Introduction to the Patrol Method in less than a day

Agree there is nothing nebulous to this. That's why boys (at least the ones we admire) love it.

What is difficult is increasing the trust that the boys can do it. The only way I can think of overcoming this difficulty is presenting such boys to sceptical adults. (And, sometimes, to other skeptical boys.)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you everyone for your responses so far.   The reason I picked a thousand is not that I want all of them at once, I just want a way to replicate it. Ideally it would be to work with a patrol size

Coaching, guiding and mentoring are explained in several training courses and leaders handbooks. Spreading skepticism of the BSA program with parents (anybody really) only reflects badly on the skepti

Part of the issue is that the information is out there, but only if you're really willing to dig for it.    Our training methods shouldn't be targeting super scouters, but the average leader. It shou

We can train the boys until we are blue in the face, but if we never trust them, which is a major problem for adults in our society, we will never get to the third step.  If I am constantly coaching, guiding and mentoring, then I'm still on the first step. 

JoeBob, perhaps you could give an example (or several) of what is nebulous about the Patrol Method.

Nope, I'm not that invested in saving the 'Patrol Method'.  

If Tahawk has given 4 different answers to the question on the first page of discussion, it's probably quite clear.

If you have a patrol culture that is working, good.  Nurture it.  I've learned that it is very hard to ween boys from adult led to anything beyond lip service.  

After one 6 month cycle of holding PLs responsible for their troops, none of my older boys wanted to be elected to PL anymore.  Work was involved.  It was way too easy to ask the adults to take care of things, and just enjoy the trips.

Participation levels on trips are so erratic so that ad hoc patrols are required for meals and tenting.

If your patrols are age based (which is the choice the boys will make), the older boys don't teach anything to the younger boys.  If you mix the age groups, the older boys get bored and disappear.  

Boy led meetings are quite chaotic, and take adjustment.  I got tired of trying to explain that to rising parents and scouts.  I wasn't worried about the parents so much, but when the new scouts started to complain about not getting anything done in meetings, I had to wonder if it was worth it.

My boy led troop had three instances this past year of a patrol having no food on a multi-day trip.  Menus were made, duties assigned, and no one went to the store.  Now we have an adult check.

I keep trying, but the Koolaid is beginning to lose its flavor.  It may well be that our digitally dependent children do not want to be responsible for themselves. 

Edited by JoeBob

It ain't Koolaid so much as it is hearty broth. Won't taste great, takes longer to stir and cook, but carries you further.

Sounds like some boys need to learn to trust one another and themselves rather than their electronic devices.

Joe Bob, yours are among the PLs who I would love to have on my "dream team" panel. The other piece of the puzzle, if I had time to give it, would be reports from the non-scout adults (teachers, coaches, youth leaders) in your boys lives.

The audience needs to understand the good, the bad, and the ugly if they are to commit years of their lives to it for their boys.

You know, I haven't sold too many expensive things myself in my life ... a couple used cars and a house. But I learned that I could close the deal at the fair price I wanted if I was brutally honest about what ailed the merchandise, and if I was willing to patiently turn down low-ball offers.

I proposed to my girlfriend when she didn't have her makeup on. (We were snowed in, which is probably why I'm remembering it now.)

We're selling the world boys who will be inculcated with trustworthiness (among other things) by the time they reach adulthood. But the cost is a little hunger, failure, discouragement, and hard climbs from deep valleys along the way.

Coaching, guiding and mentoring are explained in several training courses and leaders handbooks. Spreading skepticism of the BSA program with parents (anybody really) only reflects badly on the skeptic because parents naturally trust a program that has existed successfully for over 100 years. The skeptic looses integrity and parents gain nothing.

Adults by nature are protective of their children. They act and react out of fear of the possibility of harm. We help adults help past their fears buy teaching why and how they don't need to be concerned. We educate them.

An instructor maintains integrity by teaching within the BSA program materials, not counter to them. Education should be adding color inside the lines drawn by the BSA. Add the details that help bring across the objectives trying to be taught without changing the broad instructions of the BSA material. The worst that can be said of the BSA on Patrol Method is they don't provide near enough guidance. So we actually have a lot of room to fill the gray area.

I was part of the most boy run patrol method method troop in Oklahoma. I was also a instructor, coordinator and training chairman in the various troop leader courses over the years and I never once had to run down or counter the BSA materials to teach patrol method, which I was pretty good at. We maintain our integrity by not trying to take away the BSAs integrity. We on this forum are better than that.

Barry

• Upvote 2
An instructor maintains integrity by teaching within the BSA program materials, not counter to them. Education should be adding color inside the lines drawn by the BSA. Add the details that help bring across the objectives trying to be taught without changing the broad instructions of the BSA material. The worst that can be said of the BSA on Patrol Method is they don't provide near enough guidance. So we actually have a lot of room to fill the gray area.

Barry

And, indeed, one can comprehensively teach the Patrol Method based solely on B.S.A.'s published words, primarily current B.S.A. statements. 

Bringing B.S.A.'s pronouncements on the Patrol Method together in a single presentation seems totally consistent with B.S.A. "other" training (Baden-Powell Institute; University of Scouting).  But do we "fill in" Scoutmaster Specific courses, where it is not even a learning objective that the participants know what the Patrol Method actually is?   Is bringing a coherent and complete explanation of the Patrol Method to Scoutmaster Specific training impermissibly expanding the "lines"?   

And what do we do when the training materials have errors per other, more authoritative B.S.A. materials and public materials?  For example, IOLS syllabus material on dish-washing was for many years contrary to the G2SS and other B.S.A. publications on health and safety, not to mention state health laws.   Some few IOLS course directors contended that the BSHB, errors and all, ruled over all else, including the G2SS.  They held we were honor-bound "not to confuse the boys" (as if  today's youth has problems with change).  Integrity?

I believe that B.S.A. should teach its program more efficiently and accurately, eliminating the frequent internal inconsistencies.  That would require change.

B.S.A. tells us change is inevitable (and I will be teaching that lesson again this Spring).

B.S.A. also says that advocacy for change is to be orderly.  Yet, B.S.A., after a brief "spring" of welcoming volunteer communication regarding training, is back to form brush-offs.   ("Thank you for your interest in Scouting. . . . ."[!!])   There is no apparent official method for "mere" volunteers to advocate changes in training materials - per Council, Area, Region, or National.  This situation can be endured, but it is unlikely to be appreciated.

• Upvote 1

Gee, JoeBob, I've never had the kinds of issues you face.  I hope I never have.  However, I have been in troops where the issues faced were very similar.  My first troop I was ASM and sounds very much like what you have.  Adult run.  Boys figure out that if they sit on their hands long enough, make grandiose mistakes and patiently wait them out, the adults will do the work.  It works when they deal with their parents, it works at church school and church youth programs, it works all over the place.  This is why we have 30 year olds still trying to play the game and frustrated, but enabling parents keeping the problem going.

I've been in the position when a patrol didn't do their shopping.  I knew about it when we left.  I didn't say anything.  Eventually the boys had to fess up.  I came over, sat down by the fire ring and waited them out.  They finally asked me when I was going to go get the food.  The answer was, "Never".  I don't think any had heard such a response from an adult before because they didn't know what to say next.  I just kept waiting.   There was a small convenience store about a half mile away I knew would be there before we left so I wasn't worried, but the boys were beginning to.  Of course the store wasn't the problem.  They also hadn't collected the money for the trip either.  This was the grouping up from the NSP.  Adults kept a eye on them and contributed to their training.  Once done with that they were allowed out of the nest. 

Needless to say, the boys dug in their pockets and scrounged up enough money to make it through the weekend.  It was only 4 meals and no one was going to starve to death in the meantime.  They worked out their problem and learned the adults meant what they said about boy-led.  I'm thinking the word got out because I never had an incident like that ever since.  Did it solve the problem for these boys?   No, they tried pushing the envelop on other issues and it never worked out well for them.  They finally gave up and got to work.   Boys will always push to get out of work.  The question that always ruins the process is having adults who feel it necessary and haven't the nerve to not enable their poor behavior.

Ad hoc patrols?  If only two of the eight go, the two end doing a lot of camp chores and don't have as much fun.  A couple outing like that and they start bugging their buddies about showing up otherwise they have been known to dump a few of the slackers and replace them with patrol members willing to help out.

JoeBob, you and I have agreed on a ton of this scouting stuff, but we're a few miles apart on this one.  The boys know that if they horse around long enough the adults will cave.  If you ever wish to try it again in the future, which I hope you do, you get all your adults on the same page and then make a pact that you'll "sponsor" each other when the temptation to give in comes along.

I got a bit of mileage out of an attempt I did with my adult-led troop as ASM.  I was given permission to form a patrol and work with it "as an experiment".  The boys called themselves the "honor patrol" which kinda ticked off the others, but they buckled down and really did a bang up job.  They actually did too well.  The SM stepped in and broke up the patrol and had this boys all take over PL's of the other patrols, and other troop POR's.  That's not what they wanted and within 6 months all but one of the boys was gone from the troop.   The SM justified his actions by letting everyone know that they were at the age of quitting anyway.

• Upvote 1

Thank you everyone for your responses so far.

The reason I picked a thousand is not that I want all of them at once, I just want a way to replicate it. Ideally it would be to work with a patrol size at a time.

Several of you said this is a hard problem, and I agree. Maybe that's why national can't figure it out either. Stosh, I suspect if this method were explained well it would also explain all the others (except for possibly uniform) as they all work together. And maybe that's a good point to make.

Several of you have said it's also difficult because too many scouts just want a patch. While I agree, my approach has always been that Eagle is bait and usually scouts will learn something along the way.

JoeBob, I like your idea of problem scenarios with embedded secret bad apples. One of the biggest issues scouts have is conflict. Many are so afraid of it they will get run over by anyone that just walks off. I was thinking of using the same training for the adults as the scouts. Don't they both need to understand the same issues?

Eagledad, I have no desire to counter anything the BSA has said, and in this case it's easy because they really haven't said much that's coherent.

Here's a first cut of the major ideas any training should focus on. A lot of this is from the PL handbook but it's boiled down and I also added some don't to help clarify some ideas. Using them to solve a set of typical problems the scouts run into would make this more hands on.

The Scout Oath and Law are central to everything and should be the lens to check every decision. Trust is hugely important. Scouts in a patrol must trust each other. The adults must trust the scouts to do the right thing and the scouts must trust the adults to back them. Trust is easily destroyed and takes a long time to make. Loyal, helpful, ...

A patrol is 6-8 scouts that deliver the promise of scouting to its members: What the scouts want, what the scouts need (growth and continued challenges) and what scouting wants (scouts learning to make good decisions).

A patrol owns its destiny. A patrol defines success, makes its own decisions, does its own work, and is responsible for its mistakes. Adults and other scouts may encourage them but it is the patrol's responsibility to deliver. There are well defined boundaries that the patrol should clearly understand.

A patrol requires:

-Teamwork: Look out for each other, nobody else will.

-Spirit: It makes Teamwork easier and more fun

-Direction, a calendar of events, problem solving. What do the scouts want? high adventure? Low adventure? advancement? new skills? service?

-Preparation: Do what you want rather than just think about it.

-Persistence: Problems happen, a good attitude will turn them into opportunities.

A patrol Leader: Ultimate responsibility is in your hands. A lot of this is what everyone in your patrol should be doing but you have to do a better job of it. Your scouts will look to you as an example.

-The patrol goes first. Care. Participate.

-Make things happen: delegate, keep everyone busy. Be Prepared. Have a backup. When your patrol flounders it's up to you to get them going again. Make a decision when needed.

-Ensure your patrol members are getting the promise of scouting. Find out what they want, work with them, develop them, help them advancement, give them leadership opportunities.

-Listen and watch: Pay attention to how things are going. Regularly ask how they are.

-Teach any skills that are needed

-Praise good deeds.

Interaction between patrols is limited to games, competition, and free time. The patrols must enforce this separation.

Interaction between a patrol and adults is more limited. Separation is critical. Don't solve their problems. Don't lead their scouts. Don't make their decisions. Set boundaries that are clear, simple, and static. Support them within these constraints. When they make mistakes, make sure they learn.

• Upvote 3

Part of the issue is that the information is out there, but only if you're really willing to dig for it. 

Our training methods shouldn't be targeting super scouters, but the average leader. It shouldn't assume that the average leader is going to continue to research how to be a Scoutmaster after they were told "you've met all the training requirements." 

Conducting a UOS would be a great way to fill this in, but it becomes just another weekend obligation that already busy leaders have to make time for. 

Ideally Unit Commissioners could fill this gap with guidance and coaching of units, but there aren't nearly enough of them, and their training is also scattered. 

I like MattR's summary above my post. I think it really breaks things down to the basics. However, theory is great, but I can say from my own work with my Troop, that taking an already established Troop to start using the patrol method is VERY difficult. It's worked in my Troop because the Scoutmaster and I were dedicated to the concept, had the right experience and training, and most importantly, it was a direction the Scouts wanted to go in. 

Sentinel947

Edited by Sentinel947
  • Upvote 2

Sorry folks, I've been busy all weekend. I did create and teach a Patrol Method course. It was a two hour course that was required for Scoutmasters of participants in our Council Junior Leader Training Course (today's NYLT). 

The syllabus started with a quick discussion of the Scout Law and Oath being the heart of the program. Then it went into the BSA Vision and Mission. I wanted the adults to know that there was a general purpose or goal objective to their program. The Mission and the Vision are the "purpose" in the game (reffering to the game with a purpose quote).That is very important because I wanted to work down to the importance of the 3 Aims and 8 Methods. This is where I draw the line between the adults' responsibilities and scouts' responsibilities. Specifically the adults are responsible for Fitness, Citizenship and Character while the Scouts' are responsible for the Eight Methods of Outdoors, Leadership Development, Ideals, Patrols, Advancement, Adult Association, and Uniform.

We discussed in some length how the adults are to use the 3 Aims as the tools for scouts growth instead of the Eight methods because the Eight Methods are each scouts responsibility of application for making decisions and growing from the decisions. 

Then I gave my interpretation of applications for each of Method, which I tied to the Scout Law and 3 Aims. Again, they didn't conflict with the BSA materials, they just enhanced the definitions more pointedly at scouts applications in the boy run patrol method setting.

I spent a little time explaining that adult resistance toward letting scouts have independence in the patrol setting is typically based from fear of harm and I gave some examples how to move past their fears to give the scouts more room for a safe place to make independent decisions. 

But the reason I think this course had as much affect as it did at the time was because the participants went immediately after the class to sit with their scout and discussion how they would work toward the scout's ticket items. We didn't really call them ticket items, we had another name that I can't remember.

This was the last day of the JLTC course and each scout participant had three to six ideas (ticket items) they created for improving their program based from their JLTC experiences that week. The JLTC course was a Boy Run course the council brought me in to experiment with. The course was designed where the participants organized, planned and manage the weeks agenda with the course staff standing back waiting for direction. So, the scouts had a week of a boy run type of structure and my objective was to encourage the SMs to allow and encourage their scouts make the changes they proposed and see how the changes worked in their troop. That made it easier for me to teach the Patrol Method Boy Run class and then have the adults apply what they learned.

Most of the resistance for giving scouts the independence in making decisions in the course came from the experienced Scoutmasters. They were also the most resistant to the Boy Run style JLTC course. But most of the challenges of how give the scouts more room came from the new leaders that just had a hard time seeing the safety side of it. Growth wasn't the hard sell, it was safety that most adults struggled with. That is why I spent some time in giving examples of how they could push out their fears and concerns. 

As I said before, patrol method is a situation where most leaders don't know what they don't know. I harp on visions and goals a lot because through my years of working with adults in moving to patrol method and boy run, they basically don't understand how making independent decisions advances a boy's growth. 90% of adult leaders think that setting up camp is a skill of character. I know it doesn't make sense, but they don't understand that its the decisions scouts make in setting up camp that develops citizenship, fitness and character, not the skills themselves. Most adult leaders think that the better a scout is with a skill, the better their character, so to speak. That is why I harped so hard on the Three Aims and linking the Aims to the Vision, Law and Oath. Not the Eight Methods. 

It's a tough change of view for the adults to understand that the more decisions a scout makes during the process of cooking gives a scout greater growth than the skill of preparing perfect eggs. Leadership is really tough because most adult think that the title of leadership instills the character scouting is known for. They struggle with the idea that the decisions made from the stress of taking care of the patrols is where real character comes from. Most of us adults want to protect our kids from that stress, so it is a hard change for us to understand that the more we lets scouts struggle in their decisions, the more they grow.

And interestingly, over the years of discussing and debating the challenges and virtues of the Eight Methods, the Uniform method is by far the most challenging for both the scouts and the adults. It's kind of funny, but I can show adults how to use each method toward scout growth in character, fitness and citizenship and get agreement from them except for the Uniform Method. It is the one method that is driven more by emotion than reasoning. That one just takes a while for adult to let go of their personal opinion of. And Boys, well it is an identity thing that 13 and 14 years olds struggle with. The other ages aren't really a problem, but change in body chemistry really makes a mess of our minds.

The course worked to some degree, I got more positive responses from that course than any other course I participated in. 

I don't know how much it helps on this discussion. The challenge of patrol method is helping adults feel good about letting scouts make dangerous decisions and living with them. Dangerous being that the scout will struggle with the decision and the results of the decision. But if those adults can be convienced that the good far out weighs the bad, then they are willing to give it a go. 

Barry

Edited by Eagledad
  • Upvote 1

interesting question.

Here is what i would start with to develop the idea....

I think the idea comes from a podcast or two over at scoutmastercg that pretty much cemented it all together for me pretty well when I first started to change my focus from pack to troop.

I don't recall now for sure which ones, but I think one was probably the old recorded interview of GBB, about the roots or origins of scouting.... something like that.

It struck me as simple really, and very "logical", once it clicked

when  the patrol was likened to a natural band of friends... a neighborhood gang if you will (not a gang in the modern sense of a bunch of of ne'er' do wells, but a group of friends.

Forget about scouting and patrols for a moment

Picture a natural group of friends 

They form naturally, in a school or around a neighborhood perhaps.  

Usually, but not always, they are similar ages or similar abilities.... but at least they all have a similar interest.  

The core group of friends will stick together for a long time, and form lifelong friendships

and they will have the most fun when they are doing what THEY want to do, not when following an adult's or anyone else's agenda.

Many times, gangs in the old days at least, would all have a good "team spirit", maybe with a common jacket or T-Shirt...

This group of friends might be mentored or guided along by perhaps a cool uncle, or a big brother.

They stick together and help each other along.

Everyone in the group pulls his own weight... has a responsibility, a job to do that helps the entire group.  The other members of the group give incentive and encouragement for each to pull his own weight

These group members learn helpfulness, responsibility, and so on...

Once in a while, they might have a competition of some sort against another gang from the same or nearby neighborhood.... maybe a ball game or whatever.

The members of this gang will really have fun once they realize that they are in control and can do what they want to do as a small group.

The boys really have an opportunity to learn leadership while having fun. really get to spread their wings in a lot of ways.

Now, the lifelong friendships won't form if the gang is constantly changing members

They won't even form that tight patrol spirit type of bond.

It's all very natural and logical, and is bound to work since it's what every boy wants to do naturally.

you get the idea.....

so the gang is the patrol

the common interest that they share is "the stuff that scouts do" (which by the way as BP suggests, is also a very natural thing for a boy to enjoy)

the big brother or cool uncle is the Scoutmaster

the other gangs that they play ball with are the other patrols in the troop

and so on...

• Upvote 1

Comments.  Please!

1. The patrol is the context within which the Scout primarily experiences Boy Scouting.  

2. A “patrol†is a small, largely self-selected  team of friends led by the leader they elect in carrying out Scouting program that they help plan

3. The Troop is the youth-led “league†in which patrol teams play the “game†of Boy Scouting beyond the single patrol.  The troop exists for the administrative convenience of patrols.

4. Adults insure that Scouts have a safe place in which to play the game of Scouting and act as leadership trainers, Scoutcraft trainers as required, resources, coaches, counselors, and mentors.  To the extent that adults lead, are leaders, they lead by example and through youth leaders.

Comments.  Please!

1. The patrol is the context within which the Scout primarily experiences Boy Scouting.

Yep, no problem with that statement.

2. A “patrol†is a small (6-8 boys), largely self-selected (I would go with entirely self-selected)  team of friends led by the leader they elect (or select in any way they choose) in carrying out Scouting program that they help plan (I'd go with more of a program that they plan.  Outside  "help" should be limited to keeping the planned program within the policies of the BSA and general safety.)

3. The Troop is the youth-led “league†in which patrol teams play the “game†of Boy Scouting beyond the single patrol.  The troop (Youth Leadership Corps) exists for the administrative (I'd go with more supportive wording rather than administrative wording) convenience of patrols.

4. Adults insure (I'd go with "Listen", "Encourage" and "Take an interest so) that Scouts have a safe place in which to play the game of Scouting (I would stop here and drop the rest because it all falls within the scope of what the boys should/could be doing for themselves) and act as leadership trainers, Scoutcraft trainers as required, resources, coaches, counselors, and mentors.  To the extent that adults lead, are leaders, they lead by example and through youth leaders.

Keep it in mind that a lot of what I have inserted depends on the level of boy-led in the troop.  If adults were to switch over to boy-led from adult-led, I'm thinking it would take at least a minimum of a year of serious intense effort on everyone's part of begin to get close to these ideals.  For example, it may take a whole year to develop an effective Leadership Corps of boys that will do the teaching, coaching, counseling and mentoring of others in support of the PL's work in the patrols.  It may take a little less time for an effective PLC to get organized and begin it's work of coordinating PL activities and directly supporting the work of the patrols.  Be assured that none of it is going to happen overnight.  Those troops with varying degree of boy-led already in place, should take less time accordingly.  Every unit will be different.

Edited by Stosh

Comments.  Please!

2. A “patrol†is a small, largely self-selected  team of friends led by the leader they elect in carrying out Scouting program that they help plan

3. The Troop is the youth-led “league†in which patrol teams play the “game†of Boy Scouting beyond the single patrol.  The troop exists for the administrative convenience of patrols.

4. Adults insure that Scouts have a safe place in which to play the game of Scouting and act as leadership trainers, Scoutcraft trainers as required, resources, coaches, counselors, and mentors.  To the extent that adults lead, are leaders, they lead by example and through youth leaders.

Keep it in mind that a lot of what I have inserted depends on the level of boy-led in the troop.  If adults were to switch over to boy-led from adult-led, I'm thinking it would take at least a minimum of a year of serious intense effort on everyone's part of begin to get close to these ideals.  For example, it may take a whole year to develop an effective Leadership Corps of boys that will do the teaching, coaching, counseling and mentoring of others in support of the PL's work in the patrols.  It may take a little less time for an effective PLC to get organized and begin it's work of coordinating PL activities and directly supporting the work of the patrols.  Be assured that none of it is going to happen overnight.  Those troops with varying degree of boy-led already in place, should take less time accordingly.  Every unit will be different.

I like this. 

And I think Part of this is not worrying about the short term results. There have been times over the last year where I've observed meetings and wondered if the chaos I've created with patrol method has been worth the stress on the Boys, myself and other adults. In the end, I'd say it's been worth it, even though our journey is far from over. 

While things aren't where I wish they were. While there are parents concerned over the chaos, at the end of the day, our measurable metrics are up (membership, attendance) and the intangibles, (older Scouts being more involved, more effective patrols, a stronger program (We're finally doing new events rather than recycling last years events!!!!!!)). 

It's scary to change things. But we gotta keep in mind what our goals are in Scouting. I think we're giving ourselves the best chance to achieve Scoutings goals if we use the Patrol Method. 

Sentinel947 

Thank you.

What do we do if no patrol wants "Billie"?  Can we not influence some patrol to give him a try?

I would now replace "help plan" with "collectively plan."

Since the purpose is, in part, teaching democracy - with its perils, what democratic system other than election fits?  Certainly, electing the "wrong PL" is a wonderful educational opportunity.

I believe adults are a resource for Scouts to use in planning or carrying out their plans.  If no Scout knows how to, for example, sharpen a knife (The BSHB is thin on all woods tools topics and the Internet is full of good AND bad information.), I do not see an adult teaching the PL how to sharpen as destructive of Boy Scouting.  And neither did Bill, to invoke ancient authority.  In teaching, the adult can set a good example.  That is not to say that expecting Scouts to figure things out for themselves is unreasonable, even when they fail.

A troop is more than a leadership corps of Scouts and adds more to a group of patrols.  Scouts, for example, cannot sign-up for summer camp should the PLC decided to go to summer camp, rent canoes for an expedition, open a bank account, charter a unit, or (usually) arrange for product X to be purchased for resale.   I use 'administrative" since most "patrols" today exist for the administrative convenience of the adult-run troop.  

Having said that, you do not need a literal troop at all.  Call a patrol a "troop."  Adults can "help" within the bounds of the Patrol Method with no actual troop. (Cross unit lines for competition and cross-pollination as was commonly done in the early days.)  BSA had separately registered "Neighborhood Patrols" for decades.  Many 'troops" today are adult-run patrols.

The duty to insure safety is non-deligable.  Youth act as a "force multiplier," but adults have the responsibility.  It has never been the practice or the rule that adults "encourage," for example, Scouts to stop knife-fighting or bullying.

As for waiting a year, I am totally against waiting past the introduction to leadership course that you and the SPL put on (if there is an SPL).  The first requirement for using the Patrol method is to use it.  If we lay aside the "well-oiled machine" there is no reason to wait until we are ready for Boy Scouting.   Kids in small groups go out every day and do stuff. Typically, there is a leader.  Start slow.  It will be simple at first.  It will be messy - just as if kids were in charge.  You will probably have to do more standing in a corner chatting with the PL about "How are things going?"  You might have to offer more of a menu from which they chose, but as long as they are truly choosing and clearly have the right to add to the menu, that is still OK I think. (My first SM called this avoiding "giving a menu of death, a broken arm, or ice-cream.")

Edited by TAHAWK
  • Upvote 1