Introduction to the Patrol Method in less than a day

How would you teach the patrol method in less than a day to a thousand people?

We know how poorly the patrol method is implemented. We know that the BSA does a lousy job explaining it. The same goes for districts and councils. Consequently, that leaves it to the volunteers.

The target audience is a parent with a new scout. He knows there's something wrong with his troop. He is time poor (so no wading through arguments on this website). He likes the outdoors and appreciates what scouts can do for his son. His only experience with boy scouts is cub scouts. He wants succinct, useful information.

All the simple ideas have failed. As wise as GBB was, his writings ramble. The book Working the Patrol Method also rambles. On the other end of the spectrum it has to be more than a handful of phrases. While a good memory tool, phrases alone are too open to interpretation and too much is lost.

It has to be tight and it has to easily reach hundreds of people. It could be a syllabus for a day long course in the woods, podcasts, a short book, or maybe even a website.

It needs to describe how to transform a troop to patrol method. It should include a way to gauge how well the patrol method is working in a troop. It should clearly explain red flags that indicate the patrol method is in trouble or ways adults and scouts can catch themselves from doing something wrong. It should include common problems that prevent the patrol method from taking hold, and several ways to get around them.

Who knows, a good idea could help a lot of boys.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you everyone for your responses so far.   The reason I picked a thousand is not that I want all of them at once, I just want a way to replicate it. Ideally it would be to work with a patrol size

Coaching, guiding and mentoring are explained in several training courses and leaders handbooks. Spreading skepticism of the BSA program with parents (anybody really) only reflects badly on the skepti

Part of the issue is that the information is out there, but only if you're really willing to dig for it.    Our training methods shouldn't be targeting super scouters, but the average leader. It shou

I don't think it's possible. I think the best way is to learn about the patrol method is to live it. Even IOLS doesn't fully give you the experience since you are not making menus, etc.

I liked how my old troop did it. Adults in a separate campsite and they had assigned duties and responsibilities to keep them out of the youth's hair.

• Upvote 1

Wow, that's a tough one.

I guess as a part of the curriculum I would incorporate an overview (without getting too philosophical or boring, about the patrol being a microcosm of society small enough so that fledgling leaders have an opportunity to put into practice development of those personal skills they will need once they reach adulthood.  A break down of processes would include opportunity for leadership selection, succession, etc.; management task and group organization skill development, team building development, responsibility development and conflict management skills.  An emphasis of this happening in a safe environment separated from the distractions of modern societal contexts of home, church and schools (and other adults :) ).  

That's a start.....

I don't think it's possible. I think the best way is to learn about the patrol method is to live it. Even IOLS doesn't fully give you the experience since you are not making menus, etc.

Teaching the Patrol Method is not an objective of IOLS.  Worse, it's not an objective of Scoutmaster Specific Training to completely explain "Scouting's most important method"  if one believes the syllabus  -- just some aspects of it.

We might try making it a training objective that each trainee learn what the Patrol Method is, and then write syllabus material to match.  [Just one thing B.S.A. could do if the Patrol Method (AKA "Boy Scouting") were important to B.S.A..]

Edited by TAHAWK

Patrols 

Ideals 

Outdoor Programs 

Advancement 

Associations with Adults 

Personal Growth 

Leadership Development 

Uniform

If one were to stop and think about ANY of the methods of scouting it would leave oneself scratching their head. 

This thread is trying to understand the Patrol Method.  Why isn't that very clear?

Ideals Method - Ever hear anyone talk about this one?

Outdoor Programs - and yet there are troops out there that don't camp.  How's that possible?

Advancement - I wonder where the term pencil whipping requirements, MB Days (obviously one of the many "outdoor programs") and Eagle Mills come from. 

Association with adults - can't even find much common ground on this one other than 2-deep LEADERSHIP. 

Personal growth - how is this any different than the advancement method?

Leadership Development - using management techniques for organizational excellence.....

Uniforms - not even required to own one and bits and pieces are okay.  But if you're going to Jambo or make Eagle you're gonna need some scout pants...maybe socks, too.

Other than a possible listing off the cuff at some training session somewhere, how much focus has BSA done to develop any of these methods in the trained personnel they have to run their organization?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm thinking a whole day seminar on the principles of the Patrol Method is but a finger in the dike situation for modern American Scouting.

Wouldn't the simple answer be to start with the building blocks of the patrol, the leadership roles, roles of the patrol members and then bring it together with a few patrol-based activities designed to show that one person doing something is less-effective than the patrol working together?

I know I am over-simplifying but that would seem like a start, no?

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't the simple answer be to start with the building blocks of the patrol, the leadership roles, roles of the patrol members and then bring it together with a few patrol-based activities designed to show that one person doing something is less-effective than the patrol working together?

I know I am over-simplifying but that would seem like a start, no?

How does this fit in with the current method of adult-led, troop-method as the best, most effective way to run the scout program.  Best leaders are the adults and the multiple hands of the whole troop are more effective than a few led by an inexperienced youth. 

I'm thinking that until the concept that Boy Scouts is a means of fast tracking the military, college applications and job resume references, the boy-led, patrol-method concept will be lip-service at best in the majority of units.  One has to buck the system and be old-fashioned to stick with any 100+ year old ideals for modern youth.  People today aren't interested in character development and leadership skills as much as they are self-improvement and financial success for oneself. 

Edited by Stosh

Here is an imperfect summary:

AIMS AND METHODS OF SCOUTING

You may recall that the Scouting program has three aims or purposes:

character development;

citizenship training;

and physical and mental fitness.

We aim to produce good people who are good citizens and who are fit in mind and body.

METHODS

Advancement

Ideals

Patrols - peer groups; elected representation; activities

Outdoors

Adult association

Personal Growth

Leadership Development

Uniform

"You may recall that the Scouting program has three aims or purposes: character development, citizenship training, and physical and mental fitness. What makes Boy Scouting unique is that it has eight methods it uses to achieve those aims. Those eight methods define Boy Scouting and show how it is different from other programs.

Ideals—The ideals of Boy Scouting are spelled out in the Scout Oath, the Scout Law, the Scout motto, and the Scout slogan. The Boy Scout measures himself against these ideals and continually tries to improve.

Patrol Method—Patrols are small groups of Scouts who camp together, cook together, play together, and learn together. Patrols are where Scouts learn citizenship at the most basic level. They also take on responsibilities within the patrol, and learn teamwork and leadership. Patrols sort of look like Cub Scout dens, but there is one big difference: Patrols elect their own leaders, and through these patrol leaders, Scouts have a voice in deciding what activities the troop will put on its calendar. Patrols are one component of what we call youth-run, or youth-led, troop.

Outdoor Programs—Boy Scouting is designed to take place outdoors. We camp. We hike. We get dirty. We get up close and personal with bugs and spiders. There's no way around it. Our program is largely built around outdoor activities. So, expect to have more laundry after a campout and to hear some interesting stories about wild things.

Advancement—Boy Scouting has a system of ranks in which Scouts learn progressively more difficult skills and take on progressively greater responsibilities. The highest of these ranks is Eagle Scout. Becoming an Eagle Scout is an important achievement that your son can be proud of his entire life. But turning out Eagle Scouts is not what the Boy Scouting program is all about. Advancement is probably the most visible of the Boy Scouting methods, and the easiest to understand, but it is only one of eight methods. We strongly encourage advancement, but we never force it—advancement is the Scout's choice, and he sets his own pace. We don't do "lock-step" advancement. And many great Scouts, and great men, never became Eagle Scouts.

Associations With Adults—Boys learn a great deal by watching how adults conduct themselves. Scout leaders can be positive role models for the members of the troop. In many cases, a Scoutmaster, a merit badge counselor, or one of the troop parents who is willing to listen to boys, encourage them, and take a sincere interest in them can make a profound difference in their lives. Adult association is also part of what we call a youth-led troop. Adults understand that their role is to create a safe place where boys can learn and grow and explore and play and take on responsibilities—and fail, and get up and try again. If you were involved with Cub Scouting, this is a very different role that can take some time getting used to.

Personal Growth—As Boy Scouts plan their activities and progress toward their goals, they experience personal growth. The Good Turn concept is a major part of the personal growth method of Boy Scouting. Boys grow as they participate in community service projects and do Good Turns for others. Probably no device is as successful in developing a basis for personal growth as the daily Good Turn. The religious emblems program also is a large part of the personal growth method. Frequent personal conferences with his Scoutmaster help each Boy Scout to determine his growth toward Scouting's aims.

Leadership Development—The Boy Scout program encourages boys to learn and practice leadership skills. Every Boy Scout has the opportunity to lead in some way, whether as part of a team, or as the leader of his patrol or as the senior patrol leader of the troop. Leadership development is another component of the youth-led troop.

Uniform—Like most sports teams, Boy Scouts wear a uniform. Like most sports teams, we expect our Scouts to wear the uniform when they are doing Scouting, and to wear it properly. It is a symbol of who we are and what we do.

SOURCE            Orientation for New Boy Scout Parents       http://www.scouting.org/Training/Adult/Supplemental/OrientationforNewBoyScoutParents.aspx       

"Imperfect"?   Whoever wrote this says, "Patrols are one component of what we call youth-run, or youth-led, troop."  That's backwards.  The youth-led troop is one component of the Patrol method."

Edited by TAHAWK
  • Upvote 1

How does this fit in with the current method of adult-led, troop-method as the best, most effective way to run the scout program.  Best leaders are the adults and the multiple hands of the whole troop are more effective than a few led by an inexperienced youth. 

I'm thinking that until the concept that Boy Scouts is a means of fast tracking the military, college applications and job resume references, the boy-led, patrol-method concept will be lip-service at best in the majority of units.  One has to buck the system and be old-fashioned to stick with any 100+ year old ideals for modern youth.  People today aren't interested in character development and leadership skills as much as they are self-improvement and financial success for oneself. 

I refuse to acknowledge it as being "the most effective way." Our goals are leadership and character development. We do that through the patrol method, and the boys leading themselves, under the careful guidance of adult leaders. Even advancement itself is a means to an end. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I always feel obligated to push back against that notion, even though you aren't advocating for it. 

In my experience there are units that are using the PM, those who try to use the PM, those who want to use the PM (but fail for various reasons), and those who don't think the PM is worthwhile or don't use it. Again, in my experience, those that fall in the latter category are fewer than those in the other categories.

You're right, the training for the youth and adults around the PM is worthless. Were it better you'd likely have more use of it.

I refuse to acknowledge it as being "the most effective way." Our goals are leadership and character development. We do that through the patrol method, and the boys leading themselves, under the careful guidance of adult leaders. Even advancement itself is a means to an end. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I always feel obligated to push back against that notion, even though you aren't advocating for it. 

:) I wasn't speaking from my perspective, I was trying to give the impression of how I think parents view the operation of the troop.  As compared by parents (adult standards) a unit where the "leader" doesn't do anything but drink coffee and the boys have the run of the place, it's not going appear to be efficiently run.  They are comparing it to the end product where they don't realize youth-led is a work in progress, not the end product.  That's where I think the big disconnect happens from an outsider's point of view.

:excl: Where are you getting this 1K crowd of newbie parents in a day? :excl:

I guess if I were to start anywhere, it would be with the Good Book. Numbers 13 - about Moses commissioning a 12 scout patrol of Canaan. The immediate results (aside from one massive cluster of grapes) weren't all that great. But the long-term impact on Joshua and Caleb's leadership skills changed their nation from hapless Bedouins to an invasion force.

I then might describe Baden Powell's reliance on patrols of soldiers (himself included) to scout enemy defenses for the Royal Army in Africa. About how his memoirs of scouting out the land captured the hearts and minds of British youth ... resulting in him starting the worldwide movement we know today.

I would then turn the meeting over to some youth who were former (or maybe current but seasoned) patrol leaders. Each would describe each scout in his patrol - probably anonymously given the size of the crowd - by age and rank, and talk about what their skills are. He would then describe his patrol's favorite activity, least favorite activity, and what they hope to do in upcoming months.

I would then have a panel discussion with some questions like:

• When your troop camps, how far away does your patrol set up from the others?
  • How are adults helpful to your patrol?
  • How do they get in the way? (I might make sure their unit leaders aren't in the audience for that one.)
  • What was it like for you when you first joined your troop?

Then, as time allows, I would take questions from the audience. (Maybe have them divide up into groups of 8-12 and decide among themselves what one question needs to be asked.)

Finally, close encouraging folks to have the same vision for their boys, and watching how the boys grow as a result.

The format might change, but I can't see how anything I say about the PM will motivate folks any better than what boys will say about the best and worst of their own patrols.

The difficulty in answering your simple request has exposed the weakness in the patrol method.  It's too complicated, nebulous and lofty for mere boys to understand.  Or adults.

You have to be (have been) immersed in a patrol situation to appreciate the dynamics.  So I'd put your 1000 students into some patrol situations, and have them solve problems/challenges while rotating jobs between each challenge.  Divide into patrols of 12 to 15 that will spend the whole day together. Challenges can be things like:

1- Stacking chairs to a certain height;

2- Picking a patrol name and yell;

3- Teaching all patrol members to tie a square knot;

4- Conduct a flag ceremony;

5- Create and play a game that uses a Scout Skill;

6- Follow a land-nav map through the building; or

7- Complete an obstacle course that is age appropriate for your audience (Crawl over chairs and under tables while always holding your buddy's hand.)

8- Go to lunch.

9- Prepare gear for a trip;

10- Clean and check in gear returning from a trip.

etc.

No person can repeat a job, PL, APL, etc.  Start with the basics, PL, APL, and secretary/historian (to document challenge completions, etc.)  Add a QM when the challenge requires gear.

Have all the jobs pre-assigned, so it moves quickly.  For the last challenge of the day, the patrol elects their own leaders.

Secretly introduce adverse elements to the challenges as they progress.  ie: During Challenge 4, you can have one player who plays the part of a trouble-maker who recruits others to help him thwart the patrol objective.  Have a player be lazy and not participate.  Hold a PLC to decide punishment/corrective action.  Have a bullying scenario.  Have a whole patrol revolt...

Your core objectives should be to teach that

Effective patrols have a leadership structure;

Good followers are what make any leader a good leader;

Being a good leader is work, and that effort deserves support; 

Delegation is not a dirty word, unless you don't follow up;

Leading by example is the most effective;

Co-operation is always the best way.

You may need a 'facilitator' for each group or each challenge to nudge the lesson in the direction that you want it go; and keep things on schedule.

Sounds kinda fun.  Can I come?

Edited by JoeBob