Charter Agreement revision

I hope the BSA will explain that statement about new troop applications needing to be approved by national.

I think that if the prospective charter partner does not have a recognized "code," National level approval will be required to allow the unit to charter.

If the CO falls under an existing code, it can be approved locally.

Codes are on PDF page 131 (printed page number 125)

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/membership/pdf/522-925_wb.pdf

Edited to add:

I was trying to remember where I had heard that.  it turns out it's the last paragraph of the revised chartering agreement (http://www.scouting.org/filestore/membership/pdf/524-182_web.pdf)

All new organizations applying for a charter must have an approved code issued by the National

Council. As a private organization, the Boy Scouts of America is the sole arbiter of whether it will issue

a charter to any organization. The Boy Scouts of America may deny a charter for any reason or revoke

a previously issued charter failure to abide by these guidelines.

Edited by 00Eagle

"" Chartered organizations must utilize the Scouting program to accomplish specific objectives related to one or more of the following:

• Youth character development
  • Career skill development
  • Community service
  • Patriotism and military and veteran recognition
  • Faith-based youth ministry  ""

Don't tell the Scouts we're trying to teach them "character development ", they might quit.     I need to go camping and hiking more often....

"""methods of Scouting The eight methods are the ideals (Scout Oath, Scout Law, Scout motto, and Scout slogan), patrol method, outdoors, advancement, association with adults, personal growth, leadership development, and the uniform. """

Interesting publication there 00Eagle, thanks for pointing it out. I had never seen it before. I see a few catch-all codes, for example, it is difficult to think of a non-religious organization that could not be squeezed into code 102: Clubs, Other. So my suspicion is that this SE in Utah decided he wanted to pass the buck to National, and the code system gave him a good way to do it.

Interesting publication there 00Eagle, thanks for pointing it out. I had never seen it before. I see a few catch-all codes, for example, it is difficult to think of a non-religious organization that could not be squeezed into code 102: Clubs, Other. So my suspicion is that this SE in Utah decided he wanted to pass the buck to National, and the code system gave him a good way to do it.

I hadn't seen the code list, but knew it had to exist.  It's how they report chartering percentages nationally, e.g. this many Elks lodges, this many Catholic parishes,...  So I googled for it.