Have to ask why.

LOL you're not buying it because its a great product, you're helping a Boy go to camp

I don't buy popcorn.  I make a monetary donation directly to the unit.   The unit can spend the donation any way they wish, including summer camp. 

Additional benefits:   The unit gets 100 percent of my donation...no skimming to support bloated pro salaries and such.   Also, my non-purchase will not contribute to increased overall sales figures, thus lending a truer picture of just how lame popcorn really is.   And I'm relieved of the added chore of throwing the popcorn in the trash.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GS Cookies are $4.00 a box.  They taste good. BS popcorn has a higher buy-in, and tastes like flavored cardboard.

On our streets the first customer question when asked to buy popcorn is "How much?" often followed by "No way!"  Sell the camp angle all you want, few people are interested in plopping down $10 for 4

Peanut butter jars with the massive indentation at the bottom.

Getting back to the original thread for a second, one has to remember that the publicity being generated for the Girl Scouts is for the cookies, NOT THE PROGRAM.  I hear a lot of discussion here about BSA promoting the program and OMG, DON'T MENTION WE SELL LOUSY POPCORN.  If this is the case, aren't we trying to compare apples and oranges?

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.......

And, we abandoned the National Project of "Scouting for Food" in favor of "Good Turn for America"

That comes under the top 10 stupid loss of brand decisions ever made...

Our councils/districts still do SFF. However, it is so poorly managed our unit donates to our CO's food bank which is the second largest in Dallas.

Ian's right.  There's a long history of Girl Scout cookies as part of the American culture.  Boy Scouts, on the other hand, help old ladies across the street and they don't get paid for doing Good Turns.

This is part of it, Boy Scout popcorn had it's genesis somewhere in what the 80's or 90's?

GS Cookies are $4.00 a box.  They taste good.

BS popcorn has a higher buy-in, and tastes like flavored cardboard.

This!

LOL you're not buying it because its a great product, you're helping a Boy go to camp

On our streets the first customer question when asked to buy popcorn is "How much?" often followed by "No way!"  Sell the camp angle all you want, few people are interested in plopping down $10 for 4 ounces of bad caramel corn.

Just a thought - There is at least one, but likely multiple, copies of cookie order forms going around the offices of these media outlets and that has gotten the editor's to decide to make a story out of it.

How often do we see Boy Scout Popcorn order forms at offices?

I'd have been ostricized in my office if I brought in a popcorn order form.

At the risk of getting this thrown into I&P, Girl Scouts are more socially acceptable (PC) still than Boy Scouts.  

Things I have seen done:  * Local TV Weather person hosts Scouts working on Weather/ Meteorology MB.  

*  Lots of local papers/TV stations will do a report on your Cub Scout Day Camp.

*  Item in local press about Philmont/Jamboree/Northern Tier/Troop expedition on the AT  .   Depends on the paucity of other local news, and your ability and perseverance to get the interest across.   If it isn't interesting to you, it probably won't be interesting to them. .

*  service project to local homeless shelter/soup kitchen.

*  Replanting of trees, shrubs in damaged park area.  

At the risk of getting this thrown into I&P, Girl Scouts are more socially acceptable (PC) still than Boy Scouts.  

Depends on your state I guess. Here in the bastion of conservatism we don't chide anyone for bringing such things in to work. ;) 

On our streets the first customer question when asked to buy popcorn is "How much?" often followed by "No way!"  Sell the camp angle all you want, few people are interested in plopping down $10 for 4 ounces of bad caramel corn.

Whereas our local convenience store sells Christmas wreaths the same as the Boy Scouts for the same price, people do buy from the scouts instead.  On the other hand 4 oz of caramel corn for $10 (? I'll take your word on that :) ) the same convenience store sells pretty good stuff for 5 oz for $1.50.  The reason I know this is I just finished up a bag and wrapper is in my pocket.  :)

• Upvote 2

Been a while since I bought popcorn (our unit doesn't sell it). $25 for 22ozs of caramel corn?!?!?!?

I can get FIVE BOXES of GS cookies for that!!!!

No wonder our unit does not sell popcorn.

I don't buy popcorn.  I make a monetary donation directly to the unit.   The unit can spend the donation any way they wish, including summer camp. 

Additional benefits:   The unit gets 100 percent of my donation...no skimming to support bloated pro salaries and such.   Also, my non-purchase will not contribute to increased overall sales figures, thus lending a truer picture of just how lame popcorn really is.   And I'm relieved of the added chore of throwing the popcorn in the trash.

I understand that, and trust me we get those monetary donations as well.

And, we abandoned the National Project of "Scouting for Food" in favor of "Good Turn for America"

That comes under the top 10 stupid loss of brand decisions ever made...

Not at All.  Chickasaw Council still does scouting for food and we are very successful.

Depends on your state I guess. Here in the bastion of conservatism we don't chide anyone for bringing such things in to work. ;)

I sell popcorn at work while my son sells it in the Neighborhoods.  My form stays on my sales counter and I talk frequently about it.  I guess being southern and in I guess the "bible belt" helps because they see what a great program it is and gladly donate. 

We have been doing SFF ever since it began.  I was not aware it was not a National endeavor.  I can tell you that the drop off locations are truly appreciative every year.  Have fliers we will be handing out in neighborhoods very soon.