So you are approached or maybe ambushed by some District people, "Heh, our scouts need you to plan the fall/spring camporee."
You first thought is to politely say no with maybe an excuse of your preference - family, work, knee operation scheduled... But you reflect and consider if I'm in charge, we can finally get a camporee done right but first I need to make my conditions CLEAR to these micro-managing District-types.
What would your conditions be to accept?
- No one is selling anything at this camporee. I don't want to see OA selling candy/drinks (frequent) or girl scouts selling cookies (annoying).
- Focus more on fun/challenges for older scouts rather than simplified games at Weebs level.
- Yes to patrol competitions, no to merit badges.
- Our SPL suggested a "dress down camporee" similar to school. I'm not sure how that would work.
- Each unit is responsible for carrying health forms. We are not collecting them at event.
- oh, uniform police need to pre-register. Registration fee is $150 which includes official camporee uniform police cap with jurisdiction limited to your own unit.
Or other conditions? What would you require?
Around here, camporees are dumbing down into merit badge college and/or Webelo recruitment weekends. Older scouts attendance is down even with fast-track merit badges, though admittedly it is a draw for younger scouts. Troops attendance is down too. Let's get back to fun patrol competitions and set aside fundraising, merit badge mills, and recruitment.
Wonder why District hasn't called me back?
Edited by RememberSchiff, 02 February 2016 - 05:34 AM.