Derrick Belfall, 1926-1940

At my blog today, I have some stories of Boy Scouts who served as civilian defense volunteers during the Second World War.  I started out planning a short piece, but I got sidetracked by some of the stories of British Scouts who served their country during the war.

post-6383-0-91140000-1440816546_thumb.jpg

In particular, I have the story of Derrick Belfall, a 14 year old scout from Bristol, England, who served as a civil defense messenger.  During an air raid on December 2, 1940, he was sent with a message, which he delivered.  On his return to his post, he passed a house that had caught fire, and he stopped to fight the fire.  When the homeowner took over, he continued on his way, but heard cries for help.  He entered another house where he rescued an injured baby.

With the air raid still underway, he continued back to his post, but was injured in an explosion.  He was taken to the hospital, where he died of his injuries.  His final words at the hospital were, "Messenger Belfall reporting.  I have delivered my message."

I have more details and photos at:

http://onetuberadio.com/2015/08/29/boy-scout-civilian-defense-volunteers-in-ww2/

Edited by clemlaw