New Tent wanted

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Cambridgeskip

Cambridgeskip

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:38 AM

So my trusty Vango Hydra has finally bitten the dust after 12 years of sterling service. It's now leaking like a sieve and no amount of reproofing seems to be stopping it. To be fair I have persistently thrashed it in that time.

So I'm after something new. I'd happily buy another one but it's no longer made!

I'm looking for recommendations for a two man tent. I'm most concerned with robustness and staying dry than space and comfort although a large porch area would be a bonus. Hoping to come in at less than £250 ($375 ish I think).

here in the UK I normally head towards Vango when looking at tents but just wondering if you chaps have any other brands I might not be aware of?

Any thoughts?

#2 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6836 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:47 AM

The Eureka series has served our family well.
But then again, so have hardware store tarps and para chord. Of which you can buy quite a lot for the price of a retail tent.

#3 Stosh

Stosh

• Members
  • 12459 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:06 AM

My old 3 man Kelty has seen some rough service and does well.  My brand new 4 man Kelty is luxury.  Qwazes' correct in that old fashioned canvas or nylon tarps do just fine.  I'm 65 years old and still sleep a lot under real canvas

#4 Krampus

Krampus

Side Kick to Nikolaus

• Members
  • 1870 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:03 AM

Too bad you can't get REI in the UK. They have some great, lightweight tents.

Big Agnes, Marmot and Kelty are constantly at the top of gear reviews. Backpacking review here, Gearlab here.

#5 Stosh

Stosh

• Members
  • 12459 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:29 AM

Why can't he get REI in the UK?  It might cost a bit for shipping, but it might be worth it in the long run.

#6 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1990 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:31 AM

ALPS Mountaineer has a discount program via hikerdirect.com . Don't  know how much the shipping would be, but the MYSTIQUE 2 is $113.06 which is approx. 86 pounds.

"Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!" William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt

#7 Stosh

Stosh

• Members
  • 12459 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:52 AM

ALPS Mountaineer has a discount program via hikerdirect.com . Don't  know how much the shipping would be, but the MYSTIQUE 2 is $113.06 which is approx. 86 pounds.

OMG! @Eagle94-A1 who in the world would want to drag a 86 pound tent around on a camping trip!?!?  Shipping for that circus tent would be more than the cost of the tent!

#8 Krampus

Krampus

Side Kick to Nikolaus

• Members
  • 1870 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:03 AM

Why can't he get REI in the UK?  It might cost a bit for shipping, but it might be worth it in the long run.

I was talking about having an REI store in the UK. You could always ship, but then you need to pay ~$50 for that which you could apply toward a better tent. However, I suspect since everything is more expensive in the UK that $50 in shipping may be worth it.

Those are good, rugged tents. Our unit has used them for at least 15 years. Imagine surviving 10-12 camp outs a year, being used by boys who (at times) may not be the best at keeping gear proper. ;) That's a good tent. ;)

#9 Sentinel947

Sentinel947

• Moderators
  • 1628 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:04 PM

Stosh. Pounds... Like the British currency. Not lbs.

#10 Stosh

Stosh

• Members
  • 12459 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:36 PM

Really? I wudda thunk them there Brits would know how to  £  on their keyboards.  ;)

If they were Yanks they could always # on the keyboard if they wanted to make themselves understood.  

They haven't been doing well with English either, can't make out half the words when they talk funny like that.

By the way: "Pound symbol £ is a currency sign used in UK. It derives from a capital "L", representing libra, the basic unit of weight in the Roman Empire." so you can see why a fella would be misled.

Edited by Stosh, 15 January 2016 - 02:41 PM.

#11 Eagle94-A1

Eagle94-A1

Been there. Done that.

• Members
  • 1990 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:42 PM

OMG! @Eagle94-A1 who in the world would want to drag a 86 pound tent around on a camping trip!?!?  Shipping for that circus tent would be more than the cost of the tent!

ROTFL

And I don't know how to do the pound sterling symbol. And i though  using # people would think weight.

I love me some ALPS.  But  I've been on a USGI surplus kick of late as that is way cheaper, even with the hiker direct program.

"Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!" William "Green Bar Bill" Hillcourt

#12 Stosh

Stosh

• Members
  • 12459 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:02 PM

:) I didn't either I had to google it, then cut and paste.  It was just too funny to let pass.

#13 Torchwood

Torchwood

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:35 PM

+1 on the ALPS stuff through HikerDirect!!!

#14 blw2

blw2

Troop Treasurer

• Members
  • 2019 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:53 PM

I like my REI quarter dome, fairly lightweight and airy

although it's fairly new so not sure about durability.

I like it a lot better than the old Kelty it replaced.... not that Kelty is bad in any way..... just a feature thing.

But I'm guessing in the UK you're not likely to be as interested as I am in ventilation, probably more so in continued rain protection....

#15 JustThinking

JustThinking

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:59 PM

Nearly every state in the US has a Surplus Property Program.  Scout troops can get military surplus tents, sleeping bags, and all types of gear for next to nothing.  Stuff like this for $20 or so:

http://www.ebay.com/...O0AAOSw5dNWks91

http://www.ebay.com/...qkAAOxy0x1TRFYn

#16 blw2

blw2

Troop Treasurer

• Members
  • 2019 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:24 AM

this is off topic I know

But I have wondered about these military issue tents.  I just can't imagine that these little things see much use.

It seems that when the military needs a quick shelter behind the lines, they have all sorts of things, form those big inflatable hanger type things, to prefab buildings and such

but for a soldier up closer to the line on the move, would they really pack a little tent along with them?

#17 Cambridgeskip

Cambridgeskip

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:11 PM

Really? I wudda thunk them there Brits would know how to  £  on their keyboards.  ;)

If they were Yanks they could always # on the keyboard if they wanted to make themselves understood.  

They haven't been doing well with English either, can't make out half the words when they talk funny like that.

By the way: "Pound symbol £ is a currency sign used in UK. It derives from a capital "L", representing libra, the basic unit of weight in the Roman Empire." so you can see why a fella would be misled.

There's also the fact that "pound" as in currency derives from "pound" as in weight. The first coins to circulate in what would eventually become the UK were whatever the maker wanted them to be. Then eventually some king or another, I forget who, took a pound (weight) of silver and divided it into 20 pieces that he called shillings. That's why the UK pound is also referred to as "pound sterling" because it derives from sterling silver.

#18 Cambridgeskip

Cambridgeskip

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:11 PM

Cheers for the pointers, I shall have a rummage round for reviews etc.

#19 CalicoPenn

CalicoPenn

• Members
  • 3175 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:22 AM

Skip - maybe this is a radical idea but given how much you liked your Vango tent, a brand not really seen much over on this side of the pond, have you considered giving Vango a call and asking them what their new equivalent to the Hydra is?   Seems to me that if they've discontinued the Hydra, there is a good chance they did so because they have a replacement out there for it that was just different enough that they decided to rename it - I know that North Face and Kelty will often make improvements on their tents that may not be really obvious to us but that they think is significant enough to require a name change.

#20 Eagledad

Eagledad

• Members
  • 6054 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:11 PM

Figure out what you want in a tent, then go from there. We use two styles of tents in our troop, car camping and backpacking. The scouts usually bring personal single or two man tents if they want to use a backing tent, as do the adults. The car camping tent hold four scouts. And consider the typical weather you will use the tent. Oklahoma is one of the windiest states in the US. Dome style tents usually hold up better in wind for us. But we typically have treks in the mountains where afternoon showers are common.

Lots of choices these days.

Barry

"Experience is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first, then the lesson."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users