Lanterns - Thoughts On Least Worst Options

We only use lanterns on one campout a year, klondike. On most campouts, about the time it gets dark the scouts are in bed or at a campfire so the patrols never need them. The adults use one for playing farkle, but headlights work well.

Part of the reason we got away from them is they are fragile. The led ones sound nice, but at this point I don't want more gear in the trailer so I will quietly forget your good idea.

Our troop gradually changed away from using lanterns when we went to a back packing troop. We weren't trying to make point, save fuel or anything, lanterns was just one less thing to carry. And the experience showed us that we don't need light very often except for sometimes for detail task like preparing food or something. Anyway I think the first time we realized how much Difference it made was during camporee where all the other troops had enough light for To light up a football field. Of course we also stuck out because our camp didn't have big ol patrol boxes or elaborate kitchen set ups. Kind of funny, some troops thought we were a poor troop that couldn't afford equipment. Others didn't realize we were one of the bigger troops there because our camp site doesn't stand out so much without a lot of gear.

Each patrol still has lanterns, Dutch ovens, axes, shovels, big Colemen stoves and other gear we collected over the years that they use occasionally when the need arrives. But the scouts (not so much the adults) are pretty minimalistic. I remember a guide at Philmont was surprised by how fast we set up and broke down our camp sites. I told him that camping out of a backpack is a normal day for the troop. we just aren't used to bears in Oklahoma.

Barry

This is an ideal by my way of thinking... how it should be most of the time.  Seems to me camping in general is more fun when you keep it simple.  I've been thinking this for some time that the backpacking style setup should be more of the norm if it were up to me.... or at least a minimal set up as if you were maybe canoeing it.... even when plop tailgate camping.   Unless some odd situation arose where you might want a big cooker along or something like that.  It would generally give better experience in preparation for real backpacking or adventure trips...

Regarding the refill idea....

aside from the character issue that @@Stosh brings up.

I remember reading some time a go over on an rv forum some folks talking about doing this for grilles and lanterns.  If I remember correctly, a lot of folks have problems with these things leaking after a refill.  Apparently the newer cylinders aren't up to the same quality taht they used to be.

regarding a lantern.... for what its worth, I was just looking over at scoutmastercg a while ago, he has some christmas shopping lists posted..  One of the items was his prefered lantern, a ray-o-vac led unit.... for what that's worth.  (I still don't like them)

41KN8VPEH3L._SY355_.jpg@@Hedgehog we replaced ours with something more heavy duty. Saved us from buying globes all the time.

Is that the Northstar lantern?  It looks like the one I linked to in my original post.

I've got nothing but the duel fuel items. 

That's where I was leaning due to lack of tanks and batteries to throw away.  My concern was that the boys would need supervision to fill and light them and that would require them to come over to the adult campsite to ask one of us to go over to their campsite to supervise.

We only use lanterns on one campout a year, klondike. On most campouts, about the time it gets dark the scouts are in bed or at a campfire so the patrols never need them. The adults use one for playing farkle, but headlights work well.

Part of the reason we got away from them is they are fragile. The led ones sound nice, but at this point I don't want more gear in the trailer so I will quietly forget your good idea.

We tend to arrive at a lot of our campsites in the dark and to do a lot of cooking and clean-up in the dark (we camp year-round).  We haven't had any broken glass, but we go through a lot of mantles.

Our troop gradually changed away from using lanterns when we went to a back packing troop. 

Our outdoor program is varied -- backpacking, canoeing, base camping (or stop and plop camping if you'd like).  What we bring depends on what we are doing.  When we do backcountry trips, the boys cook individually or in groups of two -- so everybody brings their own stove and own light.  For base camping, we do patrol style cooking and bring patrol boxes (large plastic totes), dutch ovens, Coleman two-burner stoves and lanterns.

I'll have to try a couple of the LED lanterns we have to see if they would be sufficient.  I don't think we can do without for cooking, eating and clean-up -- it's hard enough for the boys in daylight!

I also found this which solves the refilling problem (and would help with the propane for cooking): http://www.propane-refill.com/products/refillable-propane-cylinders

I also found this which solves the refilling problem (and would help with the propane for cooking): http://www.propane-refill.com/products/refillable-propane-cylinders

One can read all they want on the marketing of the refill adapters and the refillable bottles, but the only literature that counts is the federal law that says all propane canisters of any size must be refilled, by weight (if under #200 tank) by a trained and certified technician in order for it to be transported anywhere.  So, technically, yes you can refill the tank, you just can't transport it anywhere per federal law.

Then again, ever wonder why campers and mobilehomes always have the propane tanks on the OUTSIDE of the unit?  What does that say about all the scout troops with 2-3 #20 tanks INSIDE their troop trailers?

Edited by Stosh

One can read all they want on the marketing of the refill adapters and the refillable bottles, but the only literature that counts is the federal law that says all propane canisters of any size must be refilled, by weight (if under #200 tank) by a trained and certified technician in order for it to be transported anywhere.  So, technically, yes you can refill the tank, you just can't transport it anywhere per federal law.

Stosh - 

I wasn't thinking of refilling them myself - I tend to be quite attached to my body parts.  The tanks I linked to seem to be able to be refilled whereever you refill your 20# tanks but I may need to get an adaptor for them to use in refilling the tanks.

I like the Luci inflatable solar lanterns.  Not sure how they would hold up with scouts operating them, but I have not had any issues with them.  Of course, they can not match the brightness of the fuel powered lanterns.

I like the Luci inflatable solar lanterns.  Not sure how they would hold up with scouts operating them, but I have not had any issues with them.  Of course, they can not match the brightness of the fuel powered lanterns.

this reminds me of the hack of using an empty milk jug (or similar thing) with a small flashlight inside

this reminds me of the hack of using an empty milk jug (or similar thing) with a small flashlight inside

I like the idea of using Chapstick, a Q-Tip and a cut open aluminum can.  Not good for a patrol to cook by, but fun for the guys to make.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...