting events. I thought that was a great idea and a great practice of proposing change through an official channels as apposed to defiance. I did not think the council would agree. Low-and-Behold the council did agree and our troops new official uniform pants where the OD BDUs. 

The scouts liked the BDUs so much that many of them wore the pants to school. There was a shorts version of the BDUs that became common in our troop as well. Our troop used the BDUs for about 10 years until the BSA came out with the zip-offs. 

I still have a couple of pair of those BDUs in my closet next to my official BSA pants. LOL

Barry

@@Eagledad

My boys tried that approach a few years back with the non-uniform pants, too.  I just reminded them that when we have flag opening and closing and we "salute" the flag, that the boys wearing incomplete uniforms use the "hand over the heart" salute of a civilian and those in full-uniform use the Scout salute to show their respect for our country and veterans who fought and died for the Flag.  The subject was never brought up again.

Since I first got started back in scouting as a scouter, I have always been strict on myself about wearing the official uniform as much as possible.... from the shirt down to the socks.

The only deviation I have made is my Tilley hat.

SO, I'm shopping for a pair of long pants.  I only have one pair, and they are the zip off convertible ones... IMHO they are horrible.

Like most things that are multifunction.... they are not good shorts and they are not good pants either.  the zipper falls right at a bad point on my knee.

Anyway, looking over at scoutstuff, the only non-dress uniform pants they have are zip offs!  Ugh!!

Now I'm considering getting a pair of those tactical style pants if I can get the right color.  

I hate to do it.... but they leave me no choice!

Any suggestions for a good pant that's a decent match for the uniform?

Well, I like them, but then it may have to do with my proportions.  At one time, Magellan (Academy's house brand) had good zip-offs.  They might have a good pair of cargo pants. 

• Upvote 1