Copying this from a Facebook post. CVC is my neighboring council and Bayport is a relatively new camp which replaced Camp Chickahominy which became surrounded by residential development. Located on a river, Bayport had one of the finest aquatics programs in the region.
Last year we were informed that our council camp, Bayport Scout Reservation (http://www.bayportsr.org) was in in jeopardy of being closed due to its financial burden to the council. Since this time, the situation has only grown worse, now not only is the camp in serious peril but the council, our family, operations are also at an all-time low. Yes Bayport is the camp, the home, for CVC and that home is in danger – but more importantly the family is in danger. The family is the core, a home can be relocated – the family must be saved or a home is useless. The problem has become so dire that we had to turn the deed to the camp and council office building over to the lien holder. Furthermore the National leadership is considering dissolving our council, our family, and splitting us into other groups.
The bank has not decided what they are going to do with the deed; they too do not want to see the family fall apart. So we still have a chance to save the family and also maybe, with enough support also save the house our camp. We earnestly need donors that will help us to not lose our scouting family and if possible our scouting family’s home. After a careful review of the books, our goals are;
1. Raise a minimum of $60,000 by the end of November 2015 for the operating costs of providing our scouting program – to keep the family strong.
2. Attempt to raise $380,000 by the end of November 2015 to go to the operating costs with the hope that National will recognize this effort and save the family.
3. Attempt to ultimately raise $6 million as quickly as possible to save not only the family but to pay off the capital loan, thus saving the camp – our home.
All reading this can help in a couple of ways;
1) Donate, whatever you can $1, $10, $100 to the CVC Friends of Scouting (FOS) campaign. Every dollar gets us “one” step closer. To donate, you can send a check to Colonial Virginia Council at 11721 Jefferson Ave, Newport News Va. 23606 or on line at,https://cvcboyscouts...m/event/1538149. But more importantly,
2) Raise awareness of our situation. Use your social networks to get this word and request for assistance to as many as possible. Place a post on your social pages and reach out to those in your circles that would help if they knew the severity of the problem.
But if you are a Scout/Scouter in the CVC I am asking for each of you to “Do a Good Turn” today and be that Scout/Scouter that “helps other people at all times”. There are some simple ways that we can solve this crisis from the grass roots level;
1) Support and actively engage in youth recruitment – the youth is what this is about.
2) Support the Popcorn Sale; it is to us what cookies are to Girls Scouts.
3) Individual Scout Units, BE CREATIVE, it is what we as Scouts/Scouters do best, heck have your unit do a carwash with the proceeds going to FOS or talk to charter organization about sponsoring a fund raising event such as a spaghetti dinner, oyster roast, barbeque, etc. with them furnishing the fixings and you furnishing the labor.
4) Family Friends of Scouting is a great way to support local Scouting; consideration should be given to conducting a presentation in your unit for this year. Contact your District Executive or our Acting Scout Executive to schedule a presentation.
Remember that all DONATIONS ARE TAX DEDUCTIBLE by using our id number of 54-0505994 which is in good standing with the IRS. The goal remains firm, to serve a growing number of youth in our community with an incredible Scouting program and Scouting experience.
On behalf of the 7,000+ scouts just in our Colonial Virginia Council family that you are helping – I want THANK YOU. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask. Remember the “Power of One”, one person, one church, one business, one group, one action… it all starts with one. Please help by being part of the “One that Saves the CVC and Bayport Scout Reservation”.
With my deepest gratitude,
Volunteer Scouter – Venturing Crew #595