girl scouts boy scouts opinions

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:59 PM

You and I both know from the I&P forums that there are many here, and in BOY scouting in general, that would subscribe to that philosophy if they could.

I prefer the concept of have an expert teach me so I can also be an expert (gender aside); the Girl scouts seem to prefer the "Proof"/example that women/girls can do it, when they teach the girls.

The irony that GSUSA is so overly accepting of anyone OTHER THAN heterosexual males when it comes to helping with their organization, makes their whole "acceptance" philosophy rather transparent, political and discriminatory. But when that affects a group they (GSUSA) feel are "privileged" then I guess it's okay. :rolleyes:

It just happens to be how many groups throughout antiquity have justified discrimination against people they don't like. So I'd rather they be honest about it than masquerade as some sort of enlightened group...when they're really not.

#22 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11746 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:31 PM

There's a rule among these people that they are not allowed to look in any mirror.  It's not that they won't reflect an image, it's because of the image that will reflect.  Every time I meet people like this it always reminds me of a certain ruler's recently purchased wardrobe.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#23 Ankylus

Ankylus

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

Stumbled across this today and thought some of our girl scouting friends might be interested. A first step in sharing program and resources:

http://www.summitbsa...rl-scout-style/

#24 blw2

blw2

Troop Treasurer

• Members
  • 1918 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:04 AM

..... I prefer the concept of have an expert teach me so I can also be an expert (gender aside); the Girl scouts seem to prefer the "Proof"/example that women/girls can do it, when they teach the girls.

YES, I really do feel like the focus is more on showing that girls can do it.

and that's not all bad, but it's not all together altruistic either....

Since I posted earlier in this old thread, my youngest is now a daisy scout and my wife the assistant troop leader.  It really is a huge disconnect that my two daughters have to be in a different troop.  They have different weekends at the same camp, etc...  

and I'm still left with this feeling that while I'm spending this time with my son, it seems like I'm avoiding spending time with them.  I hope they understand the truth....I think they do.

and on another related note,

in the book I recently finished, "Rocks in my Backpack"

there were some very interesting stories about how this scoutmaster's troop back in the 1970's did a lot of joint high adventure stuff with a GS troop.  Seems like it was a big hit for a number of years until it was kiboshed by a "concerned adult"

#25 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6219 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:08 AM

FYI the article is about the 1st GS/USA jamboree at BSR. Girl scouts have been having jamborees elsewhere for quite some time. Our most active GS mom in our community went to one in her youth.

What hasn't happened, I think, is a trickle-down from Jamboree participants to troops. And this may have to do with age-based structure. Boy scout comes home and tells 7 grades of youth in one troop about what he did at Jambo. Girl Scout comes home and talks about it to her troop, and maybe her sister's, so only a couple of grades of youth share in her recollections.

Edited by qwazse, 13 April 2017 - 10:12 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: girl scouts, boy scouts, opinions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq