Do most leaders have their Webelos dens come up with a name and pick a patch?

My pack has not been doing this, but as Cubmaster I have encouraged the Webelos and Arrow of Light dens to do so (they have not and it's not a put my foot down issue). I see it being valuable because it keeps Cub Scouts from getting stale for the older boys and gives a taste of taking leadership on a task. Of course, picking a den name isn't the only element for keeping Cub Scouts interesting and not monotonous for the older boys and it isn't the only time they get to take point.

Anyway, do most packs have the Webelos pick a den name and patch? I presume that the word patrol is not used as they are still a den. I am also a den leader of our Bear den and plan to have the boys do this as soon as they crossover.

The other leaders not using this option has been a lot like the denner concept. My den is the only one that has denners. I recommend, but don't push.

Edited by MattHiggins

Our Pack's Weblos dens never did.

If I see the current WDL's, I'll ask.

There was a period when our troop re-organized patrols, and they would sound off as patrol #1, #2, etc ... and I would comment, "Den's have numbers. Patrols have names!"

I think you have the right strategy, Let your Bears lead by example when they move up. If the boys are enthused by it, keep it up. If you find it to be a net negative, drop it. Then pass on what you've learned to the next DL.

When I was a WDL, I didn't push it, not a hill I wanted to die on.  I don't know of any in our area that do.  Our packs tend to be small and the boys are refered to as the Tiger Den, Wolf Den, Bear Den, Webelos 1 Den and Webelos 2 Den.  Not very creative, but everyone knows what you're talking about.  :)

Do most leaders have their Webelos dens come up with a name and pick a patch?

My pack has not been doing this, but as Cubmaster I have encouraged the Webelos and Arrow of Light dens to do so (they have not and it's not a put my foot down issue). I see it being valuable because it keeps Cub Scouts from getting stale for the older boys and gives a taste of taking leadership on a task. Of course, picking a den name isn't the only element for keeping Cub Scouts interesting and not monotonous for the older boys and it isn't the only time they get to take point.

Anyway, do most packs have the Webelos pick a den name and patch? I presume that the word patrol is not used as they are still a den. I am also a den leader of our Bear den and plan to have the boys do this as soon as they crossover.

The other leaders not using this option has been a lot like the denner concept. My den is the only one that has denners. I recommend, but don't push.

I don't see the point. I would rather that WDL's instill other things in their Webelos--like advancement without parents, independent thinking, and working together.  

I don't see the point. I would rather that WDL's instill other things in their Webelos--like advancement without parents, independent thinking, and working together.  

Which is how I have my Webelos Dens setup, very little to no parent involvement.  Matter of fact NONE of my boys parents are going on the Pack campout this weekend.  I have me and my assistant (then the pack) I don't need no stinking parents getting in my way lol. 

we never did

but I have seen WEBELOS form other units with patrol emblems... but I never knew if they were doing this, or if it was a hand-me-down shirt from a big brother and they were just too lazy to remove the patch only to resew it after they cross...

& I'd guess it would make more sense with a pack of multiple dens of the same rank

I do think though, that if we had done a better job of forming a patrol with the den, it might have been something the boys could get a few minutes of enjoyment brainstorming a good name over a meeting or two.  Can't really say it would serve much of a purpose beyond that.... EXCEPT that it would have fit in nicely to something I tried to do.  i wanted to get better "team spirit" and so I hoped to get the dens to do den flags or perhaps some form of totem, line up and come into the pack meeting in groups carrying their flags, to have their own den yells, and to take pride in their table at the pack meeting by displaying something that they have worked on during the month when appropriate.  I didn't try very hard on this, not a hill to die on with what was going on, and of course I failed.

On a unit level, we did and do like Stosh.... although something I tried diligently to do was change the nomenclature from WEBELOS One or WEBELOS TWO to something that seems a bit more correct in the use of the english language and more descriptive in terms of what they are... "First Year WEBELOS" and "Second year WEBELOS" (tried by setting an example, not by some formal mandate).  They are only WEBELOS after all, and the whole numbering thing is only to further identify the groups)  Needless to say, I failed in that attempt too.

This wouldn't replace instilling other elements. Like a lot of the program, it's but one link in the chain.

In my opinion, there are multiple reasons to consider doing it:

> I like to see the program change as kids get older simply so they don't bored. This is probably my primary motivation. It makes Webelos different. Cub Scouts is boring by year four or five if only the requirements change. The risk, in my opinion, is that the subtle increases in complexity are lost on the boys and every year kind of seems the same.

> It prepares them, in a small way, for the Boy Scout patrol concept

> As was pointed out, it builds team spirit

> As was also pointed out, it's fun for them

> It's something you can let them completely take the lead on--again builds towards Boy Scouts

I had my den look at all the options on patchtown to pick the Patrol name.  We did this on a patrol campout and they worked together to pick the name, make a patrol flag, and come up with a yell.

Later we got shirts, they loved that they picked out the name.  Just retain the right to veto the name.  Some of the names are just not good.

..... It makes Webelos different. Cub Scouts is boring by year four or five if only the requirements change. The risk, in my opinion, is that the subtle increases in complexity are lost on the boys and every year kind of seems the same.....

I agree!

I had my den look at all the options on patchtown to pick the Patrol name.  We did this on a patrol campout and they worked together to pick the name, make a patrol flag, and come up with a yell.

Later we got shirts, they loved that they picked out the name.  Just retain the right to veto the name.  Some of the names are just not good.

Ha Ha.  This is one of my fears.  I'm pretty sure the troop my son is going to does the new scout patrol thing.

So his friend that will be joining the same patrol has, well let's say "tacky taste" and a bad sense of humor.  They were joking around the other day about patrol names & he was coming up with some doozies.  and he's he kind of kid that will sort of take charge.

and above all that, the SM is pretty good I think about letting the boys do what they want to do.... so it will likely float as long as it's not seriously bad language or such... ugh  I pulled my son aside later, and encouraged him to stand up and give his input in the decision too, don't just let your friend cram it through....

I'm a Webelos leader. I had fully planned to do this at the beginning of our year. It fell through the cracks with everything else we've done. We've been 'Den 9' since we started as Tigers (you get to vote on a number in our pack when you start out as Tigers and carry it on throughout the years) but no patch. I briefly explained what patrols were to our group but we never got back to it. No one else in our Pack does this that I'm aware of. I've pushed limited parental involvement this year, almost everything has been scout led with some assistance from me of course (we're only lacking on adventure from ranking up in February.) This...well, maybe as AOLs.

• Upvote 1

I had my guys split into 2 patrols this year and let them come up with names and patrol mates.  Also let them vote on whether they wanted patrol patches or webelos colors - they voted for patches.  Been trying since last year to let them be more involved in deciding what we do.  I hope it makes the transition a little easier, but it was also to keep it a little more interesting.  Also, it allowed me to break them up at meetings, and made games/activities easier as there were natural teams.  I think it's important to make sure each patrol has enough active kids - but that's another thread that I'm sure I have seen on here!

I told both the den leaders and their scouts for our Webelos 1 and Arrow of light dens that they could come up with a den name. We would get them patches etc and it was never pursued by them. My youngest is a Webelos 1 we are planning on taking their den camping towards the end of the school year. I will probably attempt one more time. My older boy was put into a new scout patrol and they really struggled to find a name. I think of the Webelos years as prep for Boy Scouts in every aspect. I would hope that by coming up with a name as a cub it would be easier to come up with a name as a Boy Scout.