Merit Badge Sashes ... Who qualifies to wear one?

Go to solution Solved by scoutldr,

This comment from @@John-in-KC caught my attention:

"... Frankly, I'd be more concerned uniforms fit, that uniforms are uniform (S-E wear MB sashes, Scout-FC don't, no OA sashes (or OA sashes), ad infinitum... Make sure the kids show off to folks who normally don't see them (or who do, and don't know they're Scouts). ..."

I like my scouts to look sharp. But try to balance that with only informing them of BSA regs and encouraging them to take pride in their accomplishments. So, I would never prevent a first class or lower rank from sporting his MB sash. Does anyone else make this distinction?

My understanding was that any scout could wear a merit badge sash. We have a lot of boys who take four years to earn First Class, so they've earned a lot of MBs in the meantime. I'd like such a boy to proudly display what he's earned.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only rule I can find from the BSA on merit badge sashes is that they can only be worn by Boy Scouts and Venturers earning advancement.   There are no rules saying that can only be worn by Scouts

That's because BSA has over-blinged stuff these days. Back in the day there were no or few knots, no mentor pins, no adult patrol patches, no JTE patches, no world crest rings, no jambo patches from 1

Or a belt sash.

The only rule I can find from the BSA on merit badge sashes is that they can only be worn by Boy Scouts and Venturers earning advancement.

There are no rules saying that can only be worn by Scouts Star rank and higher.  There are no rules saying they can only be worn after a Scout earns 6 merit badges.  What's really interesting is that there is no rule that says a Scout must have earned any merit badges in order to wear the merit badge sash.  The rule states earning advancement - not earning merit badges.  Obviously, common sense would indicate that a Scout shouldn't wear a merit badge sash without at lease one merit badge on it, but there is no rule against it.

So given the rule that merit badge sashes can only be worn by Boy Scouts and Venturers earning advancement, here's how I would interpret it:

Any Boy Scout from the time they join until they are 18 years of age can wear the Merit Badge Sash - regardless of number of merit badges earned or regardless of rank earned (because I assume that if your're a Scout, your earning advancement, even if at a glacial pace).  I would certainly allow a new scout to wear a new, "empty", merit badge sash if they wanted (though I suspect peer pressure would keep them from doing so).  Once a Scout turns 18, they stop wearing the sash - I'm going to suggest an exception beyond the rules (because I do that from time to time) - I would make an exception for the Eagle Scout having their court of honor after they turn 18 - I'm certainly not going to insist that they can't wear their merit badge sash to the ceremony.

Any Venturer up to age 21 can wear the merit badge sash, provided they are working on earning Venturing awards (the policy doesn't restrict to Boy Scout advancement - it restricts to advancement, and Venturers have their own advacements that can be earned up to age 21.  That being said, I doubt there would be many Venturers that would wear the merit badge sash after age 18 anyway.

• Upvote 1

The back of the sash can be used for camp patches and past ranks if they like too. IF a scout has

long-aleeve shirt, he can wear up to six on the right sleeve above the cuff. In the day, when most kids had long-sleeve shirts, we almost all wore them there to start.

• Downvote 1

The back of the sash can be used for camp patches and past ranks if they like too. IF a scout has

long-aleeve shirt, he can wear up to six on the right sleeve above the cuff. In the day, when most kids had long-sleeve shirts, we almost all wore them there to start.

My troop, stressing troop, growing up had a policy of anyone with 7 or more MBs could wear a sash. I think it came from the long sleeve shirt policy. HOWEVER none of us ever wore long sleeve shirts. :confused:

Otherwise ANYONE can wear a MB sash.

Let me be clear.  The rules are exactly what you said.

In the original post, I was trying to show off the youth to people who don't understand our Aims and Methods, in a ceremony where they are visible to these very folks.  Once the ceremony is over, I expect they'll re-enter the sanctuary and sit down with Mom and Dad.  Then, it's not a matter.

This is selling Scouting and the Troop to others, not working "within the family."

Edited by John-in-KC

So, I would never prevent a first class or lower rank from sporting his MB sash. Does anyone else make this distinction?

Been involved with many troops over the years.  Never heard that one.  Usually sometime before or after the scout earns his first badge, he acquires a sash.  IMHO, I'd like the troop to present the sash to the scout with his first merit badge.  Only reason we don't is cost.  Personally, I think it would be a nice way to encourage earning more merit badges.

• Upvote 1

The idea is that the Scout may wear his Merit Badge Sash over his shoulder, NOT folded over his belt.... 

I have a hard time convincing folks about the right thinking of that.

Then to, I had a Scout with some ADHD issues (his dad too) that carefully sewed (himself!) all the MBs on his sash so as to wear it over the LEFT shoulder...

Buy the long sash to start with, hem it up temporarily for shorter fellows until they grow into it.   Wear it proudly whenever the uni is appropriate.

Keep the OA sash at home until you are doing OA service, then pin it to your left shoulder to keep it up.  DO NOT wear both sashes together,

YiS,

• Upvote 1

.... I was trying to show off the youth to people who don't understand our Aims and Methods, in a ceremony where they are visible to these very folks. ...

This is selling Scouting and the Troop to others, not working "within the family."

Thanks for clarifying, @@John-in-KC. I leave it up to the boys to look sharp. And they generally do not bring their sashes to Scout Sunday. I'm not sure that anyone in our CO thinks less of them for that. So, it would never cross my mind to do things one way or the other.

The idea is that the Scout may wear his Merit Badge Sash over his shoulder, NOT folded over his belt....

I have a hard time convincing folks about the right thinking of that.

@@SSScout, You say belt, I say sash rack. ;)

How much do you all require boys to wear their MB sashes. We actually tend not to bother except for Eagle courts of honor.

Edited by qwazse

In my old troop, book, necker, slide AND sash were given at cross-over.  In my current troop, book, slide are given at cross-over, necker is troop owned by given to use, and sash is given at attaining scout rank.  My boys are encouraged to put their rank badges on the back of their sashes in that it speeds up the process of getting the current rank on the shirt.