Photo
- - - - -

2015's best compliment(s) from a youth ...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6501 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:06 AM

Happy New Year!

I thought it would be fun for us scouters to reflect on last year by relaying the best thing some youth said about each of us. I'm not necessarily talking about some speech at an awards ceremony ... but an out-of-the-mouths-of-babes one-liner that pretty much sums it up for you:

Mine came via a note at the tail end of the year from the family we had taken canoeing two days earlier. They were hiking and their dad told them to stay on the path.

One of my great-nieces replied, "If we were with Uncle @Qwazse, he would take us off the path to show us things!" :wub:

The shoe fits. I'm wearing it. :rolleyes:

Edited by qwazse, 01 January 2016 - 09:07 AM.

#2 SSScout

SSScout

• Members
  • 3996 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:29 AM

At the first  PLC of the season.   The SM has suggested some stuff to do, but no one is jumping in to decide.... The SM keeps saying , "What do YOU want to do, Randy?"   The new SPL  gets wide eyed and finally says , "you mean I can DO that?".

The Troop had a very good year after that.  

#3 Troop185

Troop185

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:17 AM

One of my jobs is as a Webelos Coach.  I do not do Den Meeting, but I do invite the Webelos to join me on some camping trips every year; and do joint activities (camping and field trips) with the troop.  One of my favorite Webelos told his parents this Fall, he would quit scouts if it was not for Mr. Troop 185 trips!

#4 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Erinaceomorpha Erinaceidae Member

• Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:09 PM

"We've got this Mr. Hedgehog" - SPL, frequently

"It was AWESOME" - New crossover after his mom asked him about his first campout

"IT'S MR. HEDGEHOG!!!" - Several senior scouts screaming with joy at my arrival at summer camp midweek

"That was the longest hike I've ever done" - A first year after six miles

"I can't believe I made it." - A 12 year old after backpacking 50 miles

"Leadership is a lot of work" - My son after his first campout as APL

"We need to work together more as patrols." - Several boys during stop, start and continue after our last campout

#5 KenD500

KenD500

Oh Great Bearded One

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:01 AM

"I get what Memorial Day is about now" - a 1st year Scout to his Mom after a Memorial Day event/camp out

"Mr D., we're ready to go" - PL to me as the Patrol walks past the adult camp site to the swimming hole.  We (the adults) weren't; I had to play catch up.

"Grandpa would be proud of me" - a 1st year Scout to his Dad during pickup after a flag retirement ceremony the night before.

#6 perdidochas

perdidochas

• Members
  • 2184 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:42 AM

My best compliment from a youth this year was to get an Eagle mentor pin from one of my former Tiger Cubs.  I was his Tiger Cub Den Leader, his Webelos Den leader, and a MBC and Assistant Scoutmaster. 

#7 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12161 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:50 AM

"I want to be a Boy Scout in your troop when I get old enough!" - said to me by a 2nd grade younger sister of a Webelos boy crossing over.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq