Scout to be RANK

In this months Advancement News, http://files.ctctcdn.com/137c2ed6201/7b35c577-45ad-4c91-a0be-be041f63c9be.pdf, it shows what appears to be a new Scout rank patch.  I suspect this will roll out with the new requirements as it will be a rank, not just signifying membership.

rank_patches.png

Edo

Edited by John-in-KC
Using this thread to denote official changes creating the RANK of SCOUT. -- Mods

Yep.  Another example of  "I'm the new boss(s) and I have to  leave my mark on things".

Join, meet requirements, become a "Scout".  You didn't become a Scout when mom signed the check for dues?   Tenderfoot used to be the Newbie's  badge...

• Upvote 3

I guess I understand the symbolism behind changing the color of the fleur-de-lis from the brown "outline" to the full-fledged fleur-de-lis in "gold." I know there is an ECOH script that has been used at some of the ceremonies in our troop that goes through all the ranks and discusses the symbolism of each patch and how it reflects what the Eagle candidate actually did along the way, and the idea of the (old) Scout badge was that it was just an "outline" created at the beginning of the Scout's "journey", to be "filled in" as the Scout learned and grew while progressing through the ranks. Whether that symbolism for the Scout badge was intended by National, I was never sure. This apparent change indicates to me that perhaps it was intended and that the conversion of Scout to a "rank" is symbolized by the fact that the fleur-de-lis is no longer just an outline. It sounds good, anyway.

What I would have preferred, however, is that they keep "Scout" as a joining badge, with the "old" patch, and if they wanted to create something between the joining badge and Tenderfoot, that gold fleur-de-lis would work well as a "step up" from the brown. What they would have called that new rank, I don't know. I suppose they could have called it Tenderfoot, and what is now the Tenderfoot rank/patch could have been called... Third Class? I suppose that would not have sat well with a lot of people. :) It also would have ended 105 years of the Tenderfoot patch looking pretty much the way it does now. Oh well, what's in a name.

• Upvote 1

Works for the Navy.

That's probably where I got the idea from... not to mention that Third is one lower than Second. :) But I doubt "Third Class" would go over very well in Scouting today. Not that I think it matters, because I don't think the BSA is going to create the additional badge that I am speculating about.

By the way, in looking at the above graphic of the current rank patches... is it just me, or do the Eagles on the Tenderfoot, First Class and Life patches appear not to be Bald Eagles? I just noticed that. (I'm letting the silver one on the Eagle patch go, since it is not trying to be the same colors as an actual Bald Eagle.)

Edited by NJCubScouter
  • 1 month later...

Effective January 1, 2016.

From Bryan on Scouting, SCOUT to be a RANK.

Approved Requirements:

New Scout rank requirements

All requirements for the Scout rank must be completed as a member of a troop. If a Scout has already completed these requirements as part of the Webelos Scouting Adventure, he must simply demonstrate his knowledge or skills to his Scoutmaster or other designated leader after joining the troop.

1a. Repeat from memory the Scout Oath, Scout Law, Scout motto, and Scout slogan. In your own words, explain their meaning.

1b. Explain what Scout spirit is. Describe some ways you have shown Scout spirit by practicing the Scout Oath, Scout Law, Scout motto, and Scout slogan.

1c. Demonstrate the Boy Scout sign, salute, and handshake. Explain when they should be used.

1d. Describe the First Class Scout badge and tell what each part stands for. Explain the significance of the First Class Scout badge.

PS:  Kudos to @@WAKWIB for finding this

1e. Repeat from memory the Outdoor Code. In your own words, explain what the Outdoor Code means to you.

1f. Repeat from memory the Pledge of Allegiance. In your own words, explain its meaning.

2. After attending at least one Boy Scout troop meeting, do the following:

2a. Describe how the Scouts in the troop provide its leadership.

2b. Describe the four steps of Boy Scout advancement.

2c. Describe the Boy Scout ranks and how they are earned.

2d. Describe what merit badges are and how they are earned.

3a. Explain the patrol method. Describe the types of patrols that are used in your troop.

3b. Become familiar with your patrol name, emblem, flag, and yell. Explain how these items create patrol spirit.

4a. Show how to tie a square knot, two half-hitches, and a taut-line hitch. Explain how each knot is used.

4b. Show the proper care of a rope by learning how to whip and fuse the ends of different kinds of rope.

5. Demonstrate your knowledge of pocketknife safety.

6. With your parent or guardian, complete the exercises in the pamphlet How to Protect Your Children From Child Abuse: A Parent’s Guide and earn the Cyber Chip Award for your grade.

7. Since joining the troop and while working on Scout rank, participate in a Scoutmaster conference.

Edited by John-in-KC

By the way, in looking at the above graphic of the current rank patches... is it just me, or do the Eagles on the Tenderfoot, First Class and Life patches appear not to be Bald Eagles? I just noticed that. (I'm letting the silver one on the Eagle patch go, since it is not trying to be the same colors as an actual Bald Eagle.)

I think we now know who has the eagle's eyes in this forum.  I know that the rank patches (except for Eagle Scout) that have the eagle on it all used to portray adult bald eagles.  For the 2010 centennial rank patches, the white heads and tails were dropped from the Tenderfoot, First Class and Life rank patches, but not from the Star rank patch and it appears that those patterns are still being used today.

Were it not for the centennial rank patches, I might have thought the BSA still has a boatload of star rank patches to go through before they could eliminate the white head and tail on the patch but now I'm not so sure.  I think it's a fair guess to say that the BSA has eliminated the white head and tail from the other patches to same money, but I don't know what they wouldn't have changed the eagle for the Star rank patch.